Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #1

Roof radius clear coat

Howdy all
I have a 2011 Diplomat 43PD5
Question I have is how have any of you diy repaired the notorious clear coat coming off roof radius. Since we full-time didn’t want to move out to have a body/paint shop do the repairs. Tried and true suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Our Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #2

You are in the rock and hard place thing. i have to do mine but have large air compressor scafolding and all the things to do it. Being full time without a place and not have a body shop do it is tuff. If you are thinking of rattle can Clear coat, it will not last like a two part clear as it does not have the ISO content. It will work for short term but is not the same. I don't think a CG will let you do it in the park as the over spray will get over other units. With out a home base you are in a hard place.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #3

I did my 2002 windsor I have basic paint skill the new guns and clear coats are easy to use. But you have to sand prime then paint and clear
Old 01-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #4

One suggestion is to add vinyl or painted stripe to hide / create a paint line. We used to use pinstripes to save customers money, back in the day and keep from painting into roof or door/window frames . You don't see color match as easy top to bottom with the pinstripe the same as panels next to each other.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Life View Post
Howdy all
I have a 2011 Diplomat 43PD5
Question I have is how have any of you diy repaired the notorious clear coat coming off roof radius. Since we full-time didn’t want to move out to have a body/paint shop do the repairs. Tried and true suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
One way would be to boondock somewhere for a few days, get a small compressor and touch up gun and do it yourself.

Maybe talk to a bunch of paint shops and one might let you spend the nights in their parking lot.
Snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #6

This spray can will get you more than one year of use .

.https://repaintsupply.com/spraymax-3...SABEgKQbvD_BwE
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I can recommend Space age in Phoenix. https://spaceagepaint.com

They can supply any colour you want, and can also put it in rattle cans if you prefer this. I resprayed my roof radius and both front- and rear cap a few years ago, and it came out very decent.

The paint shop added clear coat to the paint so it was easy for me to use, and after applying 3 layers it was all done.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #8

Howdy. Thanks for the info
Do you remember how many cans of paint you used?
Old 01-16-2021, 01:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Life View Post
Howdy. Thanks for the info
Do you remember how many cans of paint you used?
First of all i sanded everything down, to a point where i could see a white(ish) primer.

I the used 2 cans of primer, and a further 5 cans of the appropriate colour rattle cans.

I made all the work from a ladder, and of course I had to wait for days with no wind before i could use the spray paint. Do mask off adjacent surfaces that you dont want sprayed.

Good luck

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
First of all i sanded everything down, to a point where i could see a white(ish) primer.

I the used 2 cans of primer, and a further 5 cans of the appropriate colour rattle cans.

I made all the work from a ladder, and of course I had to wait for days with no wind before i could use the spray paint. Do mask off adjacent surfaces that you dont want sprayed.

Good luck

Danes
Thanks for the info. Great value
Old 01-16-2021, 01:32 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a freind that sanded then brushed on dock paint that was a close match. It actually looks good, smoothed out nice, and if you didn't know about it, you wouldn't even notice it.

No worry about overspray, and can be done from above if you are careful.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I have a freind that sanded then brushed on dock paint that was a close match. It actually looks good, smoothed out nice, and if you didn't know about it, you wouldn't even notice it.

No worry about overspray, and can be done from above if you are careful.
Good idea. Trying to maintain an automotive finish 12 feet in the air is very difficult. Marine paint is fiberglass friendly.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #13

Great idea. I’ll ck out dock paint
Old 01-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #14

I have a 2007 HR Endevour and My fiberglass Caps are starting to peel.. I plan to sand them with progressive grits of wet sandpaper and then respray the caps with UV protected clear coat.. There are several videos on YT that show how to do this with acceptable results.. I figure I can get it looking pretty decent at a far. Nobody lives up there anyway..I want to arrest the sun damage before it eats to much of the paint.
pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof