Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Since Monaco bought out SMC a few years ago, and dropped the HCW line, I hope the few remaining owners of HCW coaches are welcomed here. I have a 1999 Renegade Classic that now has 100012 miles on the clock, it had 17,460 when I bought it and still gets 9.8 to 10.2 mpg. I have worked on various MH while I was employed at Lazydays till Dec '05. Now retired and cutting hay and watching the days go by. Left hurricane alley and landed in tornadeo alley. I did work on quite a few of the Monaco products and I'll try to answer some questions if I can.

Oh the retirement life. Should of done this a year ago. Life is one day at a time. Enjoy.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Since Monaco bought out SMC a few years ago, and dropped the HCW line, I hope the few remaining owners of HCW coaches are welcomed here. I have a 1999 Renegade Classic that now has 100012 miles on the clock, it had 17,460 when I bought it and still gets 9.8 to 10.2 mpg. I have worked on various MH while I was employed at Lazydays till Dec '05. Now retired and cutting hay and watching the days go by. Left hurricane alley and landed in tornadeo alley. I did work on quite a few of the Monaco products and I'll try to answer some questions if I can.

Oh the retirement life. Should of done this a year ago. Life is one day at a time. Enjoy.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #3

I'd like your opinion on water leaks in the area of a slide out, on a 03 knight.

This unit is new to me and I'm chasing my tail abit here. One thing I know is that there is NO water leaking when the slide is "in".

When this slide is out (bedroom slide) the water is entering and soaking the floor in the left rear corner of the coach. It is a small area, about 1.5 sq ft. but it stinks and the wood is damaged. This area is concealed under the rear wardrobe/cabinets. I believe I'm gonna go digging here and remove stuff until I can figure this out, but any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Matt S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Matt,
Have you tried talking with the folks in Wakarusa, IN Holidat Rambler Corp 800-866-6226 Tech support. They made your coach, they should have an insiders idea of how to fix it.

radarr
Old 06-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Matt,
Look at the rear seal the wipes the side of the slide as it goes in and out. Also there should be a bulb seal on the back side of the trim work so when the slide is out it seals against the wall. Do you have a slide awning on this? They do help. Also check the wiper slide on top. Try this the next time your out in the rain, using the jacks tip the coach just a little to the slide side and see if water gets in. If it doesn't then either the wiper or bulb seals are bad. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't own a Knight but I suspect the slide cutout is similar to my 04 LaPalma.
I had a leak in my bedroom slide in th left front corner. My leak turned out to be on the slide cutout sill. There are "transition" (?) cups at each corner of the slide sill. These cups help hold up the bottom seal. They are fastened to the cutout floor with screws or pop rivits and there is a small gap between the bottom of the cup and the sill.
Water intrusion in this area is stopped by caulk but, in my case, it was not completely sealed. I pulled the old caulk out and discovered where the water was entering. I recaulked this area and stopped the leak.
It took a while of checking seals before I narrowed it down to that corner. Access to the above area is from the outside.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #7

Glad to hear you are enjoying your retirement. We just came through your state on I 75 on the way to our Grand Daughters Graduation in Urbana Ohio. Stayed at the KOA at Corbin Ky and it is very nice and the owner operators are very accomodating.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Rich and Babs,
Sorry we missed you. We are on the western end of the state, I-40 exit 143. There is a CG here call Lorretta Lynn's. It is about 20 minutes from the house depending on traffic. Yes retirement is great. Just got out of the hospital after having major surgery on my neck, right cartorid artery had 90% blockage. Now recovering at home. All fine. Take care and have a great summer.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt S.:
I'd like your opinion on water leaks in the area of a slide out, on a 03 knight.

This unit is new to me and I'm chasing my tail abit here. One thing I know is that there is NO water leaking when the slide is "in".

When this slide is out (bedroom slide) the water is entering and soaking the floor in the left rear corner of the coach. It is a small area, about 1.5 sq ft. but it stinks and the wood is damaged. This area is concealed under the rear wardrobe/cabinets. I believe I'm gonna go digging here and remove stuff until I can figure this out, but any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.[/QUO

Did you ever locate the source of your bedroom leak?

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #10

Sorry I'm late responding....I've been away with the coach and family on a long weekend. We have a drag race car, the coach is our truly our home away from home, when at the track.

A thousand thank you's to your response's.

I'll be diggin tomorrow morning (my day off)
I love this "cup seal" idea....caulk is cheap...
I will post my findings.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:00 AM   #11

Good advice Adj, and while you're at it Matt, put some rough tape[about an inch wide] vertically on both sides and across the top of the slide. The tape would be about a foot from the gasket when the slide is extended.[Home Depot or Lowes]

That'll help "flip" the gaskets out when you extend the slide..

W-22 2002 Admiral
BobFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:19 PM   #12

Hi Matt, I have a 03 knight and all 4 corners leaked on my slides, took it back to the factory to be fixed and had it back for about 3 months before we had it out in the rain again and still have one corner that leaks so back to the factory this fall. They did put tape on the sides of the slide
jim d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hi all -

My Endeavor PAQ had a leak in the same place, but the weather fixed it ..... hasn't rained here in several months

To be serious for a minute, the mention of looking at the slide-cups is a good one. When it 'used to' rain here, mine would do that too. Took it to Monaco, and they realigned and resealed around all the cups. It took me a minute ot understand what the tech was talking about, but the best I can explain it is that a cup is the small curved-in piece of rubber-material where the side-seal meets the bottom-seal. Everything is supposed to be even or slanted outwards a bit, but a lot seem to develop a 'set' and/or are bent inwards. Made a big difference.

On the subject of the grip-tape, I was very curious to see what Monaco used. Turns out there is more than one similar product at HomeDepot/Lowe's/etc, and Monaco recommended the stuff that does NOT have the very rough, raspy open sandpaper feel, but more of a coated-sandpaper or nubbly feel. Tough to explain, but easy to see when you've got both kinds in your hands. The real rough stuff is going to chew up the side-seals a whole lot faster than the nubbly kind, so be aware. I suppose either will eventually wear out the seal, but having a slide-seal that does what its name implies is worth the concern.

Glad to see all the folks on our Monaco forum.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:17 AM   #14

Great ideas, thanks to everyone

I have been digging into the transition/cup seal area and have not been able to find anything that would allow a leak.

I have been reading about the slide seals and the rough tape to move the seal to the outer position. I have checked my coach seals and found them to be turned inboard on this bedroom slide. The lip edge of seal is pointing interior. You guys are telling me this is incorrect? The application of rough tape will pull the seal to the outside?

Seems like the OEM missed a step here if I am reading this correctly.

Thanks again to all who have helped with their thoughts and experiances.