Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #1

Roadmaster rr8r chassis improvements

We have a 2013 Monaco knight 36pft on a roadmaster rr8r chassis.
I am Looking for recommendatios to upgrade the suspension. Overall, the coach has a comfortable ride, but there is a lot of driver fatigue on the highway because of wind gusts and passing big rigs.

I’ve done some research and found many products, but I don’t know anything about suspensions so it all confuses me.

Any suggestions on what would work best for this Monaco/roadmaster combination.
Plutodaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #2

Contact these people at Hendersons lineup this is the best place to start with what you have described.

https://supersteerparts.com/products...g-control.html

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutodaisy View Post
We have a 2013 Monaco knight 36pft on a roadmaster rr8r chassis.
I am Looking for recommendatios to upgrade the suspension. Overall, the coach has a comfortable ride, but there is a lot of driver fatigue on the highway because of wind gusts and passing big rigs.

I’ve done some research and found many products, but I don’t know anything about suspensions so it all confuses me.

Any suggestions on what would work best for this Monaco/roadmaster combination.
Change steering box from a Shepard to a TRW.
Add the front Watts link.
Add the rear crossbars.

Check out this link:
www.monacowatts.com
Read these two theads:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mon...on-249622.html

You will not know it is the same coach.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Many owners have reported great results from installing the Monaco Watts kit. This kit was developed by one of our talented IRV2 members.
Take a look at the web site for more info: monacowatts.com
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Contact these people at Hendersons lineup this is the best place to start with what you have described.

https://supersteerparts.com/products...g-control.html
These Henderson parts do not pertain to your coach.
www.Monacowatts.com Mike provides the only solution for your problem. Everything else is "snake oil" trying to hide the real problem from you. Fix the PROBLEM, not the SYMPTOM.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. Great information !
Old 07-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
These Henderson parts do not pertain to your coach.
www.Monacowatts.com Mike provides the only solution for your problem. Everything else is "snake oil" trying to hide the real problem from you. Fix the PROBLEM, not the SYMPTOM.

WOW.......I sent the link for the search for any and all parts for the coach the OP may have need for.........Some people will search a site for any and all information about their coach, I Know I Would.......Others will just Wait To Be Fed........Hendersons is known for their knowledge of the Monaco Beaver brand....

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Change steering box from a Shepard to a TRW.

Add the front Watts link.

Add the rear crossbars.

Check out this link:

www.monacowatts.com

Read these two theads:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mon...on-249622.html

You will not know it is the same coach.

Bob

X2 on what Bob said....

I have a 2006 Camelot 40 PDQ that we have had since new. Over time, the coach became a handful to keep it in the lane. I hated to drive it, and remember always looking at the bushes and trees along side of the road just to see if it was the wind that was causing the two handed, white knuckle challenge.....it turned out that there was rarely any indication of any wind! After driving only 250 miles in a day, I would be totally stressed out.

I read the thread here on iRV2, and learned how members from across the country worked together to come up with a solution for the Monaco chassis.

Mike Hughes and I installed his Front and Rear Watts Link kit, and Rear Cross Bars. From reading about the results of other members that had already installed Watts Links, I had high hopes. During the test drive, immediately after install, I was “blown away” (pun intended) by how the coach handled. It was better than when it was brand new. The most surprising aspect to me was how the rear end of the coach just felt “planted”.

It has been several years since then and I still love driving the coach. We have done lots of 500 mile days, and I don’t get stressed out. When you read other testimonials about driving with one hand, believe it. Money well spent.

Hope this helps,

Jim
zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Watts Links, rear cross bars and the TRW steering box were the best modifications I’ve done to my coach, well worth every penny.
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I have never experienced any stability problems on our 2002 40' Windsor. Right after buying it in 2012 we took a trip out west, traveling through many states known for high winds, and never had a problem. I think it has the RR8S chassis but not positive. What's different about mine?

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:18 PM   #11

I am just asking a question.

Is the 2013 he is looking at an original style RR8 road-master chassis?

I am Just curious, I thought after 2009 or so the original style chassis was no longer built....
Old 07-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #12

Hi Rusty,

I don’t know anything about chassis’s. I am just going buy the original brochure. It has 8 airbags so I assumed it must be the rr8r per the paperwork.

You might be right. I contacted Monacowatts to confirm the kits I needed. They told 2013 was a tricky year. They sent me some me some diagrams and asked to confirm dimensions.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I have never experienced any stability problems on our 2002 40' Windsor. Right after buying it in 2012 we took a trip out west, traveling through many states known for high winds, and never had a problem. I think it has the RR8S chassis but not positive. What's different about mine?

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

I have the same experience, my Windsor with the RR8S (s stands for side radiator). It tracks great, no wondering. I have driven 1000 miles in a day, not fatigued from driving just the duration. I guess I got lucky.

This was the last year that the Windsor had the full metal cage structure. It is much heavier then later years. The weight may contribute the better ride. (although my CCC sucks since my coach doesn't have beefier axle).
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutodaisy View Post
Hi Rusty,

I don’t know anything about chassis’s. I am just going buy the original brochure. It has 8 airbags so I assumed it must be the rr8r per the paperwork.

You might be right. I contacted Monacowatts to confirm the kits I needed. They told 2013 was a tricky year. They sent me some me some diagrams and asked to confirm dimensions.
OK so you must have some version of the original. If mike can set you up that should help you. Good deal.

Tags
chassis, roadmaster