Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Samsung install finally done

Well, I was able to tackle installing the Samsung refrigerator in my 2002 Windsor with furnace under the Norcold. My brother and his family came for a visit and he was intent on helping me on a project so I proposed tackling installing the refrigerator. We did it over the course of 3 days spread days but that was good since I could work on some of the tedious stuff myself and collect my thoughts.

Also got some great advice from Bob Nodine & Van Williams. Thanks to both of them.

1. We tore the old fridge out and got it out of the coach, pretty easily after taking off the cooling unit to get it out the front door. To remove the wood shelf I just drilled a couple holes and then used a jig saw to cut in half and a large crow bar to lift up each side, being careful not to damage any of the wiring. After getting the shelf out I could get a clear view of the furnace etc. Although I had the furnace under the fridge there was no plumbing or other obstacles. There was a large wiring loom that went through the compartment, originally suspended above the furnace attached to the shelf, but there was enough slack to move it to the front of the furnace. After shutting off the gas we removed the furnace and cleaned up the compartment.
  2. After looking at options to build a platform I decided to use the heavy strut brackets sold at Lowes for hanging conduit, using the long L brackets with 1/2 bolts to attach the 2 legs. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superstrut-...rut/1000192655 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superstrut-...racket/1087587 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superstrut-...Nut/1000109145 This is heavy stuff and when bolted together with 1/2" bolts and lock washers are very sturdy. Initially we made the two stands 8" high and mounted everything in the floor of the compartment. I decided to make sure the width of the 2 assemblies were spaced to support the refrigerators 2 rear rollers which was 28" outside measurement, knowing I could modify the front to support the 2 front rollers.
  3. Removed the furnace which was mounted on a platform that was 1 5/8" high, which was enough to be able to get the Samsung in place. I capped the gas line that went to the Norcold and checked for gas leaks when I tested the furnace after reinstalling it. The 2 holes of the intake and exhaust were relocated that distance down, I made a jig to be able to located the holes. I used a 2 3/4" hole saw, and took the pieces to fill in the voids of the old holes. I then used a piece of aluminum sheet oversized to cover the old holes.
  4. The second day we then moved the new Fridge into the coach after removing the doors and shelves. Initially (in a futile attempt) we tried to bring it through the front door. We then removed the side salon window and brought it through there. Luckily I have a tractor with a set of forks on the front so it was easy to lift it to elevation and slide it into the coach. We also made a dolly the right height to move the fridge, which is a must since I ended up dry fitting + a dozen times as I perfected my support etc.
  5. The first attempt to fit the fridge showed that we needed a little more space so we cut the height of the stands down to 7 5/8" which was enough to get the assembled fridge into position. The front legs were actually mounted in ~2" to allow for the front framing and let them rest on the floor. This also would help stabilize the two stands from moving forward.
  6. To stabilize the stands in the back I was able to use heavy screws through the top of the struts and also added some blocks on either side to prevent the stands from twisting over in either direction. In the front I added walnut blocks salvaged room the rail piece removed when we took the shelf out, I attached these using kreg pocket screws to the cabinet stiles. I also added a second block (of ash for strength) screwed to the back and wide enough to screw into the stiles. I then used heavy screws to attach the front of the stands to these blocks. In the end all the extra blocking and support made the stand stable/strong. I could sand and jump on the sands and they wouldn't budge, and I know I weigh more the the fridge. By using the two stands as I did I didn't have to worry about he wires that were on either side of the cabinet and I was able to place the large wiring loom around the stands.
  7. We did multiple dry fits to confirm clearances and height when we placed the furnace back into position. The time it took to make the dolly was well worth it. The dolly was actually a moving dolly I had and I added 2X4" pieces and 3/4" plywood to the top at the right weight.
  8. To center the fridge in the rear of the cabinet I mounted 2" thick blocking on the rear of the fridge, which spaced it enough so the front of the fridge is even with the front of the cabinet. I also added blocks on the top and bottom of both sides to center the fridge side to side in the rear, these blocks were ~1 5/8" but I tapered them slightly so as I slide the fridge in it would center. This also kept the rear rollers centered on the stands.
  9. In the rear I moved both of the outlets to the side of the access door so I can plug the fridge into an invertered plug or shore power. I took the time to run an extra wire through the bathroom and bedroom cabinets terminating at the end of the cabinet where I would install a 2nd inverter if I decide to do so.
  10. After doing multiple dry fits we installed the top doors and set the fridge into place. Easy with the dolly. All the clearances looked good, with 3/8" on both sides, ~1/2" at the top, and about ~1/2" clearance to the closest point on the furnace.
  11. In the front the fridge front wheels were only partially on the stands but I was able to use the leveling mechanism in the front of the fridge to both secure the fridge in the opening and help level the fridge. I used a piece of heavy bracket material from Lowes with 1 side cut to 7" and put 4 screws through both sets of blocking that I had added to center the stands in the opening. I then traced and cut the front the same contour of the leveling bracket and drilled a hole to align to the bracket. I was actually able to used the leveling leg to attach the bottom support bracket to the fringe. I painted the support brackets black to match the fridge and after installing put the plastic cover back under the freezer door that covers the leveling feet.
  12. On the top I got a piece of 1 1/2" aluminum angle from Lowes and cut ~10" pieces that screw to the side stiles of the front of the cabinet and attach to the side of the fridge using 3m VBH tape. The fridge is rock solid and should not budge.
  13. I took the original louvered air intake under the fridge and took apart and resized it to fit into the new opening, which was ~26 1/2" X 7", I did not reinstall the louvers but instead painted a piece of wire mesh to put over it on the inside. Since the fridge sits quite a bit lower you can't really see the furnace. I also cut the pocket door pieces down at the top so I could open the fridge door all the way.

