RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 40,916
Roller coaster and chitty chitty bang bang ride

I saw the other thread similar to this, but I think my problem is of a different nature.

My coach rides on 8 air bags, yet when I hit rough places on the highway it feels and sounds like the body of the coach slams against the pavement!

Another thing I've noticed is that when moving slowly over very uneven or rough ground that makes the coach move side to side, the body of the coach seems to shift on the chassis and it makes a clunking sound as it does this.

The third thing is that at highway speeds, normally 60 MPH, when going over dips in the road it floats up and down like I am on a roller coaster!

Having never owned a Class A I don't know if this is normal. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated!
__________________

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Davdeb1's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Avon Lake, Oh
Posts: 2,916
Shocks? That sounds like what used to happen when my shocks were gone in older cars I had.
__________________

__________________
2000 HOLIDAY RAMBLER ENDEAVOR
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
X10 on bad shocks.



__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Robi.1014's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 906
Joe,
If your rig is bouncing multiple times after hitting a road dip, then I'm voting with the previous responders. But just be aware that a bounce-and-a-half (or so) is not too far from normal.

I'd like to address your comment " yet when I hit rough places on the highway it feels and sounds like the body of the coach slams against the pavement". Your shocks (although aging) may have worn out their grommet -type connections and indeed you may be experiencing metal-on-metal when road conditions are rough. This can be confirmed by a visual check. Practice good safety procedures when crawling under your rig.

But if money is not a problem, just purchase new shocks.
__________________
Robi & Dale ---- Go Navy ----
2016 Winnie TOUR 42'
Tow: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
Bilstein, or if you can afford them, Koni.



__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
nodine's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I saw the other thread similar to this, but I think my problem is of a different nature.

My coach rides on 8 air bags, yet when I hit rough places on the highway it feels and sounds like the body of the coach slams against the pavement!

Another thing I've noticed is that when moving slowly over very uneven or rough ground that makes the coach move side to side, the body of the coach seems to shift on the chassis and it makes a clunking sound as it does this.

The third thing is that at highway speeds, normally 60 MPH, when going over dips in the road it floats up and down like I am on a roller coaster!

Having never owned a Class A I don't know if this is normal. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated!
Two things that you need to do and they can be done at the same time. I would highly recommend that you take your coach to Josams and have them install 8 Koni FSD shocks and adjust the ride height of your coach. Sounds like the ride height is way off and your shocks are wore out. Hold on to your pocket book because the shocks are not cheap but worth every penny. You will think you are driving a different motorhome. Other dealers can do the job but I don't trust them to adjust the ride height.

Thanks for the ride back in time when the kids were young and we watched Mary Poppins.

Bob
__________________
Bob and Pam
2006 Diplomat 40PDQ
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24,023
I see they have told you about shocks,, I will tell you about other things RVs do

Rocking side to side ("Lean to the left, Lean to the right stand up sit down fright fright fright", ok, I changed that old cheer just a bit)

Sway bars fix this

Wagging,, This is where the tai (or nose) moves side to side, Trac Bar, also called Pan-hard bar, Fixes this.

Wandering.. (Actual steering issue) Steering stabilizer helps to keep you on the straight, alas I hope it's not narrow, Narrow is ... Hard on the underware.

These devices encourage the rig to go straight ahead, I use a Blue-OX True Center myself. (Along with a Davis (My name is Davis, no relation) Track Bar. The factory sway bars seem to do the job.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 40,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Two things that you need to do and they can be done at the same time. I would highly recommend that you take your coach to Josams and have them install 8 Koni FSD shocks and adjust the ride height of your coach. Sounds like the ride height is way off and your shocks are wore out. Hold on to your pocket book because the shocks are not cheap but worth every penny. You will think you are driving a different motorhome. Other dealers can do the job but I don't trust them to adjust the ride height.

Thanks for the ride back in time when the kids were young and we watched Mary Poppins.

Bob
Bob, who is "Josams" Tell me more about the shocks you mentioned. Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
I'm obviously not Bob, but to answer you're question,

Josam - Truck Frame and Alignment Specialist Worldwide



__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
nodine's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Bob, who is "Josams" Tell me more about the shocks you mentioned. Thanks!
Joe,

Dunner has given you the link to Josams. They are considered the best in the business for the Monaco Roadmaster chassis and are located in Orlando, FL. I thought I had everything perfect on our coach until Josams set the ride height. I had previously had it set by Buddy Gregg once and Lazydays once. After Josams set the ride height the ride was improved 100%. The Koni FSD shocks are Frequency Selective Damping and automatically adjust to the harshness of the bump. If your coach has worn shocks, which it most likely does, any new shock will make a big improvement. In my opinion the Koni FSD works the best on the Roadmaster 8 bag chassis.

Good luck,

Bob
__________________
Bob and Pam
2006 Diplomat 40PDQ
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 40,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Joe,

Dunner has given you the link to Josams. They are considered the best in the business for the Monaco Roadmaster chassis and are located in Orlando, FL. I thought I had everything perfect on our coach until Josams set the ride height. I had previously had it set by Buddy Gregg once and Lazydays once. After Josams set the ride height the ride was improved 100%. The Koni FSD shocks are Frequency Selective Damping and automatically adjust to the harshness of the bump. If your coach has worn shocks, which it most likely does, any new shock will make a big improvement. In my opinion the Koni FSD works the best on the Roadmaster 8 bag chassis.

Good luck,


Bob
Bob, what is the approximate cost of having the Koni FSD shocks installed?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
nodine's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Bob, what is the approximate cost of having the Koni FSD shocks installed?
Joe,

I did my own so not sure what the labor charge would be. You are looking at about $1250 for 8 Koni FSD shocks plus labor. If you call Josams they could give you and exact price for both the shock install and the ride height adjustment.

Bob
__________________
Bob and Pam
2006 Diplomat 40PDQ
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Papa_Jim's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manitoba,Canada
Posts: 2,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I saw the other thread similar to this, but I think my problem is of a different nature.

My coach rides on 8 air bags, yet when I hit rough places on the highway it feels and sounds like the body of the coach slams against the pavement!

Another thing I've noticed is that when moving slowly over very uneven or rough ground that makes the coach move side to side, the body of the coach seems to shift on the chassis and it makes a clunking sound as it does this.

The third thing is that at highway speeds, normally 60 MPH, when going over dips in the road it floats up and down like I am on a roller coaster!

Having never owned a Class A I don't know if this is normal. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated!
Hi Joe,

I went through exactly the same thing after we bought our coach. Turned out that the original Bilstein shocks were the problem, plus the top rubber bushing was gone on most of the shocks. I installed the new Bilstein shocks, and all is good.

Some say that the new Bilstein shock is as good as the Koni. I don't know, I never tried the Koni, but our Bilstein shocks work just fine.
__________________
2016 Creekside 23RKS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4X4 Cummins 6.7L
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 40,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
Hi Joe,

I went through exactly the same thing after we bought our coach. Turned out that the original Bilstein shocks were the problem, plus the top rubber bushing was gone on most of the shocks. I installed the new Bilstein shocks, and all is good.

Some say that the new Bilstein shock is as good as the Koni. I don't know, I never tried the Koni, but our Bilstein shocks work just fine.
How much were the Bilstein shocks and where do you get the top rubber bushings?
__________________

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×