Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I'm designated 'Essential Personnel' at one of my hospitals and was required to stay.

The choices were, leave the RV under a low area, metal open-roofed rental storage or move it to high ground.

I moved it to the leeward side of the Surgical Arts Building beside Bayshore Medical Center in Pasadena, TX, with the nose of the RV facing South. I was as close to the building as I could get, but still about 15 feet away. My thought was the winds would come from the East and North at first, hitting the opposite side of the building I had 'snugged' up to, and that wind rounding the building would hit the rear of the coach. The eye of the Hurricane was passing directly over us.

This monster came in as a Category 3, storm surge of 20-25 feet, and came straight up Galveston Bay. This is the area's worst nightmare, except for a Cat 4 or 5, of course.

I found that in a hurricane, there really isn't a 'leeward' side of ANYTHING!!! Interestingly, my anemometer showed winds of 68 mph with gusts to 90+, and the RV was not moving, shaking. I wasn't willing to ride out 90-110 with gusts to 145 mph, tho.

I lowered the MH a little, but not too much, and put down the levelers. Sides, of course, in. Buttoned up as tight as I could get.

The rain was so heavy at times that it was as if some giant was throwing entire buckets of water on the windshield - could not see any individual drops.

The eye was due at 2:30 - 3:00AM.At 10pm when the winds were showing a steady 68 mph with gusts to 90+, I moved into the hospital. The hospital lost power around midnight and went to emergency power. My RV was about 150 yards outside the back door, but I couldn't see it through the rain.

The next morning, at 0700, I left the hospital to go back to the RV. Well, I did have to brush my teeth! The winds were about 75-80 mph then, gusting much higher, and the rain was vicious, and I waded waist deep from the hospital back door through the parking lot to get to the higher ground where I have the RV. The rain drops actually hurt my face, neck and arms.

You've waited patiently for the bottom line.

The RV did great. No leaks, no damage. The plastic top of a trashcan hit the exhaust pipe so hard the pipe pierced the plastic and it stuck! The chrome tailpipe is dented on the bottom side. Something hit the grill and took some paint off, but just a little touch up will take care of that.

I'm impressed with the MH. Lucky, I know.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm designated 'Essential Personnel' at one of my hospitals and was required to stay.

The choices were, leave the RV under a low area, metal open-roofed rental storage or move it to high ground.

I moved it to the leeward side of the Surgical Arts Building beside Bayshore Medical Center in Pasadena, TX, with the nose of the RV facing South. I was as close to the building as I could get, but still about 15 feet away. My thought was the winds would come from the East and North at first, hitting the opposite side of the building I had 'snugged' up to, and that wind rounding the building would hit the rear of the coach. The eye of the Hurricane was passing directly over us.

This monster came in as a Category 3, storm surge of 20-25 feet, and came straight up Galveston Bay. This is the area's worst nightmare, except for a Cat 4 or 5, of course.

I found that in a hurricane, there really isn't a 'leeward' side of ANYTHING!!! Interestingly, my anemometer showed winds of 68 mph with gusts to 90+, and the RV was not moving, shaking. I wasn't willing to ride out 90-110 with gusts to 145 mph, tho.

I lowered the MH a little, but not too much, and put down the levelers. Sides, of course, in. Buttoned up as tight as I could get.

The rain was so heavy at times that it was as if some giant was throwing entire buckets of water on the windshield - could not see any individual drops.

The eye was due at 2:30 - 3:00AM.At 10pm when the winds were showing a steady 68 mph with gusts to 90+, I moved into the hospital. The hospital lost power around midnight and went to emergency power. My RV was about 150 yards outside the back door, but I couldn't see it through the rain.

The next morning, at 0700, I left the hospital to go back to the RV. Well, I did have to brush my teeth! The winds were about 75-80 mph then, gusting much higher, and the rain was vicious, and I waded waist deep from the hospital back door through the parking lot to get to the higher ground where I have the RV. The rain drops actually hurt my face, neck and arms.

You've waited patiently for the bottom line.

The RV did great. No leaks, no damage. The plastic top of a trashcan hit the exhaust pipe so hard the pipe pierced the plastic and it stuck! The chrome tailpipe is dented on the bottom side. Something hit the grill and took some paint off, but just a little touch up will take care of that.

I'm impressed with the MH. Lucky, I know.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats on making it through the storm. You did the right thing when figuring out where to park the coach. One must know where one is in relation to the eye and then park where there is the most shelter.

I understand what you mean by there is no good side to a hurricane. In 04 my house got hit with the southern eye wall of Francis. Three week later we were hit again with Jeane (the southeren part of the storm). These are supose to be the weakest part of the storm. Considerable damage resulted from Francis. Jeane just rearranged all the damage. In 05, Wilma went directly over my house. It's kind of surreal to watch the Weather Channel as the center of the storm passes right over your house. I was also able to see the radar from our local TV channel as I still inside the spot beam (evacuated about 150 miles).

Again, congrats and you did good.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I see you and the RV in an upcoming Monaco commercial. You will probably have to park in another hurricane so they can film the MH in action. I predict that they will for pay your diesel to drive to Florida to catch the next one.

Well done. I feel like my 07 SFT is now storm proof.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear you are ok.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #6

I'm glad you and your home survived without major damage. I hope the people living in their RV's at Livingston (SKP park) survived Ike also. Noone knows though, the escapees website and all communications are out.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
BudtheDiplomat,
Thank-you for hanging out to take care of the people in need during the hurricane. Most EXCELLANT service! And hey, nice job as being Monoco's "Quality Control Officer" too! Your taking it to extreems aren't you?

Seriously though, I'm thankful that you and the MH made it through okay. Hey, did you think of taking any pictures from inside and out of the motorhomes windsheild of the buckets of rain? That had to have been freaky. Leave it to me to ask for some pictures when the alligators are snappin' at your tail. Sheesh. Now that's a heck of a tale to tell!

Good luck with the rest of the week and the mess that "Ike" left. We at "irv2" are pulling for you.

AKBrick
Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Bud,

Glad eveything turned out OK for you and the
Dip.

Has anyone seen a post from Sixpack98? The storm went right over him as well. Hope all is well with Mark and Dawn.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bud, glad you and the motorhome are OK. Are you going to have to live in it (not that that's bad) until you get electricity back?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robin_M:
Has anyone seen a post from Sixpack98? The storm went right over him as well. Hope all is well with Mark and Dawn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robin,
I thought Mark might visit us at the Lone Star Rally in Canton on Thursday or Friday but he must have been making tracks to get out of Tyler. We decided to leave Canton Friday night and head back to Fort Worth where we only got a half inch of rain on Saturday.
CC
Old 09-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Made it through fine. By the time the storm went over Tyler it was down to about 50mph and gusts to 60mph or so. Lots of down trees around but we did not lose any. Just plenty of branches and leaves and the lake looked like the Gulf of Mexico. Lost power at the house and spent the night in the MH where we have it stored.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
[

Robin,
I thought Mark might visit us at the Lone Star Rally in Canton on Thursday or Friday but he must have been making tracks to get out of Tyler.
CC[/QUOTE]

The storm and my wifes mom taking a turn for the worse kept me from the rally.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sixpack98:
... my wifes mom taking a turn for the worse kept me from the rally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mark,
I'm sure Dawn needed your support during this difficult time. I hope her mother gets better soon. We'll catch you next time.
CC
Old 09-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, Bud, I am so glad you and your motorhome are okay! How crazy scary that must have been. Mark & Dawn, I don't know the details but my thoughts are with you. Stay safe, all!

Brenda, of...