Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #1

Roof Question

As some of you already know I just bought my Motor Home a 2001 it only had 11,000 miles on it, so that means it sat for quite some time. The one good thing is it sat in California. Now it is in Tennessee

I was looking at the roof the other day and I assume it is Aluminum which I think I like better then Rubber.

Anyway my question is I noticed that the seams are taped with some sort of gray putty covered with Aluminum. It looks to me that it is shriveling and becoming bumpy along the edges. (for lack of a better description). Anyway is there something I do do with it? I was thinking about buying Dicor Lap Sealant and using it along the edges. So far (knock on wood) I have no leaks. I am planning on getting on my roof to install covers on the vents and Cyclone's on my tank vents. Also should I clean and wax the roof?

Thank you all for your patience
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
If you are speaking of the joint down the center of the roof, that is covered with EternaBond and will most likely be good for the life of your coach. It does not look pretty, but there is nothing that needs to be done to it. The joints you need to monitor are around the vents and front and rear cap joints. Those may need to be resealed at some time.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
As some of you already know I just bought my Motor Home a 2001 it only had 11,000 miles on it, so that means it sat for quite some time. The one good thing is it sat in California. Now it is in Tennessee

I was looking at the roof the other day and I assume it is Aluminum which I think I like better then Rubber.

Anyway my question is I noticed that the seams are taped with some sort of gray putty covered with Aluminum. It looks to me that it is shriveling and becoming bumpy along the edges. (for lack of a better description). Anyway is there something I do do with it? I was thinking about buying Dicor Lap Sealant and using it along the edges. So far (knock on wood) I have no leaks. I am planning on getting on my roof to install covers on the vents and Cyclone's on my tank vents. Also should I clean and wax the roof?

Thank you all for your patience
I will make note of the vent covers. If you have fan-tastic vents maybe you should read their recomendations on their web site. If you put covers on them it takes a lot of the air flow away from them. They don't recomend putting the covers on them. Also if the fan-tastics have the rain sensors on them, they won't work with the vent covers. We have never used the covers and never had a problem. The rain sensors shut the fan off and close the cover when it rains. I also clean my roof and put mop and glow on it about every 4-6 months. No streaks on my coach. Just don't get the wax on the painted surface like I did.
Bill O
Old 03-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Mop-N-Glow is great stuff for fiberglass, but the original poster has a metal roof that is painted.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
If you are speaking of the joint down the center of the roof, that is covered with EternaBond and will most likely be good for the life of your coach. It does not look pretty, but there is nothing that needs to be done to it. The joints you need to monitor are around the vents and front and rear cap joints. Those may need to be resealed at some time.
I was standing on a 6ft ladder when I looked at the roof and I could not really see the center line. My question was mainly about the end caps....

Also my roof vents are not rain sensor type....I have a total of 3 vents 2 Fan-Tastic and 1 funky one in the bathroom. I am only going to cover the one in the bathroom and one in the shower area. The one in the kitchen is operated by a thermostat.
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Mop-N-Glow For Fiberglass Only?

Quote:
Mop-N-Glow is great stuff for fiberglass, but the original poster has a metal roof that is painted.
I was on my way out the door to get some Mop-N-Glow when I saw your message, Rex. So I pause to ask, what do you use on the roof of your 2001 Diplomat, which I assume is painted metal? I think my 2001 Diplomat has a painted aluminum roof. Am reluctant to scratch it to find out for sure.

Being a lazy retiree, the ease of Mop-N-Glow's application holds strong appeal!

Thanks,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Dave you will not like the answer, but I use wax. Yep it is a lot of work but does the job.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Work? Bummer!

Quote:
Dave you will not like the answer, but I use wax. Yep it is a lot of work but does the job.
I was afraid you'd say that!

Thanks for the info, though.

Best,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #9

Lee I have the same problem with my 01 Dip. It looks like sticky rubber backed with aluminum. On our coach it runs across the coach (not down the middle) nd covers the front and rear caps. So the question remains, how do you reseal this?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Garranch and LeeB......The eternabond is almost bullet proof. It may look bad, but it seals forever. The only thing that really needs to be watched is at the four corners where the cap meets the roof. There is an area about 6" where the coach roof rounds over the side and the cap and roof meet. Just keep this are sealed. I use a product called Greocel ProFlexRV sealant in clear. I use a small disposable Harbor Freight brush to paint a little of the sealer on once a year. The clear dries clear and you don't see the where you touched it up.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #11

Don, where do you get that sealant product?

thanks for your imput
Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #12
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Go here, click on E?NTER, select WHERE TO BUY, put in your zip and find a supplier.

There are two selections on the first page. Use the one on the right, at least I do.

Geocel Corporation - Manufacturer of Quality Sealants, Caulks, and Adhesives Designed for Tough Construction and Repair Applications

Geocel 2300 colors - paintable
Geocel 1250 clear - paintable
Pro Flex RV

Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Rex for putting that in. I was able to buy mine at the local RV store. CW may even have it. The stuff has lasted well over 5 years in the can too.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote