Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #1

Rotating of tires

Hey so I have a question I know with my personal vehicles I rotate the tires every 3 to 5000 miles per Les Schwab and what they say but with a motorhome and everything being on different rims from front to rear do you just not worry about tire rotations, or do you physically have them unmount the tires from the front to rear. With as expensive as these damn tires were I don’t want cupping.

Go WOLVES & Go HAWKS!
Ozman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #2

If you want to properly rotate your tire ie back to front, you are going to have to remove rear tires and front tires from the rims to move them. This is not a cheap proposition due to the labor to move the tires, rebalancing the tires and reinstalling the tires.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Often your tires will age out before wearing out. If you drive a lot of miles, tire rotation might be a good idea. You do have to keep in mind that the rear dual tires should be about the same diameter, pairing up a worn steer tire with a larger (because of wear) rear would not be good for either tire.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.gif
Views:	1805
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	180788  

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Even with a tag axle, the rims are different facing....

And in our case we have STEER tires that are specifically for the front and wouldn't be as good on the rear...

If you are worried about cupping, shocks would be a better investment.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #5

Just seemed like it should be done and wondered what Thoughts we’re here. I have put 3k mi on in last couple weeks and have a couple more that will go on before end of month. Was really just trying to get a feel out there.

Go WOLVES & Go HAWKS!
Ozman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #6

Rotating of tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman24 View Post
Just seemed like it should be done and wondered what Thoughts we’re here. I have put 3k mi on in last couple weeks and have a couple more that will go on before end of month. Was really just trying to get a feel out there.

You have a fine Monaco MH.
Tire rotation is not necessary. I have never rotated them. If there is any unusual tire wear, it has to do with alignment, shocks, or worn steering parts.
Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have never rotated any of my tires. You'll age the tires out way before you wear them out. Plus it's not cheap to do. I've seen shops charging $50 per tire to remount and balance.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Tire Rotation and inflation

Thanks for the posts concerning tire rotation for motorcoaches. We have a 2016 Monaco Diplomat 43DF with just over 13K on them. Having noted some wearing of the outer edge of the rear tires, I was also seeking sage advice from members as this is our first coach, having had three fifth wheels since 2008, so a very different ride.

It seems the proper advice from what I gather here, is to properly inflate the tires and insure all parts are aligned properly etc. vice going through rotation, especially since the front tires have the steel bands to help in case of blowouts.

I have seen different answers for inflation as well -- I carry 130 pounds in all of mine per tire inflation information data on the tires. Is this proper or do ya'll put more in or less, etc.

I appreciate any advice,
Thanks
miturn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
The best way to figure tire inflation rate is to get your RV weighed. Take the axle weights and then look on the tire manufacturer's website for proper inflation for the tire load. I'd guess 130 psi is way too high.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Rod,
Welcome fellow 43DFT owner

While that that 130 psi is the recommended psi from the mfg,
it is only needed when your tires are asked to carry the maximum weight they can.

if your rv weighs less than the maximum GVWR (which it probably doesn't!) you MAY chose to run lower pressure to get a softer ride, etc...
you can go by any CAT Scale and for $10 or so get all your axle weights.

There's nothing wrong with running the 130 psi, some just chose to get a bit softer ride and more tire contact patch by lowering the psi a bit.

good luck !
Old 10-31-2017, 07:02 AM   #11

As BFlinn stated--130lbs on rear duals seems very high. Most Class A rigs run at a max of 20k lbs--but usually much less-- on the rear dual axle. That's 5K or less on each tire--but of course it depends on tire size and load rating but your statement of a max of 130lbs suggests a L/R "H" tire. Only speculating here but based on my experience with 295/80R and 11R tires, 90 lbs PSI or less would be ok. You are certainly "safe" to run at 130lbs but the ride will be harsh and could be contributing to outside edge wear due to center tread being slightly elevated.....So get 4-corner weights for the rig and use applicable manufacturer tire charts for "recommended" inflations....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:20 AM   #12

Tire rotation is not required nor recommended. 130 lbs. is way too much. As others have stated you need to weigh the MH when it is full of all your "stuff"". There are tire pressure charts for your tires online.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:01 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the information

I appreciate the help and will do as ya'll have suggested. At one point, after the RV was in for a brake wiring recall, the Freightliner place had actually inflated the tires to 150 psi. I took it down to the 130 but glad I posted here to get the right information..

Thanks again all
miturn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires