Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #1

RV State by State Weight Laws

Anyone know of a site showing State by State weight limits for RVs? I read somewhere we have an exemption and don't have the same limits as normal trucks.

I hope this is true as my 98 Executive is a bit heavy on both the front and back axels. We are up in the Northeast and I've heard they have scales at some tool booths and I don't want to get held up or have to pay a heavy fine.

Thanks for any help.

larry
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Here is some lite reading on the subject:
RV Weight - Ten Tips
Understanding RV Weights
RVSafely.com
How To Weigh Your Recreation Vehicle | RV Safety.com
DOT RV Regulations | eHow
Federal Size Regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles - FHWA
Weigh Stations | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
Personal Vehicles - Weigh Stations by State - Trucks, Trailers, RV's & Toy Haulers - ThumperTalk
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/manda...rvs-87881.html
Old 09-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Towing World Official Website
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #4

I could not find any answers from the above sites. I guess nobody knows.

Thanks for the try though.
Larry
Old 09-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
No problem if you keep the front & rear under their GAWR limit.
If they are not. Then go on a diet.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Well, still doesn't answer my question. The sticker behind the seat says Front GAWR is 12,000 and Rear is 23,000. I had the MH weighed and the front is 12,300 and the back is 23,700, so I'm a little over the factory rating.

That's not the problem. The problem is as I search around the internet I see Commercial Trucks are limited to 10,000 on the front single tire axel and 20,000 per dual axel, in most states. I don't have a tag axel to split the back end weight and can't really remove engine parts (M-11) to reduce the rear weight. The front end is heavy because of the forward overhang and the 7.5 Kw gen set in front of the axel.

If we, many of us, have to hold our weight to DOT Rules for Commercial Drivers we can't go anywhere or if weighed would be subject to a large fine.

Again, the question is: Do Motor Home RVs have an exemption and therefore allowed to be way over weight? If so, what's allowed and are all the states the same?

Larry
Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The rear axle weight is limited to 20,000#'s by the Federal Bridge weight limits. HOWEVER, last year they did give RV's an exemption and now allow 23,000# axles on RV's. Anything over that is illegal, but I have yet to see anyone stopped for it. BUT on some tollways in the east they were turning RV's away that were overweight.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #8

I have never entered a weight station. It is my understanding that the weight stations are for commercial vehicles and private Motor Homes are exempt. Does anyone go through the weigh stations with their motor homes?

PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
'65 Corvair Sports Sedan (on Trailer) toad
PAPA J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Wait. First you are not commercial. Second trucks with loads weigh 50 to 60 thousand pounds. Hence the 18 wheels and 6 axels. You won't have any problem. I travel the northeast all the time. I doubt they have scales at the toll booths. I've never seen them. Drive and enjoy.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
There are some states that have exceptions about RVs not needing to go into the weigh stations. Some have no exceptions for RVs but also no requirements for them/us to go into weigh stations.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #11

Larry: Why are you worrying. . You do not stop at weigh stations so d not worry. A Semi can be 80,000 total with 12,00 on the FA, 34,000 on the drives and 34,000 on the trailer.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #12

It's true, we are all allowed to bypass the weigh stations. But DOT at anytime they want can check anyone they wish. There is also the problem being weighed at New York toll stations.

Most states allow 10,000 on the Front and 20,000 on a single back tandem or 34,000 on a double tandem. If you're over that you get a fine, I know from my days driving a truck across this country.

I don't have a phone connection right now, but when I do next week I'll call some state DOT Offices and try to get an answer about RVs.

I'm not especially worried about getting a ticket as I avoid the toll roads and bypass all scales, but I haven't been in all the states and don't know when a Barney Fife DOT Officer might want to check me. Not knowing I'm overweight won't get me anywhere.

When I can confirm some real numbers or gain some info from DOT I'll add to the post.
Larry
Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I doubt they have scales at the toll booths. I've never seen them. Drive and enjoy.
Never seen them myself but some of them do, in fact, weigh as you come to the tool booth.
Several years ago it was a big topic on some forums as some manufacturers (Monaco?) made single axle rigs with a 23,000# axle (this was before the exemption was granted) and some of their RV's were turned away at some of the toll roads. The manufacturer even had to buy a few of the rigs back and they went to making tag axle rigs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #14

Take a look at this website. It is a state-by-state list of limits for RV's and towing, including axle weight limits.

Towing World Official Website

I've always been edgy in other states, when passing weigh stations and not knowing if they automatically exclude RV's. I'd love to see a list of states that INCLUDE RV's in the weigh station "visitation" requirements.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight