RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Samsung 197 replacement

I am having trouble locating the RF197ACPN refrigerator. Home Depot tells me that it has been replaced with RF18HFENBSP available after Oct.11th.

All of the post about the conversions are about home use units. I hear about bungie cords and velcro to keep the doors from swinging open in transit and expandable rods to keep the products in place. My loving wife is in our refrigerator regularly to keep me supplied with my Diet Pepsi and other snacks. She would prefer that I not leave the captains seat at cruising speeds.

Does anyone make an all electric refrigerator designed for RV's? What do the manufacturers use in the newer units. With the demand increasing for such units, it seems that someone may have a suitable replacement

PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor

PAPA J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if I can answer your question, but I was looking for a small refer for a tight space with low energy consumption. Originally I wanted a Samsung. But then I found this small unit at Lowe's and bought it for my mountain cabin. So far, so good.

Shop Whirlpool 19.7-cu ft French Door Refrigerator with Single Ice Maker (Stainless Steel) at Lowes.com

I hope this helps.

2007 42' H/R Scepter & 2010 Equinox Toad
SailHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Samsung did discontinue the RF197. A friend just located an SS one three weeks ago and grabbed it up. You make have to hunt nationwide.

The new coaches aren't restricted to the Norcold dimensions, so they are outfitting them with larger refers. Mine is a 21 cubic foot Maytag with water and ice in the door.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA J View Post
I am having trouble locating the RF197ACPN refrigerator. Home Depot tells me that it has been replaced with RF18HFENBSP available after Oct.11th.

All of the post about the conversions are about home use units. I hear about bungie cords and velcro to keep the doors from swinging open in transit and expandable rods to keep the products in place. My loving wife is in our refrigerator regularly to keep me supplied with my Diet Pepsi and other snacks. She would prefer that I not leave the captains seat at cruising speeds.

Does anyone make an all electric refrigerator designed for RV's? What do the manufacturers use in the newer units. With the demand increasing for such units, it seems that someone may have a suitable replacement

PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
Some folks are using these but they cost as much as new Norcold:
RF170ADX4 | Fisher & Paykel ActiveSmart(TM) Fridge - 17 cu. ft. Counter Depth French Door EZKleen Stainless Steel | Warehouse Discount Center

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This place doesn't say it's backordered, $1,340.00 with free shipping.
Samsung RF18HFENBSP Stainless Platinum French Door Refrigerators | Goe

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #6

PAPA J,
I am not aware of anyone making an all electric RV unit. I know, it would be nice to have one that has integrated door locks like the Norcold. And the shelves that sort of keep things from falling off the front (although we did use the bars in our Norcold to keep things under control). There were rumors a year or so ago about Norcold working on an electric model for RVs, but nothing more has been said since then.

Some use child locks on their Samsungs to keep the doors closed which can be disconnected just about as fast as pulling on the Norcold handles. You are obviously not frustrated enough with your Norcold to make the change. And that's alright. Just enjoy what you have until you are ready. To those of us frustrated enough to make the change, velcro fasteners are just not that big a thing.
Bob
Old 09-24-2014, 05:11 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
rf197

I use a velcro strap on the top doors and a cabinet door latch on the bottom - works good.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I got this hint from IRV2...instead of using expanding rods to keep things from moving..........keep your old Norcold drawers (crisper, meat, etc). Put your items in there and in the fridge while traveling, unload bins and store when you're camping longer term.

It also helps us schlock things from our home fridge to the RV and back.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #9

Today my wife and I went to Tom Johnson's RV's in Concord NC. to check out a residential style refrigerator in a new unit. The sales person seemed a little leary of the move to all electric refrigerators. He is concerned with the compressor holding up in a vehicle that moves and bounces around. (I guess he is not familiar with our smooth riding Dynasty's) We left there and talked to the service mrg. at a facility that builds custom interiors and performs RV modifications and he had the same concern. The service mrg. did admit that his concern developed several years ago and maybe the commpressors are more compatible now.

Does anyone know of any problems with compressors with a residential unit in a RV.? What is the longest duration that someone has had with one of these units in service?

