Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #29

Carolina Campers
RV Life..we made a mistake!!!

RVing is not for everyone, or at least not for someone.... Some folks present thought provoking comments, others present provoking comments...

Ted
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Time Shares?!?! Been there... done that... Only once as a guest, but will never do it again. Oddly enough, for most of the reasons you posted about RVing, but in spades. This was especially true about the loud drunks. I agree that there are always a few numbskulls that believe the rules are for everyone but them, but they're everywhere. As said, you'd need your own private island to get away from them. Considerate behavior seems to have died in the 1960s. State Parks and the like, in the off season, is where we camp. In the summer, the places are over run, crowded, and loud. From October to April, I've yet to have a problem.
This! We used to vacation in timeshares. Loud, obnoxious people partying by the pool at all hours, which just happens to be under your bedroom window. Angry couples screaming at each other in the adjacent unit. People stomping around upstairs all hours of the night. Kids jumping and screaming right above/below/next to you while you're trying to sleep in a bit. Not to mention the hunt for a parking spot every time you get back.

The early check out, which means ending the day before early so you can pack up, or staying up late to pack, or getting up early to pack and clean. Not being able to check in until 4pm, which means driving around with a car full of luggage, etc. until check in.

Let's not forget the cost of a timeshare, and that for the cost of a solid, used DP you get one week a year worth of timeshare points. Then there are the maintenance payments. Yay! You'll probably need a rental car too, and maybe even airfare. Boy, I sure do love the TSA. They are so much fun to deal with. I've got to say, there is nothing more exiting than having to buy new toiletries every time I go on vacation, not to mention donating expensive electronics to the TSA Baggage Handlers Economic Enhancement Fund.

Now if you don't want to eat out every meal you'll have to do some grocery shopping when you get there, and if you're in a touristy area that could mean paying quite a bit for overpriced groceries; even at places like Wal Mart. If you're staying somewhere with no kitchen, or an insufficient one, that could mean eating out three meals a day, which gets expensive really fast.

Yeah, been there, done that, and have a closet full of the t-shirts. It's why I have my current rig now. I much prefer being able to load up my rig in my driveway and drive to where I'm going, taking my own car with me.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I happen to love the RV lifestyle and have been doing it for over 14 years full-time.

I have traveled from northern Alaska to Key West Florida, northeast Canada to southern California and have never been even close to anyone like you described in your first post on this thread.

If it ever were to happen I'd be on the road faster than lightning looking for another location to hang out at. That's why R HOME has wheels so if I don't like my neighbor or the scenery I hit the road for some other place. Try doing that in a Stick & Brick house!

I wish you luck in the next chapter of your life and maybe you should try living on a boat the next time. I have often thought about doing that but I am very attached to the RV lifestyle that I now have.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Larry I hate it you picked all the wrong campgrounds.There are a lot of people on here that could help you find just the place your looking for.We sure wish you would have asked.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With the economy, there has been a lot of folks force to go the RV life to have a place to live. WE have seen a huge increase in the low cost full timers in the commercial parks. WE have much better camping experiences in the state parks, National Forest service and Corp of Engineers Parks. They for the most part have campers there that really enjoy the nature and peace and quiet.

That being said, last night we had to have the park police come and talk to some loud campers. But 98% of the campers are good people. The other 2% are the problem. SO do not let this small group of idiots ruin your camping.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 01-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #34

Dang it! I just sold my house, and the wife and I quit our jobs, and we were on the way on to the road...

...until I read this thread!!!

Old 01-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have had more problems at hotels then at RV parks. I use the COE as my first choice. Sites are well thought out, paved, shaded, by the lake, good fishing, and 1/2 price with my card. Then my mothers idea of camping is the Hyatt regency.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Living near a large city it's very tough to find, nice, quiet campgrounds. Anything within a 6hr radius is crazy time. The state parks tend to be more quiet and (in Illinois) you can not have liquor and quiet hours are respected (for the most part) We like to find out of the way state parks and campgrounds in the middle of nowhere and camp mid-week, especially in the summer!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #37

RV Life..we made a mistake!!!

Sorry for your loss.
Thought you sold it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452734880.436840.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	116479
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 01-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Geese View Post
I started the RV life in 2003 with a Monaco Camelot..We could not wait to live the dream of camping by the lake, the tress, the wind in the pines and the smell of a campfire....Like the photos in the sales brochures. We would be totally self sufficient...quiet nights in the pines and stars.
Well the truth finally came to a horrify reality!!! Look at Google Maps of RV parks...You will soon realize what a huge mistake you have made. RV's get packed in tight "like Sardines". Your hear the neighbors, their dogs, music, cell phones, smell for their sewer hose just stuck in the pipe...not air tight. Kids on bikes and trikes and wagons. Drunks with loud trucks and motorcycles...It is a ZOO of inconsiderate people you have to live within a few feet of you rig.
We got rid of the Motorhome....couldn't find what we thought we bought into.
What a shame...but this is the true RV life...just look a Google maps at RV parks and seed what you have to look forward to in RV parks..
Larry
Sorry to hear that Larry. It took you 12 years to figure that out?
Old 01-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #39

Larry,

trust me, you're not the only one to experience what you've been through. I could write a novel about all the bad experiences - some, even the Park Wardens couldn't believe happened.

For those stating to use those wheels ...

Can't use them at 03:00 am - where are you going to go?

Self-defeating, when you drive 1200 Km to then have the privilege of having one of the worst encounters ever. All I was thinking was I should've stayed home! Why did I drive all this way?? The Park is beautiful but all it took was one person to ruin it.

This link is why I go RVing but won't give up on it until I've been where I want to go first ... if that means having to continue to deal with what I've been through, I will.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ScubaStevee62

OK, once in a while, something "good" results from the actions of others like:

• Two little girls wolf howling - they actually sounded like wolf pups ... which brought a wolf into the campground early the next morning. That was a face to face experience I had with the wolf that was amazing and the first and only wolf I've ever seen. Had I given up on RVing before then, never would have experienced it
Peace and tranquility,

Steve
Old 01-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #40

Some examples of the "cramped" sites while weekending this past camping season: Nolan Lake, Ky; Raccoon Lake, IN; Gettysburg Campground, PA; Summit Lake, IN.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1452737571205.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	116484   Click image for larger version

Name:	1452737617384.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	116485  

Name:	1452737677886.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	116486   Click image for larger version

Name:	1452737699740.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	116487  

Old 01-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
One of our best experiences was at a small campground in Wyoming. We were so close to our neighbor we had to jockey the rigs back and forth to get the slides open. We met some great people there that night.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Sorry for your loss.
Thought you sold it.
Attachment 116479

He didn't sell it folks.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread