Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2016, 04:35 PM   #1

RV Trip Planning Ap

Looking for a good ap to use for RV trip planning. So many on the market!!

Any suggestions?? Thanks

Jeannie and Frank
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This question comes up often and there are plenty of good apps that are good for finding campgrounds and routes but I often find them lacking in one area or another. The way I look at it what is the sense of using a app for route and campground and you end up using several apps to find other information. As most in app maps are Google Maps why not just go with Google Maps. I use Google Maps and as a Good Sam member the Good Sam Trip planner (if you are not a Good Sam members the free version of the trip planner is Rand McNally - TripMaker) . I use the trip planner after I figured where I want to go so I can upload my route to my GS GPS. But for planning I use Google Maps to plan the route, look for campgrounds, search for tourists sites, visually check roads and campground entrances through Google Street view, In satellite view I zoom in on rest stops, campgrounds to see layouts, check tourist sites for RV parking, and then click on the item I am checking on the map and go to their website for the hours they are open, etc. Usually campgrounds have local attraction links that I check out. When planning sometimes I have ten tabs open in browser going back and forth updating my route accordingly.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've been using RVParky.com over the last year. It's free and works pretty well. You can layout the basic route by city, then look at the RV Parks near that city and see basic information and user ratings. Once I pick my RV Park, I usually cross reference with RVParksReview.com and Good Sams.
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I use a number of different resources when planning a trip.

Once we've decided on the area we want to visit .... I use

Allstays and Google to identify potential campsites
Google Maps to perform high level route planning
Dashboard mounted Garmin GPS for "next turn" navigation

The one thing that I rarely see mentioned in this discussions - are tools that help you pull all the elements of a planned trip together. (Routes, URLs to get to websites of campgrounds, points of interest, etc., Reservation information (i.e., reservation confirmations, critical receipts, etc.) I use Microsoft OneNote for this stuff ... great tool for putting ALL the information about your planned trip into something that can be easily shared as well as easily accessed. I'm constantly building a "Notebook" of data with information about our plan as I slowly but steadily put together our plans. I like that I can research and "build" our plan with mouse, keyboard and big screen of my laptop ... but make all that information available to both my DW and I on our cellphones so that we've both got any/all of the information at our fingertips anytime/anywhere.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
There is an area in iRV2 - Crossroads - where most would ask the question and get more attention...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:06 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trip Planners

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldNC View Post
I've been using RVParky.com over the last year. It's free and works pretty well. You can layout the basic route by city, then look at the RV Parks near that city and see basic information and user ratings. Once I pick my RV Park, I usually cross reference with RVParksReview.com and Good Sams.
I'm currently using Furkot.com to plan our trip from Florida to the Pacific NW, Desert SW and back, Summer 2017.
South Florida https://knotatsea.blogspot.com
brenthg is offline   Reply With Quote