Incidentally, my concern in an earlier post about the velcro and bungee cords to keep the doors closed and things from moving around the refrigerator would apply with the new RV's equipped with factory installed all electric units. No latches on the doors and slick glass shelves without lips on the front to keep things at bay. I guess no one is making a true RV. all electric refrigerator.

Any comments?

PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Today my wife and I went to Tom Johnson's RV's in Concord NC. to check out a residential style refrigerator in a new unit. The sales person seemed a little leary of the move to all electric refrigerators. He is concerned with the compressor holding up in a vehicle that moves and bounces around. (I guess he is not familiar with our smooth riding Dynasty's) We left there and talked to the service mrg. at a facility that builds custom interiors and performs RV modifications and he had the same concern. The service mrg. did admit that his concern developed several years ago and maybe the commpressors are more compatible now.

Does anyone know of any problems with compressors with a residential unit in a RV.? What is the longest duration that someone has had with one of these units in service?

Incidentally, my concern in an earlier post about the velcro and bungee cords to keep the doors closed and things from moving around the refrigerator would apply with the new RV's equipped with factory installed all electric units. No latches on the doors and slick glass shelves without lips on the front to keep things at bay. I guess no one is making a true RV. all electric refrigerator.

Any comments?

PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
We are now just over 3 years with the Samsung RF197 and it has worked perfectly without any issues.

The only thing we did not like was the fact that sometimes the ice cream would be as hard as a brick. Turns out if you have the ice maker on the freezer goes into a hard freeze mode. We only turn the ice maker on when we need to make ice now.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Does anyone know of any problems with compressors with a residential unit in a RV.? What is the longest duration that someone has had with one of these units in service?...
PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
I took a factory tour at the Monaco diesel pusher plant in Coburg several years ago, while they were still turning out the entire line of coaches. At that time, 75% of new coaches were getting residential fridges. I haven't seen any posts on the Monaco forums about these fridges failing.

BTW, we had a Samsung 197 installed last December. It does not go into Power Freeze mode when the ice maker is on. Our ice maker is on most of the time, and the freezer sits at 0 degrees, right where we have it set. On the other hand, the warning beeper telling us when the doors are left open has never worked, so maybe there are different features in different vintages of this unit.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
We are now just over 3 years with the Samsung RF197 and it has worked perfectly without any issues.

The only thing we did not like was the fact that sometimes the ice cream would be as hard as a brick. Turns out if you have the ice maker on the freezer goes into a hard freeze mode. We only turn the ice maker on when we need to make ice now.

Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob,

My wife and I are be leaving tomorrow (Monday 9/29) for Branson MO. I think we will be traveling through Knoxville. Any chance of seeing your modification? Don't want to impose or cause any problems but would like to come face to face with one of these mods. I can be reached by e-mail RMJ_SPJ@COMPORIUM.NET if interested. I plan to leave mid morning.

Thanks

PAPA "J" and SARA too
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
Old 09-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
This place doesn't say it's backordered, $1,340.00 with free shipping.
Samsung RF18HFENBSP Stainless Platinum French Door Refrigerators | Goe
Chuck
Very interesting site. The detailed specifications show that there is one thing that is really different about the Samsung RF18xxxx models, and that is the introduction of a thing called a Digital Inverter Compressor. Apparently this technology uses something like a switching power supply to provide variable power to the compressor that allows it to run at different load capacities depending on the amount of cooling needed.

The only article that I can find that sort of explains this technology is here. It will be interesting to see if this technology is compatible with RV modified sine wave inverters. (As others have noted, the RF197xxxx standard compressors were compatible with MSW inverters.) Samsung must be impressed with this technology because they give you a 10 year parts warranty on the compressor.

Anyway, this looks like a significant change in compressor technology which Samsung believes is more energy efficient than their current compressor. It will be interesting to see how these work in RVs.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #14

Dave, Papa J
When we travel without the generator running, we turn on the inverter (MSW 2k watt. we turn off the ice maker, not wanting to use the water from our tank. This does cause the ice cream to be less 'hard' than normal (with ice maker on) so there is some difference between having the ice maker on and off as far as the freezer is concerned. Incidentally, we turned the temps up to 40F in fridge due to ice on lettuce and 8F in freezer due to ice cream so cold it was work just to dip some into a bowl. Life is good w/o Norcold!
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida

Tags
replace, replacement