RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Service center said propane tank was rusted on bottom..

I dont know that its a problem.. other than needing paint.. Anyone else ever had to spend time on this?
Im gonna pick it up thurs. I guess the current plan is hit it with a wire brush and paint it.
gonna check with a local propane svs company to see what they might offer
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #2

Check with the propane company, they or someone else should be able to sonic test it. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
I dont know that its a problem.. other than needing paint.. Anyone else ever had to spend time on this?
Im gonna pick it up thurs. I guess the current plan is hit it with a wire brush and paint it.
gonna check with a local propane svs company to see what they might offer
Did they refuse to fill it? Or just made the statement?
They will rust, steel.............wire brush/sand and repaint........done.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #4

do some google searching
I am lead to believe rv propane tanks are almost bullet proof and just require sanding & painting, surface rust is normal
Old 10-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #5

Wire brush it and paint it with rust killing paint.

Permanently mounted tanks have no expiration or testing requirements. They are built with thicker steel then portable cylinders.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-10-07-15-12-10.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	303785
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #6

Permanently mounted tanks don't need recertification, and are built WAY thicker than you think they are to contain more than double the pressure that the LP can produce. For reference, that max pressure is somewhere around 200 psi if the ambient temperature is at 110 degrees. If you manage to be at Death Valley in August (dear god WHY would you do this?) the LP pressure can get to 260 psi when the temperature hits 130F out.

So the tank will be capable of at least double that for safety - don't go nuts with a grinder, but a fine-grit flap wheel will be perfect to take off the scale, then prime and paint and forget about it. Use a quality enamel paint and give it at least a couple coats, and you are good.

I've never done ANYTHING on the now-21-year-old tank under my older coach. It's just fine hanging there.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I didnt need it filled yet so no I wasnt there for that. Getting wheel bearings done. Doesnt seem to be much in the area for sonic or X ray testing. The pipeline companies in the area need access to both sides and said it would prob cost more for them to check than it would cost to replace.

thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #8

I wouldn't grind on it but you could use a orbital sander with 36grit if very scaly . Just scrape and hand sand small spots and progressively finer paper will actually be faster . Then use convertor like Ospho then paint or use convertor paint. Don't goop or up fill in with paint any stamped lettering or cert. #s. Mask or buy new any labels.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, rust, service, tank