Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
RV Parks - Genset Policy ?

Hi guys!

Just wondering what the typical genset policy is for most parks. I run mine every once in a while for 30 minutes under load just to keep it up. I saw my neighbors looking at my kind of funny and it got me wondering about policies. Mine is LP and it's pretty quiet so I personally don't see it as an issue but I thought most parks did not care if you run your genset.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I have no experience at any other park....yet!
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Most campgrounds do care & don't allow running your generator, that's why they have electric hook ups. If they do, they'll state it in their rules, which usually have a quiet time (i.e. 11PM-8AM). You should ask at check-in if you want to run yours.

Only twice in my experience have generators been allowed running in a campground:
1. Power was out due to a tornado that came through the area a few days before. Generators could be run up until 10PM. Luckily power was restored about 36 hours after we arrived.
2. The campground power was not substantial enough for a full campground on a 95-degree/humid 4th of July weekend. Low voltage issues were happening during the peak heat of the afternoon & coaches with AGS were kicking in. It subsided once it got closer to sunset & AC's started cycling off instead of running full blast/non-stop.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome- thanks for posting up your experiences. For some reason I was under the impression that, typically, they could be run during the day. But as I said, I have no experience with other parks yet.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #4

If you have electric hookups, why do you want to run your generator? General rule for gen maintenance, is at least 1 hour under a good load, per month to dry out windings in gen end, and heat up engine oil.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
That's what I was doing. I was just surprised that the neighbor was looking at it funny, which is what got me wondering about typical park policies with respect to genset operation. It's pretty darn quiet so I really didn't think anyone would care.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:08 AM   #6

Was it the neighbor who your exhaust pipe was aimed at ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yes. But it's very quiet and runs on LP.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:47 AM   #8

Does HE think is very quiet ?

Does HE know its running on propane ?

Propane is a cleaner gas but it still smells.

Sorry, but I'd give you a look too, if I had to listen to the drone of a generator aimed at me.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:13 AM   #9

The vast majority of campgrounds with hookups don't allow generators to be run.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #10

When moving between campgrounds, run gen for an hour under load. Then you don't have to run it in the campground. Once a month should do it.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Something that jumped out at me was the phrase "... every once in a while for 30 minutes under load..." . That may or may not be pertinent.

I would think if the genset was exercised during the mid-day when most folks are away from the CG and maybe once in a 'great' while for a 'short' period, that wouldn't be too much of a nuisance (if it's necessary, as compared to the alternative of enduring dirty looks). Similarly, I take at most 5 minutes (or less, if possible) when airing up my suspension/etc before departing a CG, and that's a necessary noise. However, if it's started every other day and runs for 30+ minutes, I'm sure that would attract attention.

How quiet is that genset, really? Is it quieter than the rv engine? I have an 8kw diesel, and even it could be considered 'loud' in an otherwise pristine nature-filled area. If it doesn't have complete and efficient shrouding, I'd venture to say it's not "... pretty quiet...", as compared to the rest of the CG.

To help with your dilemma, maybe a bit more info (actual runtime, when it's run, where it is, dB levels, etc) might help us. How often does one feel it needs to be run? Not wanting to get into the 'should I run my engines more or less often' debate , should one also run their coach engine as often too? I understand about getting moisture into the genset windings and so on, but even that should be tempered considering the environment.

I'm with the other folks, it may not be a hard and fast 'no holds barred' rule, but we all enjoy peace and quiet, and clean air when we RV.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It has come up at FMCA rallys before. People will buy 30 amp instead of 50 amp and just run their generator if 30 amp is not enough during the day. FMCA spots are really tight (20-25’ wide) and thus your neighbors exhaust is in your door. People buy electric to get away from generator noise and smell.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Do they also complain about the camp host mowing the campground? My generator is a whole lot quieter than that lawnmower even if it is many campsites away.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #14

Best idea, do not pay for a campsite and save money, and go to Walmart or a truck stop, and run your generators as much as you want. You can use that money you saved on the campsite, and buy fuel to run your generator with it. Campsite people are happy not listening to your generator, and you are happy because you can run your generator.