Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Roof ladder replacement

Got in an arguement with a tree branch and you can guess who won!

I checked with a local RV service center and they told me that Monaco wants $265 for a new ladder, plus $50 crate fee, and $70 to ship truck freight! All that for an aluminum ladder that weight less than 20 lbs. That is too much money!

Anyone got any suggestions on a similiar more reasonably priced alternative?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Look under the bottom step for a label which should have a number. Call the following with that number.

Christianson Industries
27328 May Street
Edwardsburg, MI 49112
269-663-8502

Not real sure this is the manufacturer, but they made many of the ladders Monaco uses.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Considering the weight capacity of that ladder... And my 330 pounds (At the time, lighter now) I removed it completly, had my body man make a pair of "J:" hooks (Genuine J' shape) and bolted them to the back wall just below the roof line, 4 good lag bolts all into solid wood.

I put a shower grab bar (Assist bar) near the bottom of the back wall.

I have a convertable (Step/Extension) ladder

It hangs on the hooks and is cable and bungy locked to the assist bar.

This thing is great

As mounted it is a good replacement for the factory ladder

I can "extend" it and re-hang it and it makes a good anchor point for my long wire ham antenna

I remove it and extend it and it is far easier to use than the original roof ladder (Plus I can get on and off the roof at other points)

In the Step ladder it's perfect for washing and waxing and side of the rig service.

So it's Three, Three, Three ladders in one.

Plus, with a 250 pound rating it takes my still over 300 like I was a feather weight.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Found the sticker under one of the rungs but half of it was gone and what was left is so severly eroded that no number or remains of a number is visible. Any other ideas?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Well call that vendor I posted earlier. Give them the model and year of your coach. Take measurements from the bottom bracket to the next bracket and count the number of steps. Give them that information and perhaps they can identify it, and provide a new one for you.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I talked to the folks at Christianson Industries. Yes, they do/did make ladders but they really need the number that's printed on a label underneath a rung/step. Mine is gone (see previous post).
Is there anyone who has a coach similiar to mine that I can get the ladder number off of? I imagine that the Monaco Knight used the ladder as the HR Ambassador. I'm also thinking that ladders were the same for 2008-2010 model years. Would like to get numbers from a sample of each year and model to confirm they are (or aren't) identical. Thanks in advance to all who reply!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #7

I have a brand new one for a Beaver Contessa and most of the Monoco line with split ladders. If you're near VA, I'll make you a great deal. FWIW, the packaging Monaco does is really good. I have a new one because I needed a replacement for removal lower half on the ladder and ended up with the whole thing.

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Just a quick follow up:
I managed to get the numbers from my original selling dealer. Top fixed ladder is 21605866 , lower removable ladder is 21603967. Cost of upper ladder is $150 plus a $15 crate fee and freight or UPS shipping. Takes about four weeks to get one as they only make them on order.
Thanks to all who offered help/advice.