Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
S Series Air Bag AKA Air Spring Replacement

I had a leak in a rear air bag so I decided to replace all 6 rear bags. I replaced the front 4 bags a few months ago as one of them had sprung a leak. I ordered the Air Springs from https://www.finditparts.com/ Their service is fast, ordered on Thursday and will be delivered Monday, free shipping.

The 45' S Series chassis is the most difficult access of all I have worked on. The shorter S Series has a lot less metal to crawl through. Good thing I'm small.

Tools of the trade. That small 1/2" impact came in handy.

Why may be a good idea to change the air bags. See the separation? Both Tag Axle bags were like this.

This is the brass fitting that is larger than the opening. A crow bar will force it through. It will snap the 1/4" elbow off but makes for an easy job on the difficult access positions.

Mount with bag removed. You can see the white drill pipe that keeps the suspension up.

Middle rear bag mount

Limiting strap needs replaced also.

This are the bags I'll install.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have to give credit to member "hockeydiesel" for the tip on using a crow bar to force the brass fittings through the hole!
Old 09-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #3

Is there a link to a previous posting on this you could give us a link to? I'd like to read the whole story.

I don't get what you're talking about about the brass fitting larger than the opening? What is that there for? Is that something that the air bags have? The picture looks like some kind of metal tank.

I have air bags so I'm gathering info.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Is there a link to a previous posting on this you could give us a link to? I'd like to read the whole story.
I don't get what you're talking about about the brass fitting larger than the opening? What is that there for? Is that something that the air bags have? The picture looks like some kind of metal tank.I have air bags so I'm gathering info.
It's a Monaco thing, the air bag top mount has a 1 1/8" hole for the air fitting. They put a 3/4" to 1/4" bushing in that hole. That bushing takes a 1 1/8" wrench which means the outside dimension is closer to 1 1/4" at the corners. That is what the picture shows although it is hard to see the hole.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/2007...gs-454064.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/air-...lp-456487.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/air-...er-436775.html

Here's a new and old air spring, both are the same make and model and part number.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for posting this. It may help me in the near future.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for posting. I'm scared to look at mine.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Isn't using air tools cheating? [emoji16][emoji16]
Thanks for sharing.
Air springs seem to be the thing to change lately!
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Air tools are about winning! In reality it didn't fit on the top of several bags and I used a wrench and 4# hammer to loosen those. I cured the fit problem with the bushings not going through the hole. I screwed the bushings into the new bags today and used a 1 3/8 12 point socket on my 3/4" impact and spun the ridges off in about a half second! (hope they don't leak)

The coach was manufactured 01/2007, who knows when the chassis was built. I've had 2 bags leak this year and the others were well worn. Those tag axle bags really surprised me with those large split areas. It has spent quite a bit of it's life in GA, FL and the last 6.5 years in the desert. I'm thinking the extreme heat and ozone played a part.

John, it's interesting to see the differences between the different chassis. I work on a friends S Series 2008 Patriot Thunder Brandywine 43'. It is so much easier to access everything in the engine-drive train area than my 45'. The engine is painted a funny color-yellow!

Vito, if you can power wash everything under there before you enter, it will be so much cleaner and a better working environment.

Tomorrow I will start installing the bags. Then the air dryer purge valve and then........... Has anyone ever done an air leak check without finding a new one????

I think it would be neat to have a pit and could do that. Then I think about being down there with all of those scorpions and black widows.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Another Toot on the horn for https://www.finditparts.com/, Ordered the last air spring over the weekend and arriving Wednesday. It's a different brand https://www.finditparts.com/products...can-wa01-8897c as there were no Continentals left in the supply line.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The bags just forward of the rear axle were extremely tight and hard to get to on mine. But I don't have a tag (not knowing if that might make a difference).
Back by the side radiator I had plenty of space.
Odd about the fittings bring so different. Mine took 3/8 tubing, but only had an 11/16" hex. Fit right through the hole with lots of space.
Great job!
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:57 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Do you already have an air drier purge valve. I have a new one, free for the taking. I’ll look at the part number on the box in the morning.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Do you already have an air drier purge valve. I have a new one, free for the taking. I’ll look at the part number on the box in the morning.
Harry, I haven't ordered it, was going to today. It's for a Haldex Wabco https://www.haldex.com/en/na/air-dry...-kits/950014k/ Part # 950014K
Old 09-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Has anyone ever done an air leak check without finding a new one????
Ha, this morning I installed 5 air bags, capped the 6th line and aired it up. The front ride height valve started blowing. I'm sure glad I'm at my home base.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I’ll be back to town late Saturday. So can meet up with you on Sunday, if you wish. If you want to replace it before then, I understand. I’ll never use it, and it is free!

I replaced the turbo cut-off valve that was hissing, to no avail. I bought the purge valve at the same time. In the end I found a genuine Wabo Meritor air dryer for a nice price. After installing it,I have a coach that holds Air tank pressure for two weeks, which has t held for more than two days since new. Who would have thunk that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2418.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	260647

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, replace, replacement