RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #1

Samsung 197 in 2000 Dynasty

I think I saw a thread on putting a 197 Samsung in a 2000 Dynasty, which has the vertical height problem and the furnace underneath. Can anyone point me to that? Or have any of you done that conversion? TIA

Van W. Soon to own a 2000 Dynasty 36

Vanwill is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Since no one has opted to comment on your specific year you can check out http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/repl...197-97661.html

RickT does a good job of describing the project. Several Monaco owners such as myself used his design as the basis for our own install. Every MH (model, year and options) is a little different as to what is under the existing shelf, access in front of frig and ceiling height.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
DtBt How did you secure the refig, is it bolted in the rear? The Rick T's is the same as in the 2000 Dyn w/the 4 door no cold
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
This might not apply completely to your conversion but it may help. A good play by play and many pics. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sams...dq-102210.html

I also just installed a Samsung 197 in our motor home and only had to remove a drawer underneath and build a new little sub floor. No more soft ice cream, warm beer and meat still not frozen after 2 days. Should have done it sooner.

You need 70" of vertical height.

If you need any more info give me a shout.
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Walt and Will,
There are several options in securing the rf197. I removed the front rollers and reversed the L bracket that the roller was attached then through bolted the front to the plywood shelf. For the rear I installed a couple thicknesses of 4mm plywood in the rear top of opening so that the frig would not rock in opening. In the beginning I used a strap around the front when traveling but that proved unnecessary. No movement for a couple of years. The key is to make sure the plywood shelf is secured to the MH.
Others have used lag bolts accessed from the rear door to secure the back side. Some have used a strap attached to the MH rear wall. All of those techniques seem to work just fine.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #6

We posted our install of the Samsung 197 in our 04 Camelot. We had to remove back furnace. You can access it under Lekhuset 11/2011.
lekhuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Vanwill....I'm prepping for the install now. I have an 05 Diplomat with about 70" of clearance for the 69 3/4" refer. I had back surgery yesterday, so I won't start install until May, but I have the refer in the garage and have been putting together a game plan,

Luckily, the wheels take up a lot of height, so I will be removing the wheels from the refer. There is a formed 3/4" bar on the bottom of the refer that runs from side side to at the rear of the refer. This will basically sit on top of the heater. I'm not putting in a solid flor. I will be welding up a frame that supports the fridge in several spots, but will leave the entire area open between the refer and heater. I will probably use thin dynamat insulation on the bottom of the refer. Since there will be no floor between the two, I don't forsee any overheating issue with the heater. We probably only use the heater twice a year.

I'll do photos from start to finish. I will also be adding a 600-1000 watt inverter and two more batteries for piece of mind.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #8

DtBt—Thanks for the info and the leads. I guess you had to deal with the furnace issue in some way? Care to share a first name?

Walt—I don’t know why I thought you had a Dip, not a Dynasty. I don’t actually have Bob’s coach yet (the 2000 Dynasty). I’ll pick it up next week. You know me—just because lots of folks say it can’t be done, that doesn’t even slow me down. They may be right, but I’ll have to see it for myself. I’ll give you a call when I get the coach. I’m sure different floor plans have different challenges. What floor plan is your 2000 Dynasty?

CFXCH—Thanks for your input. I think, though, when one has a drawer beneath the fridge instead of a furnace, the installation is fairly straightforward. I’m sure you can still give me some valuable input. When I installed a residential fridge in my 93 Dynasty, just separating all the wiring and getting it flat up against the walls to make room was quite a job. Thanks! Care to share a first name?

Lekhuset—Swede, thanks for the reference to your install. I’m not familiar with your coach. You said you removed your “rear” furnace? Where was the “front” one? I’m all but certain the 2000 Dynasty I’m buying has only one furnace, but removing it has still occurred to me. We are not boondockers, and cube heaters or “blue flame” propane heaters would probably be OK for us.

