Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Safe-T-Plus and steering gear wear

I've been running the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer on my '09 Camelot tag axle coach for 2 years. Although I don't think they help a lot with wind gusts and passing trucks, I think they are a worthwhile safety device in case of a front tire blowout. But they do add stress to the steering gear.

It takes noticeably more effort to turn the wheel, the tighter the turn (as when parking) the more effort it takes. And this stands to reason, after all, the Safe-T-Plus exerts a maximum of 280 pounds of centering force. So I've been wondering what effect this could have on steering gear? Will the added load shorten the life of the power steering pump? Will the added pressure on steering knuckles and joints cause quicker wear?

From an engineering point of view, the answer is yes. You can't add more force without causing more mechanical stress. But from a practical point of view, does it matter? If it means my steering gear is only good for 900,000 miles instead of 1,000,000 I guess I don't care. So what do you think: will adding a steering stabilizer cause faster and noticeable wear and tear on the steering gear?
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree there is a factor here. but think in practical terms not a problem.

Anyone with experiences to the contrary?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the steer-safe about a week ago and the coach only has 756 miles on it. I did drive it from the factory when it had 16 miles on it so I've got about 700 miles driving it without the steer-safe. They say that an additional 400 lbs of centering force is applied to the steering system with the steer-safe but I sure can't feel any more force needed to drive or turn the coach. It track and handles well.

I'm a happy camper.

TeJay
Old 08-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not having gone over 100,000 miles in a coach with the BIG BLUE Safety-T-Plus I didn't have any front end problems. deSanford PS I have one installed on my current coach with a Henderson's steer unit for road and wind corrections.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the Steer Safe on my MH last year for added protection in case of a blowout. I don't notice any change in the steering after installing them. It may be a little harder on the steering joints but to me it's worth it!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I just had a white knuckle drive today. My Class C was blown partially into next lane by a passing 40+ bus going 70mph plus. Would something like this item help me avoid problems like the one I had today? Or at least reduce the amount of push. It was hard to recover from the bow effect and not over steer back to my lane.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Not having gone over 100,000 miles in a coach with the BIG BLUE Safety-T-Plus I didn't have any front end problems. deSanford PS I have one installed on my current coach with a Henderson's steer unit for road and wind corrections.
I have one also. Brisk crosswinds today on I-90 in Montana. Turned the wheel into the wind, flicked the trim switch and was able to drive one handed.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW5000DRIVER View Post
I just had a white knuckle drive today. My Class C was blown partially into next lane by a passing 40+ bus going 70mph plus. Would something like this item help me avoid problems like the one I had today? Or at least reduce the amount of push. It was hard to recover from the bow effect and not over steer back to my lane.
You should first look into a larger sway bar or a track bar and better shocks.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post

Bob
Roger that. I will take that into consideration when I discuss this issue with a local RV repair shop. I definitely want better control from now on.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:

Bob
I hadn't checked the shocks since I bought it. It's a used 2000 and I bought it 2 years ago, but didn't think the shocks could be part of the problem.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Might even have the original factory installed shocks. Yes that "trim" unit is very cool. If you don't have one you are stuck with the original setup, and not all roads have the same "taper". As you mention with HIGH winds especially broadside the trim unit really earns its cost. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW5000DRIVER View Post
I hadn't checked the shocks since I bought it. It's a used 2000 and I bought it 2 years ago, but didn't think the shocks could be part of the problem.
Just looking at the photo of your motorhome I can see their is a significant overhang out behind the rear axle. When the wind blows from a perpendicular angle to your direction of travel it pushes against that large section. That acts like a sail and exerts a force pushing the front of your coach in the opposite direction of the wind. If it is a steady wind then you correct with your steering. Then when a large profile vehicle passes you and blocks the wind you get a sudden change in steering direction. If the wind is gusty you will have a similar effect even without a passing vehicle. Both sway bars and shocks can help reduce this. I have been down this road and discovered these things the hard way.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:

Both sway bars and shocks can help reduce this. I have been down this road and discovered these things the hard way.

Bob
Thanks for the information. I will definitely have the shocks checked and update my sway/track bar.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Safe-T-Plus for 11 years this month on mine.
Haven't noticed any steering difference yet since first day.
But it may have been changing over time and I don't realize the change.

Still on OEM shocks etc.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering