Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Running Norcold on highway

I finally got my Norcold 1200 running on both LP and AC. Never used it since owning the MH because it was not working.

I assume when on shore power it makes sense to run on AC and while moving it must be run on LP. What is the typical power draw on LP? Do I need to run the gen or will the inverter handle the frig while on LP?

I'm really just looking for tips on the best procedures and practices for using these appliances.

...(Incidentally, the control board was bad, replaced it and it did the trick)

Thanks.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Running Norcold on highway

When on LP the refrigerator only needs 12vdc. No need to run the generator to provide 120vac.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #3

With fridge controls in AUTO priority energy source is 120V AC......swaps to GAS when AC is lost (back to AC when it is restored)

GAS.
Propane......uses 12V DC for power

Fridge uses DC power for ALL controls (when on AC or propane)

DC draw is 3A or less TOTAL

Download 'Manual' for your reading pleasure and to fully understand ALL about your Norcold 1200
http://manuals.chudov.com/RV/Norcold...ing-Manual.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
I finally got my Norcold 1200 running on both LP and AC. Never used it since owning the MH because it was not working.

I assume when on shore power it makes sense to run on AC and while moving it must be run on LP. What is the typical power draw on LP? Do I need to run the gen or will the inverter handle the frig while on LP?

I'm really just looking for tips on the best procedures and practices for using these appliances.

...(Incidentally, the control board was bad, replaced it and it did the trick)

Thanks.
I just leave mine in auto and have the propane turned on at the tank. It will be fine and you don't need to run genny. If you do start the gen for whatever reason, the frig will automatically run off the 120 volts and not use the propane. If I've had the propane off for a while, I sometimes need to bleed the line to get the propane up near the frig. I just turn on the gas stove until it lights. Then I know the gas is near the frig and it seems to work just fine.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Running Norcold 1200

Just a comment on your Norcold 1200 usage. We dry camp a lot, so at night have the invertor on for 120VAC running the TV, Directv and my CPAP machine.
If you have the Norcold set to AUTO, it will run off the inverter on 120VAC - - thereby running down your battery bank. Better to force the Norcold to run off LP, thereby using a lot less battery power during the night. Our 15 year old Norcold has worked great, keeps the ice cream frozen and makes more ice cubes then we can use. Great frig for dry camping...
Dale J 2001 Monaco Windsor 38PBD
Gilroy, Ca
Old 08-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelsema View Post
Just a comment on your Norcold 1200 usage. We dry camp a lot, so at night have the invertor on for 120VAC running the TV, Directv and my CPAP machine.
If you have the Norcold set to AUTO, it will run off the inverter on 120VAC - - thereby running down your battery bank. Better to force the Norcold to run off LP, thereby using a lot less battery power during the night. Our 15 year old Norcold has worked great, keeps the ice cream frozen and makes more ice cubes then we can use. Great frig for dry camping...
Dale J 2001 Monaco Windsor 38PBD
Gilroy, Ca
I have a 2006 diplomat and our 1200 refer doesn't seem to run on the invertor . Maybe for just that reason. How much does your CPAP draw? I've always been concerned that it might overdraw the batteries so I don't use it when dry camping.
Gary8346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, my CPAP (and most likely yours) draws very little 120VAC - maybe a amp or less (I have never measured it). I use my CPAP for about 8 hrs each night when dry camping, and have never had the batteries get below about 11.8 VDC. I do run the genset for about 1- 2 hrs the next day (and during that time, run the Norcold on 120VAC). That brings the battery bank (I have 4, 6 volt GC2's) - back up to float charge.
Use your CPAP, and see how your batteries hold out.
My 2001 Windsor seems wired a lot different then the newer ones. On the neg side, if invertor is on, the frig and electric water heater will run on the invertor until I switch them to LP.
On the Pos side, when I start the engine, can still run the slides in / out, and even move the coach forward / back if needed with both the slides in the extended position (nice for trying to get final level when dry camping).
Old 08-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing i learned at a rally safety seminar is to turn off your battery disconnect to prevent the spark igniter for the frige to start if it calls for it when stopped and getting fuel. You never know who was there before you and may have had a spill. Could be disastrous.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Great stuff everyone. Thanks so much for the input and advice. I think the reason I never really pressed myself to fix the Norcold earlier than I did was because I had seen some horror stories about MH fires being caused by refrigerators running on LP. To be honest, I'm a bit of a worry wort and have always been nervous about my family and I going to sleep at night with a flame burning (albeit a small pilot flame ) to keep the frig cold. On a separate note, I have also been concerned about running the genset at night while we sleep for fear of exhaust seeping into the coach.

I've only been a MH owner now for 4 years and am gaining confidence as i go, with help from you good folks on this Web site. My wife is so glad to have the Norcold up an running now and I'll use the information you provided to ensure safe and efficient usage of the appliance.

Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Consider installing the ARP - cheap insurance against fridge damage and fire. I tried to run mine on the inverter while driving but the alternator could not keep up with the load - a good way to burn up an alternator. Mine works fine on gas since I replaced the propane regulator.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We keep our Norcold 1200 on inverter power while traveling!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary8346 View Post
I have a 2006 diplomat and our 1200 refer doesn't seem to run on the invertor . Maybe for just that reason. How much does your CPAP draw? I've always been concerned that it might overdraw the batteries so I don't use it when dry camping.
Gary8346
My CPAP machine, (which can be operated on either 120VAC or 12VDC),
can/will/has been run for many 8 hour nights on house battery voltage when we're dry camping.

REMstar Pro C-flex +

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:20 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kiemele View Post
Consider installing the ARP - cheap insurance against fridge damage and fire. I tried to run mine on the inverter while driving but the alternator could not keep up with the load - a good way to burn up an alternator. Mine works fine on gas since I replaced the propane regulator.
Thanks Steve. I'll look into it.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:25 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Last question: what temp setting do you guys use on your Norcolds? I suppose I could just experiment with it but it's not like a residential frig used in a house where the ambient temp inside the house is consistent. It obviously goes from 1 to 9 so I was thinking 6 or 7 on the setting. Just curious.

Thanks again.

Tags
norcold