Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #1

Rivets

I have about 20 rivet heads popped of sidewall of RV,both sides. Has anyone tried to shoot replacement rivets and where did they get them?
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #2

I would be finding out why they are popping.

You may have some bad mounts letting the house twist or sag.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #3

Good advice. Find the root cause of the stress that popped the rivets.

There isn't much involved to drill out rivets and replace with the same or oversized or different material (stainless steel vs aluminum).

But, just replacing without determining what stressed them is probably not a good idea.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Can you post some pictures of what they look like and where they are located.

There are reports on either screws or rivets coming loose at the belt line or awning area on Monaco coaches. Monaco didn't use stainless screws and after a period of time they rust and fail.

I had an area of delamination that I had to repair and when I removed the belt line I found a bunch of screws loose, none popped off but they weren't doing anything. I uses SS rivets to put it all back together. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

bought bits to be able to install this size rivet.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #5

I've repaired about half dozen rivets. Replacements are easy to find at most hardware stores. I picked up my last pack at a local Ace. Sometime you don't have to fully drill out the old one, just take it far enough back to lightly punch out the rest, or if the backside is accessible, grab the stub with vice grips and work it out, assuming of course that what's left toward the front isn't expanded in the hole. I prefer to not drill all the way through unless I can see the drill is remaining centered. Drilling it part way and punching it out reduces the chance of the drill wandering off center and enlarging the hole. Be very careful with the punch trick if the rivet is going through the thin skin. My broken rivets have been on my slide edge trim. Another trick is to use a slightly undersized drill, then tap out what's left. Use your judgement as to what method works best for the place you are working. If there isn't much backing, or you aren't sure, then don't "punch" because you don't want to put divots in your skin. The hardest ones to drill out are the ones where the center pin is still in place. For those I've tried to gentle tap on the pin to see if I can drive it out first. Using a small drill to try to drill alongside the pin to release it can work, but you have to be very careful not to break the drill bit.

If you are careful, it isn't as hard as it sounds.

Odds are they are aluminum rivets. If they are don't replace with steel or you could end up with galvanic corrosion. It's easy to tell. Broken steel ones will rust. You may find the ones you get at the hardware store have a slightly different sized head from the factory ones. As long as it's close you are ok.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote