Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2014, 04:17 AM   #1

Same ol' topic, New fridge install

This has to be one of the most talked about topics in the RV industry. I apologize to everyone in advance that I am starting yet another thread on this. Yes, I have decided that I want to change out my inefficient Norcold with a residential type. I have researched this to the point that my wife is no longer excited about it!! I have a 2003 Camelot with the furnace mounted under the fridge opening. By taking my measurements, I realized that the Samsung is not an option, too tall. I found an, unfortunately more expensive, Fisher & Paykel model that is 67 1/2" overall height and I can knock off an inch by removing wheels and feet, but still seems like it will "just fit" with less than an inch to spare. I read Diplomat Dons' post over and over again and was trying to figure out the metal frame he built. I need every 1/16 of an inch I can get. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lars99, Have you looked at this site by A.J. Madison they have a couple of units that may fit. You can punch in size limits.
http://www.ajmadison.com/refrigeration/

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #3

I'll check it. I will remeasure again today to see if I can get the fisher paykel in. With the norcold still installed, it's hard to get an exact measurement to the top of the furnace. I was also going to call Atwood to see if they make an interchangeable low profile furnace that can get me another inch. Unlike diplomat dons that I saw, his seems to be flat across while mine has a step to it. That step is what's killing me

Larry
Old 04-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #4

Check this post. Looks like a direct replacement for the two door Norcold.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/new-...it-201673.html
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just installed a Samsung 197.that by taken out 3/4 inch plywood WOW, what a difference. We had your problem with height. Some MH Mfg's install the furnace under the frig on blocks (Wood pads) which increases the height of the furnace installation. that was our problem. After removing the old dometic it became quite apparent that we didn't have enough height because of the furnace. inspecting it without a refrig setting on it we saw it would lower it some , almost enough height. Then we saw the way the furnace was mounted on the wood pads and we removed them and reinstalled the furnace about 2 inches lower. We then re mounted the plywood (1/2) and everything fit. We considered removing the furnace completely. We hate it. both of our Air conditioners have heat strips, so the question came up to remove or not. Once we got the height without removing it we decided to keep it (for now). Because of the total height of the install if or when I need service on the Samsung I think I'm going to remove the furnace and lower the Samsung. safe travels.... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
We just installed a Samsung 197.that by taken out 3/4 inch plywood WOW, what a difference. We had your problem with height. Some MH Mfg's install the furnace under the frig on blocks (Wood pads) which increases the height of the furnace installation. that was our problem. After removing the old dometic it became quite apparent that we didn't have enough height because of the furnace. inspecting it without a refrig setting on it we saw it would lower it some , almost enough height. Then we saw the way the furnace was mounted on the wood pads and we removed them and reinstalled the furnace about 2 inches lower. We then re mounted the plywood (1/2) and everything fit. We considered removing the furnace completely. We hate it. both of our Air conditioners have heat strips, so the question came up to remove or not. Once we got the height without removing it we decided to keep it (for now). Because of the total height of the install if or when I need service on the Samsung I think I'm going to remove the furnace and lower the Samsung. safe travels.... ed
Thats awesome thank you. I have a question tho, By lowering the Furnace, it was still able to line up with the outside cover?
Old 04-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

Glad it worked for you and I understand you probably don't use your furnace but for anyone else who may be lowering their furnace I would check the manufacturers specs for recommended clearances as this could be a fire hazard if it's at hot surface.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #8

By lowering the furnace, does everything such as the outside cover line up?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
when we 1st looked at the furnace install we were doubtful it could be lowered. When everything was apart just for kicks I pushed down on the furnace when the blocks were removed. It just went down. For safety we installed a piece of steel plate between the furnace and floor. Everything fits and no other change was needed. Like I said earlier I considered removing the furnace completely. Before installing the refig floor we tested the furnace and checked the temperatures on tops, sides and bottom. No problems. Biggest problem we encountered was removing old dometic. rerouting sink sewer line, moving electrical box. Wife loves it. safe travels.. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Lars99......When I did mine with the heater, I measured over and over again for a year. I cut the feet and the wheel supports off of the Samsung. I then created a frame out of 3/4" square tubing that I fitted to the bottom of the refer. It was flush up against the bottom. I then used angle iron that I literally rested on the sides of the heater as the floor/base. When the refer was installed, there was only 1" between the top of the heater and the bottom of the refer. No floor....open design. The only heat that would come off of the heater was out the front ducting. I wrapped that in insulation and never developed any real heat between the refer and heater. We also infrequently used the heater.....maybe once a year.

You can't lower your heater. It's already on the floor and fitted to the outside vent.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 AM   #11

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that measures over and over again and then again! Thank you for your help and since I purchased my monaco 1.5 years ago, your posts have inspired me with ideas for mine. How did you secure the 2 frames together? did you bolt the 2 together once the fridge was in to lock it in place? I like this idea because it makes for easy out should you need service. Also, did the install require the support bracket on top by near the old Norcold roof vent or can it be done without?
Old 05-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I still have a norcold but would like to upgrade. My refer is in the hallway so I think I need to keep with a 4 door. The Samsung 197 will fit if I take the upper cabinet out, HOWEVER, I don't have a furnace under the frig, Only an 120volt junction box and kitchen sink sewer line is under there. Anyone with that same set up moved the elect and sewer? That would lower the frig down to floor level, making access to upper shelves easier.

bill h
06 windsor
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Larry....at the front, I drilled through the two frames and bolted them together. On the rear, I had just enough room on the right side, while facing the rear of the refer to reach in and drive a self tapping screw into the two frames.

The roof vent opening is framed out in aluminum. I took a piece of tin, about 4" wide and folded it into a "T" shape. I mounted the "T" so that about an inch of tin was protruding above the refer and would clear the opening when I installed the refer. I mounted the tin by driving some short 1/2" self tapping screws into the tin "T" on the side and top. I drilled a hole through the one inch protrusion. Once the refer was installed, I ran a piece of 1" aluminum strap from the framed vent opening down to the tin bracket I made and bolted them together. In 10K miles that refer never moved even a 1/16".

I documented the brackets fairly well in my install write up.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:26 AM   #14

Don,
Thanks again for the info. I remeasured yesterday with the Norcold still installed and found that I have 67 1/8 from the top of the Norcold frame to the top of the furnace. I ended up going with the Fisher Paykel French door fridge that measures 66 1/2 inches to the top of the door hinge with the feet and wheels removed. If my figures are correct, this will give me 1/2" clearance between the furnace and the fridge as long as I construct the metal frame system. I am planning on making the back end of the frame sleeved where it will lock in as I slide the fridge back into place. A lot of work for cold food and beer! I will take pics and give details as I tackle this in a few weeks. Windsor Bill, check out the Fisher Paykel french door fridge, it comes with or without water and ice and is shorter than the Samsung.

Tags
fridge, install