Don--I’m glad to hear you decided to take the plunge. I dearly love the residential fridge I installed in our 93 Dynasty. Hope your back heals well. I really like reading all your posts. I’ll probably TIG up an aluminum frame for my installation, also. I’ll just have to wait until I take possession to really assess the situation.

I still have some questions, even though I don’t have the 2000 Dynasty just yet—

What are the differences between Atwood and Suburban furnaces? I read something that led me to believe one or the other could be serviced from outside the coach, even if the “floor” above them had been severely lowered.

What alternatives are there if the furnace is removed? Has anyone ever fabricated their own Aqua-Hot copy?

Is servicing the furnace made that much more difficult (impossible?) by lowering the floor over the furnace? As long as one has the dolly they probably made (I did) to install their fridge, removing the fridge takes only a few minutes.

Thanks for all your input. I’ll bet you we can all figure a way to get that Samsung in my new-to-me 2000 Dynasty.

Van W. 93 Dynasty 36 that does not wander, pulling one Harley
Old 04-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
What are the differences between Atwood and Suburban furnaces? I read something that led me to believe one or the other could be serviced from outside the coach, even if the “floor” above them had been severely lowered.
Van,

Not Don but I believe the Atwood can be serviced from the outside and also removed from the outside. The Suburban has to be removed from the inside. We have the Atwood under our Samsung 197 install and there is not much one needs to do from the inside unless the unit is to be removed. You then only need to disconnect the side hose, propane line, and power connection.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Van, the furnace requires some small space above it for air flow and heat disbursement. Consider building your frame for the fridge to almost sit on top of the furnace with the area completely open above the furnace and below the fridge - no floor. That will give you a bit more space to solve the height problem. The furnace would have sufficient air flow and not harm the fridge.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #11

Rex,

On one of the threads in iRV2 concerning the Samsung 197 conversion, several folks referred to your expertise in similar matters and there was talk of you helping folks with that conversion. Did that ever happen? Do you have a residential fridge in your coach? One of the reasons I want to try to come up with a way to use the Samsung is that we have the larger 275-series in our house and dearly love it. The “Dual Cooling” idea is long overdue in the fridge industry.

Does your Diplomat have the same ceiling height and furnace arrangement as the 2000 Dynasty? As I've said, I don't have the 2000 Dynasty in my possession until next weekend, so I'm guessing at some things. It is my understanding that ceiling height was increased sometime between 2004 and 2006.

Concerning servicing the furnace—I agree it will no doubt have to be done at some time…that’s just the way it goes. But I would assume all the normally serviced parts are available from the outside, regardless whether it is Atwood or Suburban. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only reason one might have to totally remove the furnace would be for replacing the blower? Do you have to remove it to replace the combustion chamber? I’m not sure which furnace the 2000 Dynasty has.

Concerning your advice about the floor beneath the fridge—I think I will probably TIG up an aluminum support framework to replace the floor. I’ve looked under it and see how the wheel arrangement works. If the width spread between the wheels is sufficient to straddle the furnace, I could easily weld up two channel tracks for the wheels to roll on, and still get the fridge as low as possible. That would leave essentially NO “floor” under the fridge, and maximize the air space over the furnace. Since I’ll be making an installation dolly to use for the project, removing the fridge for furnace service would not be a big deal. I plan to let the bottoms of the front leveling feet plug into holes or “dimples” in the support framework to secure the bottom of the fridge, along with something the “chock” the wheels. The top of the fridge I can probably stabilize with something through the vent in the roof.

I’m getting ahead of myself—don’t even have the coach yet, and Bob says his Norcold is working fine for now, and he has added a Halon extinguisher system to it. I’m not in a rush to replace it, but will surely do so before long.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #12

Our back furnace was under the fridge so we needed the space. In 05 Monaco started adding 3 inches to the the height( I think). Ours is an 04. The Camelot is the model below the Dynasty (after they quit building the Windsor). Our second furnace is in the passenger side front slide. (Our fridge is on driver's side).

lekhuset is offline   Reply With Quote