Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
RV at Repair Center - Extended Warranty Conflict

What would you do?

RV was at service center for inspection and service. Went over the whole list with a notation that if there is anything extra, we have an extended warranty and to contact us first. They never said a word about not being willing to do warranty items.

Found a small radiator like in the bottom corner and the alternator needs replaced. We asked to have it checked as we had a few start-up delays.

Company does inspection/service, which went well....tells us about the radiator and the alternator, but says....we don't work with warranty companies and won't even contact them. Both items ARE covered under our contract. Won't give their name as they are a nationwide service center.

Tell them to do the estimate and ask that all they do is contact them as the mechanic must file the claim for us. If they come back with a "this is what we will pay", we will agree to pay the difference.

We are on day 3 and our RV is sitting there and they tell us they got put on hold 2 times when calling. I called immediately and got them in 3 minutes and insurer says they weren't even busy that day.

I am at a loss. They have done good work for us, but am wondering if I need to take it away and back to our dealer's service area. Didn't go there originally as they are a 1 hr drive away.

What would you do? A little frustrated right now.
sstehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If they state up front that they don't do warranty work, why would you have a problem with that.

Take it to someone that does.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

As I understand, you advised them of the warranty and they never told you that they did not work with warranty companies. They have misled you under the understanding with them. Guess I would determine if going to another shop is cost effective in getting warranty coverage. Based on how they have tested you so far, I likely would head out of there! Can you trust them?
D White. 05 Windsor
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #4

Go back to the dealer.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
If they state up front that they don't do warranty work, why would you have a problem with that.

Take it to someone that does.
From the first last sentence of the first paragraph in the OP's post.
"They never said a word about not being willing to do warranty items."
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

If it is the same nationwide service center I was towed to due to a breakdown. And have an extended warranty don't walk run away as fast as you can. I paid thru the nose for my repairs that the nationwide service facility did if. I had to find a part for them that they said was obsolete paid for it had to shipped to them and they would not include it on the bill to the warranty company because they had not provided it. ( coach was only 2 yrs old) You can go back to your dealer for service and make it clear that you only want the repairs covered by the extended warranty fixed. and you will not pay for any other service that was performed without your prior authorization.. some extended warranties will not cover what they consider diagnostic cost, will only pay for the actual repair not the diagnostic time
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Clarifying

They never indicated they would not do warranty work on anything else that was needed....knowing up front we have the warranty. And....they did a previous repair for us where they "did" work with the warranty company. This came out of the blue. And yes, it is several thousand dollars for the repairs.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Faith Reinstated

Apparently there was something going on that did not directly involve us, but had an impact on us, but service center called us yesterday morning to tell us they were going to contact the warranty company....which they did promptly and issue is resolved to our satisfaction.

Warranty company is still a pain to deal with and the dealer we purchased RV from helped with some clarification items on dealing with them.

What I learned big time is that the warranty companies are difficult and want you to give up trying. I am not a quitter. A friend of mine who owned a transportation/truck repair company told me a small percent of the warranty contract holders are persistent. Most give up (which is what warranty companies want), and repair/service centers are fed up with dealing with them as they are difficult and take their good old time at paying.

Life lessons never end.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #9

same subject different item

2014 Ram, dealer offered a lifetime warranty for $2350. talked to my mechanics

and said refuse. warranty would not cover everything especially user carriage

items.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Not defending anyone here, BUT in my experience as a service provider MOST of the 3rd party insurance providers don't make it easy to deal with them. Fax this, wait for that, take a picture, we only pay this much..... Plus, seldom is admin time factored in especially if a tech has to interact with them.

I prefer to advise upfront and ask that our bill is settled by the customer and provide them with any and all paperwork they need to file on their own. Either way I'm the bad guy, but honesty is my policy.

I even have an extended policy on my coach (knock on wood). Hopefully it never gets used and I get 85% back next year. But I understand the reasons for and against them and dealing with them.

Just putting that side out there...I'm kinda stuck in the middle!

Allen
dieselbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #11

Yes, extended warranty's can be a hassle to deal with, but when they work they do tend to save owners a fair amount of money. On our last MH the extended warranty covered all but $1500 of a $6500 repair bill. Most of the $1500 they did not cover was for 'upgrades' that we chose. On our current MH, our extended warranty covered $1200 of a $1400 repair bill. Yes one need to get authorization 'BEFORE' repairs are made and yes it might take an extra day or so, but we figure extra time into our travel plans. I think one of the keys is to work with the repair center and ensure that they understand your intent and are wiling to work with extended warranties.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
As described above, I have learned that persistence is the key. In my most recent adventure with my warranty insurance company, an issue was discovered on Monday around noon. The insurance company was contacted and they said they would send out an inspector within 24 hours. He finally showed up on Friday morning. I guess they realized I wasn't going to leave.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:23 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Update

An update of the progress. The warranty company did send out (2) inspectors. One at the service center to take pictures of the coach, where the radiator "was" located and the odometer A second inspector went to the radiator repair location to inspect the old radiator there. It took about 5 days total to get the inspections done, but I'm not complaining....just wanted the contact with warranty company made and the insurer to respond.

So it is now approved for repair and we "should" have the coach back the end of next week if all goes well as it ends up they must "build" a radiator. We will still have money out of pocket, but we know at this point that $4400 is covered.

Will be glad to have our coach back and at least it is early in the season when it was discovered.

Counting blessings through the struggles.

Tags
repair