Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #1

Rodent/Critter Detection another option

Food for thought I thought that I would throw out there on the subject Rodent/Critter detection.

First off I'm not pimping anyone’s product.

As most know once you see the rodents / critters signs of activity and the remnants it's to late they are in way deeper than you think.

None of the so-called deterrents claimed to work don’t be it hand soaps, dryer sheets and on and on.

The only thing that works and is really effective is human activity and even that is not fail-safe.

My security camera’s seen here have PIR’s sensor that can be set to be very very sensitive and that will pick up movement and heat.

I can set the the siren on the camera itself as a deterrent to go off when the PIR is activated and it will take a pic and send it to my-e-mail also if desired or watch live in HD.

Yes this is at my home where my coach stays so a very easy to set up and pretty cheap to do.

That said with the advancement in security camera’s today this could be done off site as well ...and not cost a fortune ….as least in comparison to rodent / critter infestation that once seen by you? Mickey Mouse has done far more damage that you cant ever imagine where you cant see.

Just another idea and not to be a “Be all-End all” but doing so you are sure going to have advance warning that they are on the prowl around your steed.

FYI this camera seen here has went off catching spiders crawling across the floor…..and all for less than $70.00Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4357 copy.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	376903

Happy Trails
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #2

Good idea.

The pest control industry is starting to use networked sensors to track activity. These are placed in areas of suspected activity, and monitor, record, and graph the number of times a rodent passes or investigates, or dwells in an area. Then, when a area is determined to have a certain number of "hits" exceeding an "action threshold" traps are loaded and when tripped send a signal to the monitoring software with the trap number and location.

In a large facility it can save a lot of trial and error guessing where to place traps or bait stations, and footwork visually checking for activity.

One potential next step for your set-up is to be able to view the general area where a rodent may be headed, then moving the camera to hone in on where the little stinker's entry point is.

Good luck. Let us know how it works.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:25 PM   #3

Great idea, thanks!

I recently had problems with rodents and will try this.

I have Wyze outdoor wireless cameras and the siren on PIR is an option.

Thanks for the idea! I'm setting it up now!
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:06 PM   #4

I'm a techno nerd but also like low tech when an option.

To determine if I have mice sometimes I'll leave a piece of bread. If it has bite marks then I know to step up the traps.

Or just put out glue traps with a glob of peanut butter in the middle. Usually I only catch bugs.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:26 PM   #5

I got a deal on a bunch of old security cameras and put them all over my motor home. The motion detector would trigger so that I could see where they were. I used this to know where to seal up holes. A lot of those holes were hidden behind equipment, so the cameras really helped.

I put one camera on the ground, looking to see where they first got in my motor home. I saw a lot of wildlife running around and even a chipmunk jump up to the exhaust pipe. I never saw a mouse, so I did not learn how they first got in.

One thing that I learned was that the old style mousetraps don't work. The mice would often sit on the trigger and lick the peanut butter clean. The mousetraps that did work much better were the same kind of spring traps, but the trigger was made from plastic, which was much more sensitive.

I also learned that the peanut butter stops attracting mice after a few weeks and must be renewed. Someone told me that Tootsie Rolls work. I tried them with good results, but they too only last a few weeks.

The green poison cubes don't seem to work. I would see the mice eat them, but there would still be mice. After a while, they would just ignore them.
Monaco_hwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:21 PM   #6

Critter recently broke my truck. It didn't care about anything going on around the truck. I banged on the truck, got under it with flashlight etc. I thought it was gone but my dog insisted it was still inside. Dog was 100% right.

Below is a video of my dog just before he got rid of the critter. You can see the critter on the exhaust in one part of the video.

https://youtu.be/DCxu_7e2ANU

Now all dog walks start and end with a trip around the truck...
Old 09-22-2022, 07:38 PM   #7

Update: Camera siren was useless against the squirrel today....
Old 09-22-2022, 08:06 PM   #8

There are cameras that have a motion detector that turns on a bright light when triggered. I wonder if that might be more effective?
Monaco_hwy is offline   Reply With Quote