Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my 05 Diplomat at the top of the windshield there is an "eyebrow" strip of rubber above the rubber gasket that holds the two piece windshield in place. The "eyebrow" (couldn't think of a better term) has a lip on it that catches water from the roof and funnels it off both sides of the windshield. This "eyebrow" is part of the rubber windshield gasket, but started separating/cracking across the whole length of the windshield about six months after we bought the coach. Unless mine is not the norm, I'm sure some of you have seen this same issue when you wash your windshield.

I've kept and eye on it and haven't had any problems until recently. About two weeks ago I was washing the coach and saw water dripping down the inside of the windshield. The rubber had finally cracked through in the area where it was leaking. I went to a local windshield shop and bought a tube of the black sealant they use to seal windshields. I wiped both rubber components down with "Oops" and then ran a bead along the entire length of the windshield. I sprayed WD-40 on my finger and smoothed out the bead. It completely filled the cracked area and actually made the joint between the two look nicer than it ever did.

I thought I would pass this on because I can't believe my coach is the only one that has had this issue unlees I just got a bad gasket. (no more water leaks!)
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my 05 Diplomat at the top of the windshield there is an "eyebrow" strip of rubber above the rubber gasket that holds the two piece windshield in place. The "eyebrow" (couldn't think of a better term) has a lip on it that catches water from the roof and funnels it off both sides of the windshield. This "eyebrow" is part of the rubber windshield gasket, but started separating/cracking across the whole length of the windshield about six months after we bought the coach. Unless mine is not the norm, I'm sure some of you have seen this same issue when you wash your windshield.

I've kept and eye on it and haven't had any problems until recently. About two weeks ago I was washing the coach and saw water dripping down the inside of the windshield. The rubber had finally cracked through in the area where it was leaking. I went to a local windshield shop and bought a tube of the black sealant they use to seal windshields. I wiped both rubber components down with "Oops" and then ran a bead along the entire length of the windshield. I sprayed WD-40 on my finger and smoothed out the bead. It completely filled the cracked area and actually made the joint between the two look nicer than it ever did.

I thought I would pass this on because I can't believe my coach is the only one that has had this issue unlees I just got a bad gasket. (no more water leaks!)
Old 04-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #3

Don, at first i also thought it was part of the windsheild gasket.Its Not.The Rain gutter is held on with 2 sided tape then cauked. if you start from either side of the windsheild where the gutter ends on a hot day ,you will be able to peel it off..i bought new 3 m tape from walmart and re attached it. follow it up with black RTV and it will look like new.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #4

Dan,

When I had my 05 Dip, I had the same problem. But the gutter was not part of the windshied seal. I had water coming in the joint on the top of the windshiel where the two piece's come together. I had to reseal that area and it solved the leak. I also ran sealer over the joint between the seal and the guttet to make it look like one piece.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mine must have had some type of sealer placed between the two because it looked one piece in some areas and was cracked in others. I know it's a little thing, but it sure looks much nicer now with the bead of caulking between the two.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:31 AM   #6

Just noticed the same issue with my 06 Endeaver as I was up on the ladder slaving away waxing the coach. Became a huge concern of mine. Drove it to the dealer last Friday where they didn't have a answer for me but took pictures and will call me early part of the week with their thoughts. Looked like mine was sealed once already although I bought the rig new. Sure do not need any water leaks.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #7

Follow up to my last post..........
Talked with the rv dealer today and sounds like Holiday Rambler is sending a new windshield seal to have a local glass company to replace. Sure hope I dont end up with a cracked winshield like some folks seem to be having issues with.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post

Thanks Don, I also have a 05 Diplomat and the same thing is happening, once it stops raining i will try the same fix. I also saw your earlier response to a "transfer switch" problem, requesting what electrical symptoms were they having and the brain power on this site might be able to help solve it. So here goes, also on my 05 Dip, on our maiden voyage the generator would run for a few minutes and shut off. the dash board generator switch would blink three times. Manual said that trouble code indicated overheating though it was 9 degrees out. Any suggestions? do those generators have thermostats that might have broke?
Diplomat Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Dan View Post
Thanks Don, I also have a 05 Diplomat and the same thing is happening, once it stops raining i will try the same fix. I also saw your earlier response to a "transfer switch" problem, requesting what electrical symptoms were they having and the brain power on this site might be able to help solve it. So here goes, also on my 05 Dip, on our maiden voyage the generator would run for a few minutes and shut off. the dash board generator switch would blink three times. Manual said that trouble code indicated overheating though it was 9 degrees out. Any suggestions? do those generators have thermostats that might have broke?
Dan,

Did you check the coolant level for the generator? If the coolant has leaked out it will run hot even at 9 degrees. I had to take the sides off my generator to replace a bad hose clamp that was leaking.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Dan, also check if the fan belt on the back is broken. Hard to see but you may be able to just see it through the removable bottom access panel.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #11

Yes the coolant is full. I will check the belt at the next stop.
Thanks.
Diplomat Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
rex

Monaco Owners Club
If the belt is OK, and as you said the coolant is full, then you must have a bad temp sensor. That is the only other thing that would shut it down. Well, unless you don't have any oil in it. You did check that didn't you?

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Dan View Post
Yes the coolant is full. I will check the belt at the next stop.
Thanks.
Dan,
Was the generator recently serviced/coolant changed? Are you checking the coolant at the reservoir tank and does your generator have the side panel that removes to get to the "radiator" pressure fill cap. If you have not already done so, take the pressure cap off and see what the fluid level looks like. Sometimes an air bubble can keep the system from being completely filled when serviced and "overheat" will show up until system is "burped". Not sure this is your problem but it happens often on a coolant change on the onan 10000 generator.
Also, if you need more help and more input on this, you probably should start a new thread since the original title on this one deals with a windshield seal fix.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #14

I had a 2003 vacationer windshield gasket came apart at top had to replace and reseated windshields under warranty they slid down and opened gasket. On certain models it makes a big difference how you level not to pop out your windshields.