Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #1

Salesman switch solenoid location

Does anyone know where this solenoid could be located in my 2004 Camelot? I have a large solenoid in my battery bay that the house batteries hot lead connects to and the chassis batteries hot lead connects to. There are also two small wires on terminals one being purple. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	326946
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 09:17 PM   #2

Good evening DaveBunker; I see no one has replied yet so I will try and hope I get it right. The picture you posted is a Trombetta solenoid and I think it is used on a number of coaches to connect the chassis and the house batteries together for charging. I am not sure if it also serves the function as at Battery Boost solenoid. I think the one you are asking about in your battery compartment is the Battery Boost Solenoid activated by the battery boost switch on the dash.

In your heading you have Salesmen Switch Solenoid Location. I am not 100% sure, but I think on a newer Camelot, mine being an 01 Windsor, that solenoid is located in the electrical bay up on the drivers side of the coach. You need to remove the 3 nylon wing nuts and it should be located behind that panel. Did this info help? Hope so and have a great evening!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:18 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't call it a 'salesman switch' while twinboat is still awake !

Mine is in my rear run bay.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

Ok, storage switch, sorry. LOL
Old 05-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #5

Technically, it's a battery disconnect switch and solenoid .
Old 05-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Good evening DaveBunker; I see no one has replied yet so I will try and hope I get it right. The picture you posted is a Trombetta solenoid and I think it is used on a number of coaches to connect the chassis and the house batteries together for charging. I am not sure if it also serves the function as at Battery Boost solenoid. I think the one you are asking about in your battery compartment is the Battery Boost Solenoid activated by the battery boost switch on the dash.

In your heading you have Salesmen Switch Solenoid Location. I am not 100% sure, but I think on a newer Camelot, mine being an 01 Windsor, that solenoid is located in the electrical bay up on the drivers side of the coach. You need to remove the 3 nylon wing nuts and it should be located behind that panel. Did this info help? Hope so and have a great evening!

Yes it did burner...however to locate it one needs to switch it on and off while ones listens for the solenoid to click. Problem is I have no DC power at all. Nothing coming into the coach. What’s weird is I couldn’t even start my fridge on AC hooked to my 50 amp shore power here at home. My generator wouldn’t even start.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
In my 04 Camelot it is up front drivers side box in front of left wheel.... Mine is inoperative so I ran a jumper wire across the in and out posts.
TRH299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
Yes it did burner...however to locate it one needs to switch it on and off while ones listens for the solenoid to click. Problem is I have no DC power at all. Nothing coming into the coach. What’s weird is I couldn’t even start my fridge on AC hooked to my 50 amp shore power here at home. My generator wouldn’t even start.
Sounds like your large house battery disconnect switch may have failed.

Wouldn't be the first.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:10 PM   #9

Hi DaveBunker; Monaco did different things with different coaches and years. My previous 2000 Windsor needed the house battery connect solenoid to be activated to supply the 12V power to run the refer. My current 2001 Windsor does not. Also needed that solenoid activated to start the gen. where as my 01 Windsor you do not. Crazy from one year to the next. Sounds like your refer and the gen. are powered from the house batteries and need that solenoid activated to make those items work. I see TRH299 also gave you the location of that solenoid. If I remember from his pictures the solenoid is located in the lower left of that box. Almost looks like the old Ford starter relay.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Sounds like your large house battery disconnect switch may have failed.

Wouldn't be the first.

Very possible and I will check it out tomorrow. If it didn’t I might upgrade it anyway.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:59 PM   #11

Quote:

Why does that bother twinboat calling it a salesman switch? My salesman switch is located in the front run bay.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:27 AM   #12

Dave

Here is an example of one house battery disconnect solenoid that Monaco used, the KIB LR9806C-BIP. That Web page also has a picture of the solenoid's location on a typical Front Distribution Panel. If the LR9806C-BIP doesn't match your coach's solenoid, the same supplier has others listed here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:47 AM   #13
YC1

This may be what your panel looks like.

Below the driver, outside compartment.

The relay is at the bottom left.

It is a latching relay. See the pdf for description of operation. The schematic on the pdf is for reference only.

The relay can be removed and bypassed or bypassed in place simply with a jumper or stacking all the wires on one of the large posts, or just bolting them together and insulating them.

Removing the relay for me was for the safety of the fur babies. If they bumped the switch near the door the air conditioners would not function.

The solenoid in the battery compartment is part of the "BIRD" battery combining system. It can get very hot to the touch if running on shoreline or generator.

That solenoid should be on everyone's maintenance list to replace every few years in my humble opinion. That darn thing works hard and can become unreliable leading to all kinds of crazy complaints.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Relay Latching type.pdf (379.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf Front Distribution Panel Late model picture.pdf (350.0 KB, 16 views)
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Dave

Here is an example of one house battery disconnect solenoid that Monaco used, the KIB LR9806C-BIP. That Web page also has a picture of the solenoid's location on a typical Front Distribution Panel. If the LR9806C-BIP doesn't match your coach's solenoid, the same supplier has others listed here.

I got one on Amazon last fall, "KIB LR9806 Latching Relay".
It was identical to my old relay but on the old one, one side did not have the 5 amp fuse and if I recall, the wire coming out did not lead anywhere and no instructions in the box. So I left that off on the new one also and it works. I wonder what the - side is for, a second switch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_151306.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	326974  

Tags
cat, sale, salesman switch, solenoid, switch