Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #1

Safari "Velvet Ride" vs. air ride suspension?

As we are looking at coaches we're seeing both 8 bag Magnums and the non-air "Velvet Ride" Safari's in our price ranges... with pros and cons to both (for example, single slide outs in a Serengeti with 8 bags, dual slides in a Zanzibar with "Velvet Ride").

Blindly, my head says "stick with air suspension, period" but I see Safari continued without air ride on some models until 2003 (or so it seems). Is it a big deal?

Thanks for your patience!

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #2

Test drive them both down some rough roads and across bridge expansion joints and the truth will come out. Is a Velvet Ride another name for leaf springs? If so go with the air bags. Believe I have done springs and now love my air bags. It is a big deal. There are lots of motorhomes out there for sale at or below wholesale right now especially with winter coming on. My advice is to take your time and get what you really want now or you will be buying another motorhome again later to get what you really wanted.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We owned a 96 Safari with the Velvet Ride, & it was a bone jaring ride -- Had the coach for 7 years, & we really it, but it was a relief to get a coach with air ride -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #4

We have a 97 Safari Serengeti M-4040 that has the BF Goodrich developed Velvet Ride suspension and really like it. I believe the trick with a Torsion type suspension is to have the correct shocks with correct settings and good tires that are properly inflated. Tiger Track bars also help.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The Velvet ride, a torsion bar suspension, was developed for use in emergency vehicles and adopted by Safari to get a ride similar to air ride without having the air system. The coaches do not have air brakes in the traditional sense, they used air over hydraulics with disc brakes all around. They got around the added expense of having an air compressor on the engine to run the air sispension. The velver ride coaches we saw had an small compressor in the "basement' that provided air for the air over brakes. We had a 2000 Zanzibar with air ride that was OK but not match for the 8 bag Monaco chassis IMO.
Having driven a Velvet ride Zanzi and owning an air ride model of the same coach I can say go for the air. The disc brakes on some of the older Safaris were problematic because the calipers didn't retract properly and caused overheating in the wheel affected and in some case fires. We never had that problem but people at the Safari rallys were vocal about it.
Ron
Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Air bags are the BESTEST!!!!! Plus, so much easier to park and level too!!!!!