Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Roof Air Won't Turn On

Our front roof air unit won't turn on. A couple days ago when we came to leave our campsite and turned the AC off, it sort of "hiccuped" a couple times before it shut off. Didn't think much about it until today, when it wouldn't turn on. Also, the "fan only" function won't work. I hear a click but it won't turn on. This is on a 2006 HR Vacationer.
I checked the breaker and fuses and connections and all look good. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks. It is on 50 Amps and the rear one works good.
Washtubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Cycle the breaker on/off and reset it, one of ours will trip but it doesn't look like it.

If that doesn't work try resetting the thermostat, depending on what kind you have it takes different methods. Here is one for a 5 button Duotherm

If this doesn't work you will have to trouble shoot you system. If the fan is not coming on it rules out some of the other functions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Duotherm.pdf (672.6 KB, 97 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #3

My front a/c quit one time. Hours and hours of trouble shooting and for some reason I decided to try it with the gen and it worked fine. Then I pluged into the 30 amp and it worked. Turns out, half of the parks 50 amp breaker was out.
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #4

Won't work with the Gen either. Reset breaker, but still no-go. Anyone else??
Old 05-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Try this. Happened to me several years ago. Remove the thermostat from the wall. There is a phone plug type wire plugged into the back of it. Unplug it and plug it back in. Put thermostat back on wall and try it.

It's a long shot, but easy to check.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have an EMS (Electrical Management System). This system relies on relays to drop in and/or engage the various electrical components it controls. If the relay for that particular item fails it will not run. You can bypass the EMS system for that component to test if this is the problem.

My EMS board failed last year, none of the things it controlled worked, AC1, AC2, Water Heater, Washer Dryer. Had to replace upgrade the board. I did bypass the EMS system until I got parts but then had to manage my consumption manually.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #7

I do have the EMS. Everything else works but the front AC.
How do I bypass EMS for this problem?
Old 05-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure you have power coming through the distribution panel? If you are not comfortable with using a volt meter I wouldn't recommend you fool with it.

Check the voltage at the breaker first. If there is power at the breaker then the easiest thing to do is see if you have 120 volt power at the AC unit junction box. If you have power there then it is coming through the EMS board.

If you don't have power to the AC unit but power coming through the breaker then it could be your EMS board. There is a reset procedure that you could try first before trying to bypass. At that point I would call M & M Electronics in Ohio, they are experts on the Intellitec system and can walk you through trouble shooting. They helped me when I had to replace my board.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Roof Air Won't Turn On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washtubman View Post
Our front roof air unit won't turn on. A couple days ago when we came to leave our campsite and turned the AC off, it sort of "hiccuped" a couple times before it shut off. Didn't think much about it until today, when it wouldn't turn on. Also, the "fan only" function won't work. I hear a click but it won't turn on. This is on a 2006 HR Vacationer.
I checked the breaker and fuses and connections and all look good. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks. It is on 50 Amps and the rear one works good.

You could pull the cover and check your capacitors. If you need one this is a good source http://www.carbonbrush.com/startcapacitors250.htm
Be careful of the caps. They carry high current and can zap you if you don't discharge them.
Sometimes they will physically blow their contents and you can see they are bad. Otherwise a motor shop can test them. Short the top terminals to discharge them with a rubber handled screwdriver

Mine has two capacitors under the AC cover and one 10 Amp small motor start assist cap under them. The small one is about an inch long

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #10

Thanks everyone. Motor start capacitor was bad. Man, it's nice to have AC in Alabama!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear you got it fixed. And thanks for closing the loop so the rest of us can learn from it, a lot of folks don't follow-up with their solutions.
RustyTools is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:02 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Do you have an EMS (Electrical Management System). This system relies on relays to drop in and/or engage the various electrical components it controls. If the relay for that particular item fails it will not run. You can bypass the EMS system for that component to test if this is the problem.

My EMS board failed last year, none of the things it controlled worked, AC1, AC2, Water Heater, Washer Dryer. Had to replace upgrade the board. I did bypass the EMS system until I got parts but then had to manage my consumption manually.
I also had the same EMS problem. The tech bypassed the EMS until it was replaced.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #13

My fix was to replace both start and run capacitors. Did both AC units because they are over 15 years old.

Now, they start up fine.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I did the same and last year had fire shoot out this little 10 amp motor start cap that was located below the two main capacitors and hard to see. It's only a bit over an inch long. You can see the hole in the capacitor and the melted bracket that holds it. So mine had three capacitors. The two big ones and this little one. When I replaced the other unit small cap I found it had tried to wiggle out of the bracket and would have arched to the metal case.
I think they call this little one a 10 amp motor start assist.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431472715.669807.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	94107Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431472730.575060.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	94108

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC