Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #1

Roof resealing

I'm sure this has been discussed before but i couldn't find a good answer. Our Dip has the foil tape type product that seals all the roof seams. Now the lead edges are starting to fail and in one spot started to leak.

What is the best way to fix this? It seems peeling the old tape off would totally suck Do I use a semi liquid sealant? more tape?

Please help, I don't have a clue as to what it the best long term fix for this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have found that my best sealer has been a product called "THRU THE ROOF". It is a clear this product applied with a brush which will level itself out and is paintable. Local hardware sells it. Not sure about RV stores.
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Through the Roof

Sashco Sealants - Through the Roof
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Garranch.......The Eternabond tape will often look a little beat up when the foil backing starts to curl up a little, but rarely leaks. That's why it's so hard to remove. If it is leaking at the tape, peel off what you can of the foil backing, clean the area and reapply with new Eternabond tape, overlapping the new over the old.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWITW.....I just read about "Through The Roof" sealant and liked what it said, until I read the part that specifically stated that it should "not be used on RV roofs".
Old 02-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #6

In order to maximize Eternabond's well established sealing qualities, one must use the cleaner and/or primer recommended.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
FWITW.....I just read about "Through The Roof" sealant and liked what it said, until I read the part that specifically stated that it should "not be used on RV roofs".
I read that also, but since the 2 previous and this MH have not had a 'RUBBER' layered roofing, [2, 1 piece aluminum - 1, fiberglass]. But it did mention the type of material that I used the best sealer thus far that I have found.

It is flexible which is a MUST with any RV's, covers easily which is a plus for this aged body to work with.

Just because somebody says 'I wouldn't use this', means to me, "I HAVE TO FIND OUT FOR MYSELF"! Now don't jump the gun to extremes on that statement.
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve used a product manufactured by Geocel Corp. located in Elkhart IN. called Proflex RV Instant Roof Repair. It is a clear brush able sealant that comes in quart cans. It is not for EPDM roofs but they do have a product for that roof as well. It has worked great for me so far.

www.geocelUSA.com
Bikedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #9

Roof repair

If your roof is EPDM rubber, Dicor makes a two part system that works very well. The first part is an acid primer that you leave on for 5 minutes and wash off with water. This etches the old surface. The second part is a water based rubber in bright white that is very thick and can be rolled or brushed on. It dries like latex paint and you must use two coats. We used this last week on our 38' Sportscoach and it seals and looks like new. Most other solutions do not adhere to rubber very well. If you are just sealing seams, Dicor makes a flexible seam sealant for EPDM also. Hope this helps. DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use a Silicone sealant, mfg. by NovaFlex # 8051308 white in color. Purchased at Camping World or Home Depot or Lowes. I remove all of the old sealant.
Clean area with Krud Kutter(purchase at Home Depot) Re clean with rubbing alcohol. The sealant is in a tube. Apply 1/4 inch bead,with chalking gun, wet finger and lightly apply pressure to the bead to spread into joint. Sealant is tack free in 10 minutes and cured in 2 days.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #11

I believe our roof is a two piece metal or aluminum with a center seam running the full length of the coach, it is not rubber. most of the lead edges are starting to peel back a little. We only have one leak (at a skylight) where the tape has peeled back from the plastic. Do we re-tape over the existing tape? Remove the old tape and start new (god I hope not) or use some type of liquid or brush on sealant?
Old 02-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #12

Unless you just want to patch I've been told you can use heat and a putty knife and go from one end to the other and remove. My opinion that is probably the most expensive best roof can't crack,rot but the only down fall is that seam had one get hail damage $15,000 to replace.