Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
Chad
First let me say I have never been in any other Monaco when it was in motion, so I have little to compare as far as ride. We previously owned a '95 HR Endeavor LE 35' pusher (pre-Monaco) and our post Source REK Cayman rides and handles better. The first thing we did after getting the Source installation at Alliance Coach in Wildwood, Fla. (old MCC facility) was an alignment at Josams in Orlando, to include a 4 corner weighing. Replacing the trailing arms sure could affect the alignment. So, not only does our Cayman track straight, but I know it weighs 1600 lbs more on passenger rear than on driver's side. Since all tires on the same axle must carry the same psi, just knowing the total weight of the rear axle (total weight divided by 4) would have caused me to under inflate the passenger duals. That is the biggest cause of blowouts. It is might nigh impossible to get an accurate weighing side to side at a scale as leaning will transfer weight, along with some other variables I am not qualified to discuss. If your ride is not satisfactory to you, I strongly urge the REK. But you must get a quality alignment afterward. Only you can decide how long you expect to keep the coach, etc. For me, we were looking at a used coach when we found our new Cayman at St Augustine Camping World. If it were not for MCC's demise before CW could sell it, plus a number of other lucky factors, we would never have purchased a new Monaco. We knew about the RR4R trailing arms problem prior to buying thanks to a timely article in FMCA magazine and used that to bargain with CW (and got quite a few deals from the CW store side). Unless we win the lotto and we seldom buy a ticket, then this will be our coach for quite some time. This spring I face buying new tires, ughhh...I will probably change to a bit wider tire (same rim) and hopefully, at a lower psi, will smooth the ride some more. Good luck.
Frank
Frank
Happy new year!
Don't get me wrong, I am not displeased with my coaches ride, but would like to have it better if it is possible. Kinda like everyone wants just a little more HP and torque. And I do believe the source rek will make it ride better. I think what myself and philliec were discussing the amount of improvement for those $$. Also, I believe philliec is a little more knowledgeable than I on air spring systems and was asking about just adding ping tanks.

Summer 2012, before taking 6000 mile trip out west I purchased new Michelin tires and replaced slightly rivering Goodyear tires. At this time I had a laser alignment done at tire shop. Right after this I performed ride height adjustment and changed out all 4 shocks to new Bilstein. I am not sure which of these made the improvement or a combination of all but it is better than before. Before that it rode and drove good, but I do believe these made a slight improvement. Probably ride height adjustment was best and I believe what helped porpoising. When trailing arms were installed I believe about 1 1/2 years before shocks and tires it seemed to help porpoising somewhat.

I have weighed my coach a couple of times but never found place that could do individual side weights. Every time I have done this I was well below axle and gvw ratings but I still run maximum air pressure in tires as posted inside weight sticker behind driver. I also chose same size tires as before, 255/70/22.5 Michelin. I have read some going next size tire and running lower pressures and that would probably help a lot. I really think I could run less pressure than I am but am skeptical since I do not have individual weights and like you may have a heavy side and I don't want to risk it.

Thanks again for sharing your findings and hopefully this year I can get the rek installed and report back how wonderful it is. Happy new year to you and yours.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #44

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well I did a lot of reading on the web last night on ping tanks, Ridewell suspensions and the lot. Adding a ping tank sounds easy if the stock airbag has a large enough air inlet. The Source Engineering uses a 5/8" air line to go from the front air bags to the 1 ping tank, and then a 1/4" air line delivers the air to the ping tank. However, the air ride suspension is also tied to the brakes and that scares the heck out of me in tinkering around with the front suspension. Also, the devil is n the details and I am concerned that just adding a ping tank might require a lot more engineering than I am giving credit to.

I am heading down to Houston today and will contact RV Masters on the subject, but the way I feel now I am probably going for the whole enchilada from Source Engineering. Their Trailing Arm mod is fantastic and a huge improvement over the stock arm. I can only imagine at this time the difference in the ride after the REK-203 kit is installed.
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliec View Post
Well I did a lot of reading on the web last night on ping tanks, Ridewell suspensions and the lot. Adding a ping tank sounds easy if the stock airbag has a large enough air inlet. The Source Engineering uses a 5/8" air line to go from the front air bags to the 1 ping tank, and then a 1/4" air line delivers the air to the ping tank. However, the air ride suspension is also tied to the brakes and that scares the heck out of me in tinkering around with the front suspension. Also, the devil is n the details and I am concerned that just adding a ping tank might require a lot more engineering than I am giving credit to.

I am heading down to Houston today and will contact RV Masters on the subject, but the way I feel now I am probably going for the whole enchilada from Source Engineering. Their Trailing Arm mod is fantastic and a huge improvement over the stock arm. I can only imagine at this time the difference in the ride after the REK-203 kit is installed.
Philliec, I believe you hit the nail on the head. The rek is the best bet for the money. The engineering is already done and is proven in the real world. Trying to piece a kit together not knowing if it would work or not and everything involved to save a few hundred bucks on a $75,000+ piece of machinery. What kind of sense is that? Hopefully the new year will bring plenty of green so the rek can come my way. LOL
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote