Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #1

RV converter/charger

I have a progressive Dynamics model PD9260c converter/charger in my 2008 Monaco La Palma. When hooked up to electric 30/50 amp service how low does house or chassis batteries have to register before the charger kicks in?? When I checked house batteries they were reading 12.5 volts and chassis batteries were reading 12.1v. The main panel lights have 4 readings: low, fair, good, charging. When I push test on main panel, the panel shows fair. I can never tell if the batteries are getting a charge.
MSgtNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #2
YC1

It should kick in automatically at any level and based on your comments there is an issue.

It is a fairly smart charger and manuals are available to download.

You should be seeing 13.5 at a minimum when it is charging. Ok, that can vary a bit so don't hold me to that exact reading.

To own an rv you have to be handy with tools, a voltmeter, and a checkbook.

There are plenty of you tube videos available out there to help you get over the hump of using a meter. All those funny scales can be a bit intimidating and I get calls from my brother still after suggesting he take pictures of his meter for future reference.

Take some pictures of your batteries and after printing them out get voltage measurements and write those on the pictures. A three ring binder with sheet protectors can save your tail when under stress trying to figure out some complex/simple problem. Often just being able to eliminate half the systems is helpful.

If you have a meter already and need some help just post a picture and there are hundreds of highly qualified folks here that will help you along.

You only need a couple of functions on the meter and it does not have to be an expensive one.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #3

You should see a constant 13.4 volts anytime the RV is plugged in or the generator is running. The " Charging " light should be on.

That voltage should also show up with the engine running but that's a different system.

Check for bad fuses in the fuse section of the circuit breaker box. 2, 30 or 40 amp fuses side by side.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #4

No idea what RV you have, but absolutely, when plugged into shore power or generator running, your converter or charger (again, no idea what you have) should charge.

That means a minimum of 13.2 VDC!

And, on many coaches, chassis battery is NOT charged from the converter/charger.

More information on exactly what you have and better answers.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
No idea what RV you have, but absolutely, when plugged into shore power or generator running, your converter or charger (again, no idea what you have) should charge.

That means a minimum of 13.2 VDC!

And, on many coaches, chassis battery is NOT charged from the converter/charger.

More information on exactly what you have and better answers.
The OPs first sentence gives the year make and model.
Did you miss that ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, converter