Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Are there any safety isues to be concerned about if we decide to run the generator while driving?

Who doesn't run it and why?

It is a little noisier with it on. I think some of you run it so you can have the air conditioner on and the coach is cool when you arrive at your destination. Are there other reasons to run it other than the AC?

I guess I'm equating it to having the LP gas open and powering the refrigerator while driving.

Thanks!
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are there any safety isues to be concerned about if we decide to run the generator while driving?

Who doesn't run it and why?

It is a little noisier with it on. I think some of you run it so you can have the air conditioner on and the coach is cool when you arrive at your destination. Are there other reasons to run it other than the AC?

I guess I'm equating it to having the LP gas open and powering the refrigerator while driving.

Thanks!
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do it all the time, along with the fridge on lp.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:07 AM   #4
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto, me too. Think of it as a positive safety move since the fridge will be using 120V instead of that deadly LP.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:33 AM   #5

Use it all the time to run the A/C's. Can't even tell it running while driving down the road.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:06 AM   #6

For 8 yr. while fulltiming we ran generator with full load, makes travelling more comfortable, keeps generator in good condition, keeps dust, dirt, etc out of unit and lastly we remembered to check all units regularly for needed cleaning, maintaince, etc. because they were in use. Whether luck, or our use of units, we did not loose A/C, refrig, generator, etc during that time. We now 3/4 time and still use same principle. One other component is our pets were more comfortable and the outside nose didn't upset the dog as much and gave us extra sense of security as windows closed and locked.

2006 National Seabreeze
FloridaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It only takes one short trip with it off, when its nice and hot and you will see why everyone runs them. As mentioned before its good for the genny also.

06 HR PDQ 40'
crudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GoneFishin:

We ran ours the entire way from AZ to Ohio pretty much non-stop except when we stayed at a campground in Illinois! The dogs appreciate the a/c blowing on them while they sleep on the bed listening to Harry Potter Cds
mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My dash air is not adequate in hot weather, so always use the gennie....
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with others about running it as needed. Air movement shouldn't create a carbon-monoxide issue, nor should any heat build-up.

As was mentioned, it's also a bit safer since frig will then run on AC with no LP flame in the coach.

Even tho there are a LOT of variables, it 'seems' from my experience (and from a lot of what I've read) that it is more efficient (fuelwise) than running the dash AC. Also reduces a bit of the energy draw from the engine, if needed to go up hills or accelerate quickly (like we're gonna try to win any race).

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I do it all the time, mostly for the Ac's or the nuker if the wife is making something on the go. Only bad deal is it sucks the fuel down faster hehe and gotta watch that 1/4 tank! Your gen will die at 1/4 fyi!

2007 Diplomat PDQ 40
Socal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Run the generator when it is hot out. Run the front A/C to supplement the dash air. Not a problem while traveling to B from A.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe this is as good of an opportunity as any to throw out the question of anyone having made any real-life evaluations about fuel-consumption differences between running the dash-air and the genset. Every time we pull into a fill-station, it's all about $$/gal and how we wish all destinations were downhill with a tailwind. But is it really?

According to the Onan literature, a 'typical' genset will 'typically' use somewhat less than one gallon/hour at almost anything less than full-load (more like 1/2 to 3/4 gallon/hr). And I've heard from several different sources that the rule-of-thumb for a dash A/C is that running it will reduce an engine's fuel-mileage by about 10%, and horsepower by about the same margin.

Using simple 10/10 math (ten fingers and ten toes) and the assumption that an rv will get 8mpg at 60 mph, the genset is consuming 0.75-1.0gph (and probably less) while the dash A/C takes maybe 0.8gph from the pump-total.

I'd suppose an already-loaded coach will want to have every tiny bit of horsepower available when entering an on-ramp or chugging up a hill, but a lot of coaches these days come with bigger engines and lots of oomph, so it may not be that big of a deal with a dash A/C running. However, I do know that I still tend to cut it off when wishing for that little extra kick getting up to speed but it may be just me, as I never see a difference either way - I'm still slower than turtle on valium.

Here in Texas in the summertime, one is hard-pressed to keep up with the heat even with all shades drawn and both A/C's running, so for me it's "Onan-Time" way earlier in the day than Miller-Time. If it costs more, I'll pay for it at the pump (I hate having my legs stick to the seat-upholstery).

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:13 AM   #14

Run mine most of the time, cannot think of any reason not to run it.