Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #1

Found this video concerning handling tips for a RV tire blowout at the Michelin RV Tires Web Site. I learned something from it and maybe others will also. Hope I never need the info.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/toolbox/video...p#The_Critial_Factor

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Phrog Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #2

Found this video concerning handling tips for a RV tire blowout at the Michelin RV Tires Web Site. I learned something from it and maybe others will also. Hope I never need the info.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/toolbox/video...p#The_Critial_Factor

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Old 07-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Retired Senior Member

Very interesting. I am sure I would not have reacted properly. Still have to overcome that BRAKE-NOW urge. As in riding a motorcycle, the basic rule is: "When in doubt, gas-it"!
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:29 AM   #4

I watched the video and it it is very informative.

07 Trailbazer HRRVC-Webmaster
discfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RonNBama:
I am sure I would not have reacted properly. Still have to overcome that BRAKE-NOW urge. As in riding a motorcycle, the basic rule is: "When in doubt, gas-it"! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me too. Interesting comparison, though. On a motorcycle, if you've been riding any time at all, the basic instinct is to gas-it. If you put the brake on you know you're going to loose control and fall over. But in a motorhome, I'm not sure I would have reacted the same, even though the principle involved is the same. Thanks for posting that, Phrog Driver.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'd stay off the brake for sure but the idea of adding power is a bit dicey. The problem is that very few RVers ever experience one flat let alone enough to have a conditioned response.

Ron
Old 07-31-2007, 06:32 AM   #7

As you might have guessed, I was a Marine Helicopter Pilot. Following the established emergency procedure(s) saved my bacon more than once. What impressed me about the video was the amount of testing they did. My thought is that if you don't add power temporarily, the steering wheel correction will be greater. If you are comfortable with that, then just taking your foot off the gas would seem to be alright. I have not flown a helicopter since 1990 but I can still remember those emergency procedures.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
IT Works! I was unfortunate enough to "unwrap" two tires on separate occasions on previously owned Class C. In both cases I got a vibration a few seconds before that actual "blow" which caused me to be alert that someting was wrong. In both cases I was in an area which required me to keep speed up and find good exit spot. dp
Dave Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote