Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
What's meant by "rivering" I too have Goodyears.
Thx
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
OH !
I always thought rivering was the left and right following of the road imperfections, not that the tires MADE a river out of themselves !!!

Wow, never seen anything like that
Old 04-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #17

I agree with the camp that says follow the tire co,s guide on weight for inflation.
the tires will age out long before you wear them out, and the ride and handling are so worth it. Mine 85 front 90 rear
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

What the hay? Haven't seen this on our tires yet.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 04-14-2016, 05:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
I agree with the camp that says follow the tire co,s guide on weight for inflation.
the tires will age out long before you wear them out, and the ride and handling are so worth it. Mine 85 front 90 rear

Understand the inflation table and all but when a manufacture places a placard with recommended pressures , isn't based on its dry rolling weight, or assume operational weight, which takes in consideration safety? Just asking.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 04-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Do we know that the mfg is putting the psi it needs for the dry weight?
I think it's what is needed for MAX GVWR.

besides that, I guess it depends on which company you want to listen to...

the coach mfg
that wants to make sure you have enough psi for the MAX weight you MIGHT carry IMHO and sourced tires rated to handle the max needed.
or
the tire mfg
that knows and designed the tire parameters for the weight @ what psi it can carry.
the tire doesn't know what it's carrying, just that it needs x psi to hold up x weight.

it's all good and we can still (so far) do what we want to do with our 'stuff'
Old 04-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Tire pressure

Van, I completely agree. I too have dropped the pressure in search of the soft spot but have never really found the ideal ride, probably because it doesn't exist. I think it's more that the air bags are very stiff and rigid and when a bump comes along you feel it. Regardless of ride height my airbags seem rigid and rightfully so, they are holding up alot of weight. I just don't think there is a magic bullet.

I know for a fact the tables listed in the coach aren't super accurate. The Windsors of my vintage had a recall because Monaco put too low of a load range tire on them and did a recall. So I have two tables in my rig.

I believe Monaco uses the tire manufacture inflation table to make their decals and wouldn't that be the right procedure? So logically if you change tire size or load ratings the PSI will change. My concern was my inflation table goes from 70 to 120 (I think) and that's a big window. If hypothetically 70 would work is it really safe going that low? If the table goes down that far it must be? right?

The funny thing is the racing tires I use on my Drag car have absolutely no information regarding PSI. lol, If you search the web you will find a huge difference in what folks run on the slicks and front runners..........

Thanks
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
No disrespect intended but IMO anyone who runs more than 10 PSI more than the pressure recommended by the tire maker... for the weight carried by the tire.... deserves what ever ride, (and tire problems), they end up with.

Mel
'96 Safari

No worries Mel, my ideal PSI is 90 but I run 95 for some peace of mind.Although on short trips (10 miles) I have dropped much lower to test with no super dramatic improvement. It's my first rig so I think that's just the nature of a big rolling beast. I can however drive in wind with little to no impact. I've been on trips with friends who had to slow to 40 mph because of the wind and I had no idea why they slowed.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
My original tires were goodyears and I triple checked the pressures with the manufacture's specs, weighed coach several times, had alignment done and re-done and I still got the rivering. Finally after a RR blow out, ($7,000 in damages), I replaced those miserable GY's with Bridgestone and have never had an issue. I'm not a goodyear fan for MY RV tires. Cars and pickups, I'm fine with.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Have you tried different shocks? When you hit something, that force is transmitted to the frame, first through the tires (that's why reducing air pressure will make some differences), then the shocks and airbags. The airbags aren't adjustable, so that leaves the shocks. Stiffer shocks will give a rougher ride, but handling will be better. Softer shocks will give a softer ride, but at the expense of oscillation. The challenge is finding a happy medium...

I think that's why they're called shock absorbers!
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

How do you use this chart?

The coach has tires on it that aren't on this list, Michelin 305/75R22.5. I've been running the air pressure the PO gave me which is 100 front and 90 rear. I haven't weighed the coach yet, but its' been running those pressures with those tires for almost six years.

I know the rear axle is rated 20,000 lbs and the front, 13,000. It looks like I wouldn't need more than 80 PSI to meet that 20,000 lb rating on the rear axle. 5155 X 4 wheels right?

Using that same logic, 100 PSI in the front, with load range G tires, only provides for 12,350 lbs?

am I on the right track?
Old 04-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
The quick answer is you wouldn't use that chart. Figure out what Brand of tire it is and then go their web page and download the inflation table for that tire. The other answer is with that big tire I'm sure 100 is way way way too much PSI but until you get the right table and weigh your shooting in the dark and making a wild ass guess....
Old 04-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by photopilot View Post
Have you tried different shocks? When you hit something, that force is transmitted to the frame, first through the tires (that's why reducing air pressure will make some differences), then the shocks and airbags. The airbags aren't adjustable, so that leaves the shocks. Stiffer shocks will give a rougher ride, but handling will be better. Softer shocks will give a softer ride, but at the expense of oscillation. The challenge is finding a happy medium...

I think that's why they're called shock absorbers!
photopilot,

The first thing I did was buy new tires and the third or fourth was Shocks. I tossed the original Monroes for the Bilstein Comfort Ride. Maybe that wasn't the right choice but paying for Koni's and not having any better ride would have added insult to injury. I guess I won't know until I try but new shocks didn't seem to help. The big part of all of this for me may be my limited experience driving big motorhomes. I know shocks and chassis tuning and engine work but this is my first DP. I can say on a good road she rolls like a Caddy but on I5 South from Sacramento to San Diego watch out.....