Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #1

RV covers first timer

we just brought a 2001 monaco dynasty and we are going north for the summer and leaving ower motorhome here in florida and it won't be under cover could anyone recommend what kind i should buy thank you jim and carol
alfredcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ADCO makes some nice covers; available at Camping World. They have a designer series with a tyvek top.

I have used these covers on my rig since it was new. I am on my third one in ten years and this is the best one I have owned. I will get another two years out of this one but it already has rips which I need to repair. "My third one" means the others have deteriorated and needed to be replaced. This will happen in three to five years.Unless you spend a kings ransom for sunbrella, covers are destined to rip in the wind and on the corners; it's part of the exercise.

I am glad I have used covers it has extended the exterior life of my coach immeasurably.

However many people criticise them for rubbing on the edges of their coach and tearing in the wind; depending on the wind sometimes to shreads.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have one of the older style ADCO covers. It works, but like njs42 says, it tears and rubs the paint on the corners.

It is also very difficult to install. You have to climb the ladder carrying this heavy cover and then lay it out from front to back and drop it down over each side. If it's perfectly calm, this is not to bad. But if the wind is blowing, it can be dangerous. Then you have to secure several straps under the motor home and "lace up" the front and back using nylon cord. My cover does not have a zippered door opening, but the new designer covers have a zippered door so access would be much better.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Jim and Carol,
Will you have electricity in storage? If so, (lucky you), set the AC around 84 and keep everything closed up. No cover with this option. You will need to depend on someone to check out the unit every few weeks to make sure it is operating and has not tripped any fuses. If no electricity, I would choose not to cover it as the humidity here is terrible in August and September. The cover (in my opinion) tends to promote the growth of mold inside (does not breathe as they claim). It will get extremely hot inside if you have no overhead shelter. It is better to crack a vent but again someone needs to check to make sure there is no damage to the vent or shower dome that would allow water inside. Having lived in Florida most of my life and having owned quite a few fifth wheels and two motorhomes, I have tried different ways to protect the units. The cover does provide some protection from the heat on the roof but overall can do quite a bit of damage with some of the winds we have in our summer storms almost daily. I would skip the cover and just find someone to check on your unit weekly if possible. Good luck.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you haven't done it yet, don't. save your money. I've been in the canvas business for 40 years and I no longer cover my MH. much to hard to put on and maintain. I just wax it 2 times a year and cover the tires 8yrs. old still looks new.
Tallen
03 Camelot
tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I've had all the "BAD" experiences with covers.......now I do as tallen does (read his blog). deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a cover on a different rig in the northwest. Had both mold problems and staining on the roof. Fed up with it, I located a pole building to have it under cover. While I don't like having to pay monthly rent, I finally have a place where it stays in good shape and no risk of leaks.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #8

RV covers used here(not home store tarps)
Love the RV staying dry. Love no UV damage, Love no bird poop etc etc
Hate tieing a rope on it and pulling it up top. Hate making sure all sharp corners are covered so not to rip the cover, Hate not being able to quickly cover and uncover before and after use.
I uncovered mine 2 weeks ago after being covered all winter...it was almost as clean as when it got covered. That part I do love

If you do opt to cover yours..make sure there is nothing on the roof that once covered will create a dam and allow rain water to pool on the roof. I use 3 laundry baskets, placed upside down to avoid the damming effects that the roof railing creates when covered
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #9

thankyou so much
alfredcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
alfredcycle.......I would agree with many of the posts above if you were using the motor home frequenty and you bought one of the Adco covers from Camping World. Since you are leaving it parked for a long period of time, I would cover it. Adco makes a VERY nice cover, similar to a heavy duty boat cover. They cost about $1500.00 and won't flap or cause issues with the paint.

I have one of these covers from Adco and when I'm not using the coach for a long period I cover it. This more expensive cover is heavy and will be difficult to get on the roof, but it sounds like you'll only be doing this once a year. The secret to a heavy cover is to tie a nylon cord around the front (front end of the cover) and then pull it onto the roof while someone feeds it up to you. Again, for your situation, you may be able to solicit some help you put it on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you own the property where the RV is stored?
Personally you can get a full metal carport installed for a few bucks more than a $1500 cover.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote