Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Roof snow

Does anyone think a few inches of snow on my roof is bad? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	278387It’s melting as we speak. Or do I need to risk my neck and go up there and push it off?
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That little bit won't do anything.

When you have a couple of feet, it's time to consider getting it off.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As long as you've kept up with roof maintenance that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #4

Yes on good upkeep, thanks all
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #5

Don’t worry about it at all. Unless you have a problem with your roof, it’s designed to handle a much bigger load than that.
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
It could get a little interesting if you have to drive the RV with that much snow on top, at some point it's going to want to come off. A vehicle behind you could get a mini avalanche if the timing is just right!
patgreenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I think its bad. You need to move further south!

But I doubt that little bit of snow will stress anything. The roof easily holds my weight when i walk on it.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #8

Before it snows we pull all 4 slides in so the slide toppers don't get overloaded. We are expecting rain followed by 3 to 7 inches of heavy wet spring snow and blizzard force winds over about 12 hours tonight and tomorrow. That will be followed by 2 to 3 days of freezing temperatures.
We put the slides out when the snow stops. When the day time temperatures rise above freezing and the sun comes out the snow on the roof will start melting and dripping off the roof onto the slide toppers where it will collect and weigh down the toppers. Several times during the day I will lower one end of the coach and raise the other end to drain the heavy water off the toppers. The less desirable alternative is to set up my ladder in the snow before I put the slides out and pull the snow off the roof with my Snow Brum or Snow Joe.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:41 PM   #9

It isn't a question about the snow, it is about the water getting in cracks and then re-freezing. Its why boaters use shrinkwrap and RV should too. A waterp[roof cover is good to have.
Jim Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Godfrey View Post
It isn't a question about the snow, it is about the water getting in cracks and then re-freezing. Its why boaters use shrinkwrap and RV should too. A waterp[roof cover is good to have.
Good point about the water freezing but the OP and I are living in our coaches and dealing with snow as we speak (?). Shrinkwrap and/or waterproof roof covers are not viable options.
The day before yesterday it started to rain in the afternoon. After several hours the rain changed to light snow but the temps remained about 4°F above freezing until after dark when the temps dropped into the 20s. It snowed 13 inches yesterday but stopped in the afternoon and was clear and cold thereafter. All our slides were in before the rain began and stayed in until the storm had passed to the east.
Last night I started to put one BR slide out to make it easier for me to get to my side of the bed. I could tell from experience and the sounds it was making that the top of the slide was frozen to the coach so I brought it back in and didn't mess with it. Now I am waiting for the temps to get above freezing so I can put the slides out without problems. One more night with all slides in won't kill us but I think this social isolation thing ain't all its cracked up to be.
That must be the water freezing you referred to. Fortunately the weather guessers are forecasting the daytime temps to be in the 40s to 50s for the next few days starting tomorrow.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 03-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a dumb personal question: Since you are full-time why are you in such weather? Is it work?

I live in Illinois and we get terrible weather. If I had my way we would be following the SUN and I would sure stay out of the snow as I hate it and it hates me (LOL) BUT - DW doesn't want to be that far from our grown children. Being at 80 she likes seeing the kids on a regular basis. I promised her this coming winter I'll have my phone set up so she can call them and see their little faces - she just looks at me. I know when I'm in trouble.

Stay safe. What you are doing may cramp your living space but it saves damage to the RV.

Enjoy - Richard
Old 03-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If it is melting I would let up to 4 inches go. However, if you plan to travel then I would get it off. Most states have laws governing driving with snow on the vehicle.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
I have a dumb personal question: Since you are full-time why are you in such weather? Is it work?

I live in Illinois and we get terrible weather. If I had my way we would be following the SUN and I would sure stay out of the snow as I hate it and it hates me (LOL) BUT - DW doesn't want to be that far from our grown children. Being at 80 she likes seeing the kids on a regular basis. I promised her this coming winter I'll have my phone set up so she can call them and see their little faces - she just looks at me. I know when I'm in trouble.

Stay safe. What you are doing may cramp your living space but it saves damage to the RV.

Enjoy - Richard
To answer your question about choosing to winter in Colorado (twice!) and surviving TWO blizzards would be a long, sad and boring story. I'll just say it involves a wrecked motorhome which has still not been properly repaired, several unanticipated surgeries and at least two more that are needed but can't be done anytime soon due to the virus crisis. I also spent 7 months fighting two antibiotic resistant bacterial infections I acquired in the hospital.
We want to domicile in Texas and switch health care providers or to original Medicare but right now we're stuck with Kaiser Permanente which only serves 7 states and the DC.
Basically, it's complicated. Fortunately, two of our grown sons live here and we get to see them. One of them can drive the coach for me if necessary when I have my rotator cuff repaired and my knee replaced.
It got above freezing today and we spent all day listening to the sounds of many pounds of heavy wet snow falling on the roof from the mature Ponderosa pines which surround our campsite on three sides. I put two slides out after it stopped to give us some more space and will put the other two out tomorrow.
Everyone in the campground is supposed to clear out by May 1st as the small town we are in puts on a popular rodeo the first week of June. We are all worried about where we will go if they don't cancel the rodeo.
I was based in Chicago near O'Hare quite often. It's my favorite large city and I was based in most. The people were very friendly and quite helpful. I still have family living in Evanston. I often rode the Blue and Red lines to Wrigley to watch the Cubs.

Tags
roof