RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Roof repair advice needed

I have a 1998 Monaco Diplomat. I don't have any leaks in my roof, but noticed that the seams that run from side to side have a hard coating that is starting to curl and crack. The roof also looks very "chaulky". What can I do to make the roof look like new again and make sure that it is water tight? Any recommendations on what to use to remove the hard coating on the seams?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Been there - done that.

Take a look at this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/roof...-up-48544.html .

To answer your question:

Buy a caulking removal tool and while not doing any damage to your roof sheeting in general, you scrape off the old stuff that has cracked. It is very hard work but well worth it. Any remaining "small bits" you remove with 3M's "General purpose adhesive cleaner" or something similar.

Once you get to apply your new seals, I can recommend the product Eternabond which is a sort of wide tape that you can use instead of a new caulking. You can find Eternabond at competitive price at some of the dealers who sponsors the IRV2 website.

I know this works because I have done this myself.

Best of luck.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Esterbond is an excellent product. It is expensive a 4" by 50' roll cost 89 bucks at CW.

I used it for the edges of the bedroom slide out at the bottom where the sides meet, they were seperating and taking on water. Bullet proof now.

My .02

Morancy Adventures!!
03HRVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Eternabond prices here. CW is very expensive.

http://www.bigrocksupply.com/eternab...3_104_351.html
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for the Esterbond information. Do you need to remove all of the existing sealant or just the bad areas? What is the white coating that is applied over the Esterbond? I tried to remove some and it is almost impossible. It looks like it is brushed on, over the actual Esterbond. Also, is it a good idea to wax your roof?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Is there a weight limit for walking on the roof of a motor home? I am about 250 and afraid to get up on the roof, I do not want to break any joints on the roof and fall through. I really want to get up there to check the condition of the roof.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeaa View Post
Eternabond prices here. CW is very expensive.

http://www.bigrocksupply.com/eternab...3_104_351.html

Wow those are great prices, Thanks for the info.

Morancy Adventures!!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansville View Post
Is there a weight limit for walking on the roof of a motor home? I am about 250 and afraid to get up on the roof, I do not want to break any joints on the roof and fall through. I really want to get up there to check the condition of the roof.
Hansville,

I'm good for 205 and I shovel snow and ice off my roof all winter. I wouldn't jump up and down on it, and I stay along the sides when traveling from front to back. If you don't have major leaking and rot up there now I wouldn't worry one bit about going up and checking things out. I've had to bust 2" of ice and a foot and a half of snow off my roof.

Thats weight. If your really worried where your big shoe's.

Morancy Adventures!!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #9

I just got done resealing our roof and used Dicor. Looked at, and tried a small area, with Eternabond and just wasn't comfortable with the fit and finish. Area also had to be spotless or it would look like a Rube Goldburg job.
What I liked about the Dicor was the fact it "flowed" to conform with the area it was being used on and looked like it came from the factory. Used 6 tubes @ $7.00 a tube so it's also a lot less costly. Just wear old cloths as it will Not wash out!
Just my 2 cents worth.
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansville View Post
Hansville

One of the reason we bought our 1999 Vacationer was they had an advertising picture with about 20 workers standing on the roof. I do not think they have changes the structural building of the coaches since then, just the skin. Back then the Vacationer was all aluminum--sides and roof. I weigh 220lbs and walk on our 2006 Ambassador all the time. I stay away from the sides, afraid of falling. s/Toby
Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric8r View Post
Thank you for the Esterbond information. Do you need to remove all of the existing sealant or just the bad areas? What is the white coating that is applied over the Esterbond? I tried to remove some and it is almost impossible. It looks like it is brushed on, over the actual Esterbond. Also, is it a good idea to wax your roof?
The product I was referring to is called Eternabond - not Esterbond.

The "white stuff" could well be a type of self-levelling caulking (look for the name Dicor mentionen in an earlier thread). You will sometimes find that this type caulking has been used as a supplement to Eternabond in f.x. tight corners etc.

Personally I would remove everything if at all possible. I have myself found that BIF (brute force and ignorance ) goes a long way.

Waxing you roof? I am sure that it will look much nicer and that you roof will be much easier to clean. It may also prevent the roof sheets from oxydizing, but if it should be on the "must do" list if am not certain.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all of the advise. I started the roof work this weekend and found that under all the years of weathering, there is a nice looking roof. Not the easiest job, but well worth the chiropractic visit I will need when it is completed.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric8r View Post
Thanks for all of the advise. I started the roof work this weekend and found that under all the years of weathering, there is a nice looking roof. Not the easiest job, but well worth the chiropractic visit I will need when it is completed.
Good decision and good luck with your job. I am sure that you will be well pleased with the result when you eventually finish