Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
Ali

Monaco Owners Club
RV won't move - what might be the cause?

Hello Everyone

This is embarrassing. I was working on the RV, finished replacing exhaust manifold gaskets. After all done, I was going to take it out for a test drive. Engine starts fine, air builds up fine to 100+psi. No warnings or error lights on dash. Everything looks and sounds normal. I stepped on the brakes and release the emergency/parking brakes. I hear the air release. Everything is normal at this point. Then I push the D button on transmission controls, it lunges a bit, but does not move. I step on gas, wants to go but feels like something is holding the beast. Tried it several times, checked all the fuses, still the same.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thank you
Ali
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When was the last time it moved?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Sounds like You have a brake shoe(s) stuck to the brake drums(s) .. This can also happen with disc brakes..
Try reverse a bit .. mebbe they will pop loose..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #4

If it hasn't move in a while,the breaks could be stuck.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like a brake has locked up or has rusted. Try shifting from D to R a few times. See if that frees it up.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with Arch. Air drum brakes have been know to lock/freeze to the drums, especially if not used in a while. I used to see this with the MCI 102C3 buses that I drove, and when it would happen, sometime putting the transmission in reverse and giving it a little go can break the lock/freeze. Make sure you have some room behind you if you try this, it may not go far, but if it's just a stuck brake, it may jump a little.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #7
Ali

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks you so much for your responses. I put a camera under the coach, facing the rear drums and shoes, although the piston moves when I released park brakes, there seem to be a frozen drum brake issue on both rear tires. I did not move the RV for 3 weeks, it is strange drums got frozen.

I am going to grab a 4 lb hammer, chuch all the tires, release the park brake and hit the drums to see if I can unbind them. I will you know in a few hours.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Thanks you so much for your responses. I put a camera under the coach, facing the rear drums and shoes, although the piston moves when I released park brakes, there seem to be a frozen drum brake issue on both rear tires. I did not move the RV for 3 weeks, it is strange drums got frozen.

I am going to grab a 4 lb hammer, chuch all the tires, release the park brake and hit the drums to see if I can unbind them. I will you know in a few hours.
Monaco's are notorious for the brakes freezing up. Put it in reverse and hit the throttle on and off like rocking it. In a few tries it will break free.
klcdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post

CAUTION !!!
SECURELY BLOCK (chock) ALL THE WHEEL POSITIONS BOTH FRONT AND REAR OF THE TIRES.... BEFORE RELEASING THE BRAKES !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #10

Not sure I have heard of this happening in such a short period of time.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
That has happened to me a couple of times. After I wash the coach, if I wash out the wheel wells, water seems to get in there and the brakes seem to stick closed. Now what I do if I am washing out the wheel wells, I'll leave the brakes Off while it's in storage just for a couple of days. I chock the tires and that seems to have solved that problem.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Not sure I have heard of this happening in such a short period of time.
I have had it happen over a weekend.. Brake drums were wet when park brakes set, combination of brake residue and contaminates from the roads combined with the moisture will set up between the shoes/calipers and drums/rotors.
Also have had wet shoes & drums during winter, set the brakes then when they cool off below freezing, freezes the shoes to the drums.. same result.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just had this happen to my front D.S disc brake ! So, it wasn't even engaged while the coach sat!
Old 04-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #14
Ali

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all, really appreciate your responses, and you were all spot on. Both rear drum brakes were frozen solid.

As Saddlesore suggested, first I securely chocked all 6 wheel positions back and front. I started the engine, released parking brakes, put to neutral and turn the engine off. Of course the warning buzzer was on warning me about the parking brake position. Then raised the rear all the way up using air leveling. After double checking everything I crawled under with a 4-lb hammer and a big steel hook bar. Hammer worked fine on one side, but the other drum was stubborn, which I used the hook bar to do the job. You can hear brakes coming loose with a metal ping sound. After that I was able to move the RV without issues

We owned this RV for several years, and it sat way longer that 3 weeks before, and never experienced this before. It was always release the brakes and go. I guess you learn something new every day with these 20+ year old beauties :-) Lesson learned, I will keep the hammer and steel bar in the motorhome from now on.

Thanks again for all your responses and quickly pointing me in the right direction. I was losing hope, you guys saved the day