Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Safari Owner

I've graduated to a 2008 Safari Simba from an older Coachmen. I'm quite happy with this little 31' gasser which seems to be a step above most in it's class (in my opinion). The problem I have encountered is that there is very little discussion on-line about the Safari line of RVs and especially of problems encountered with these MH's. I realize that they are no longer being manufactured by Monaco and were only under the umbrella of the "old Monaco" but, am I an orphan owner? Like I stated, I've had very few problems with this coach and the DW and I are very happy with it (we are retired with no traveling companions). We would like to hear from other Safari owners, especially Simba drivers.
BJLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hello and cograts on the Safari. We have a 2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ and have no major problems with it. The Safari was the lower line in the Monaco Family but used the majority of the same components of their Monaco, Holiday Rambler and Beaver relatives. Even as an orphan, you can still get most "Safari Specific" parts from Monaco or one of their suppliers. I had a shower door go bad that Monaco or their supplier neither one still stocked or would order, but the supplier gave me the name of the manufacturer and I was able to order the door for about 20% of what Moanco would have charged anyway. Again welcome to the family.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My two Cents
Congratulations, I think you will find your Safari a great coach.

We have traveled approx 22,000 miles in the the 3.7 years of buying new. The only major problem was the warrenty loss. Componet problems: LDI hyd pump asm a major cost and loss time, Ramco mirror camera - great service from them- shipped me a replacement with easy instructions to replace.
In 2008 We toured the manufacturing asm plant in Wakausa Ind and saw all three -Monacos: Holiday Rambler, Safari -30, 33, 34,36 footers built on Workhorse, or Ford Chassis. The 2009 gas models have 4 colors with clear coat finish just like the diesel pusher line - Also the Safari has a front engine diesel in their line up.
I asked and did talk to the Manufacturing Engineer and the Quality control manager as to specific warreanty problems of the 2004 thru 2008 models with regard to windshield cracking and side wall delamination. They stated these issues were corrected.
The asm was defined as one of the 3 (Brand and model) when the coach box was set on a chassis length frame 30 to 36 foot and the specific front and rear cap was attach to the frame.
The front and rear cap, grill, headlights and taillight and the color/pattern of the interior carpet, dash (faux wood or brushed metal), interior wall paper, fabric and cabinet knobs and sink faucet finish.
So the color and interior fabric - HR -very midwest conservataive, Monaco - middle of the road, and Safari more edgy, bold youthful style defined the Brands.
Dealer list price for 34 footer was approx the same for all three Models.
90 % of the MH is made of Vendor parts used in all the other mfg homes.
Enjoy
Old 04-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #4

From another post about Safari:

Safarifriends : To promote the exchange of information regarding SAFARI MOTORHOMES.
http://www.safari-international.org/
SafariCoaches : Sharing about Safari Coaches lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJLove View Post
I've graduated to a 2008 Safari Simba from an older Coachmen. I'm quite happy with this little 31' gasser which seems to be a step above most in it's class (in my opinion). The problem I have encountered is that there is very little discussion on-line about the Safari line of RVs and especially of problems encountered with these MH's. I realize that they are no longer being manufactured by Monaco and were only under the umbrella of the "old Monaco" but, am I an orphan owner? Like I stated, I've had very few problems with this coach and the DW and I are very happy with it (we are retired with no traveling companions). We would like to hear from other Safari owners, especially Simba drivers.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #5

Smile Safaria Simba 2008

We purchased a use Simba from Lazydays in Tampa, Fl.in Aug. of 2011.At the time of the purchase it only had a little over 3000 miles on it . We love the coach but we have had a problem with the workhorse engine. The wiring for the spark plugs has burn out twice. The last time being yesterday and we are presently at a KOA at exit 1 in Georga about 120 mile from our home in Palm Coast,Fl. We can not get service until Monday.Has anyone else had this problem with the workhorse chassis ?If so what has been the solution?
Cjsimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsimba View Post
We purchased a use Simba from Lazydays in Tampa, Fl.in Aug. of 2011.At the time of the purchase it only had a little over 3000 miles on it . We love the coach but we have had a problem with the workhorse engine. The wiring for the spark plugs has burn out twice. The last time being yesterday and we are presently at a KOA at exit 1 in Georga about 120 mile from our home in Palm Coast,Fl. We can not get service until Monday.Has anyone else had this problem with the workhorse chassis ?If so what has been the solution?
Sounds like your plug wires are getting too close to the exhaust manifold and thus burning.
The long term and permanent solution is to install a set of quality headers, get rid of the stock manifold because they retain heat, and install a new set of plug wires.
IMHO Banks makes the best headers, but are a little on the pricey side. However, I installed Banks headers on my coach because they are simply the best. All others will say theirs are as good as Banks.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have an 09 Cheetah but it came with a digital owners manual and wiring schematics so if you need either I have them.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #8

The burned plug wires are probably at the rear of the engine. There has been discussion on the Safari Trek forum about a workhorse modification that directs more air to his area. Go to this forum and use "search" http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/portal_content.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsimba View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #9

Thanks for the help.This time the problem was not a burnt spark plug wire A clip came lose that feeds the spark to the left side of the engine.The motor home was only firing on the right side.
Cjsimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Love my Cheetah 38 PDQ. Have put 20,000 miles on in three years. Just completed a 10,000 mile 6 month trip from Washington State to Key West and back (second trip). Dick
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Love my 2007 Simba as in other replys Monaco has used most components from their higher end units,mine has had minor problems and has now 18000 miles on it,still love the "Bus"
Old 07-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #12

Another Yahoo Group that can be of help to Safari owners, (and other "orphaned" coaches), that became "step children", when bought out by Monaco, (and now by Navistar).
Monacoers : Monacoers
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #13

Safari info @ Monacoers

Sorry about my previous message re: The Monacoers Yahoo Group.
It is @ < http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Monacoers/ >
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Owners manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I have an 09 Cheetah but it came with a digital owners manual and wiring schematics so if you need either I have them.
I recently bought a 2008 Safari passage without owners manual. I would think your manual may help me. How can I get yours or do you know how to download a manual for my mh. Email me at. ringenbach@cox.net
Ps I found a digital manual for the workhorse chassis and the radio, but not one from safari. Thanks
Dringenbach is offline   Reply With Quote