After plugging in the refrigerator while on shore power it got down to temp within 3 hours, considering outside temps were in the 90's F not bad.

Still have a couple misc things to do but completely satisfied with the install. I will also start doing some checking as the battery capacity using inverter to power the fridge and how much the solar helps.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #2

Wow, you are da man, Jim!
Also did a great service to the forum with your extensive and detailed written account.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Great write up! what model Samsung? Any pics? I did not think this was possible due to my furnace in my 2004 Camelot, but maybe so after reading this.
TRH299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks,
In my past life I had been complimented on the detail of reports that I submitted to senior management.

This type of mode is definitely intimidating but thanks to other members who had completed the same mode I finally got the nerve to tackle the project.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Great job! We need to see some pictures?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Great job! We need to see some pictures?
Thanks Vito.a
Can't post pictures on IRV2 since I'm not a paying member.

I did post a some pictures on the Yahoo Monacoers Group page.

If anyone is interested in specifics they can PM and I will respond.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Paying member? I have not payed anything to join this site and I have been attaching pictures.

While there may be some better way to do it, I just click the manage attachments box below, then click one of the "Choose File" boxes in the new window that pops up, then choose a picture from where ever you have saved on your computer, then in the still showing manage attachments box click upload. It might take a minute but then you will see the file name appear on the original reply screen below in the Attach file box. Submit reply and you are done.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Well I'll try again but when I first joined IRV2 I posted a number of attachments and reached the limit available without being a paying member. Not sure if something has changed but here goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	259968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	259969  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	259970  
Old 09-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Well what do you know, the pictures went through.

Unfortunately the first one is side ways and the middle one is upside down but you should be able to decipher them.

The last one shows the two stands in place, I did add some additional blocking at the rear.

The middle picture shows a view of the furnace under the fridge and clearance. You can also see the support bracket attached to the bottom of the leveling feet.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Looks great!.... thanks for adding the pictures!
Old 09-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Nice Job !!! You will LOVE it ! I did our install 2 years ago and have been thrilled with it !!
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #12

Great job Jim, as already stated you will love it, I installed a residential in my Windsor about a year and a half ago. Best improvement I've made to it yet.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
Great job Jim, as already stated you will love it, I installed a residential in my Windsor about a year and a half ago. Best improvement I've made to it yet.

Did you have a furnace under your fridge??
Old 09-12-2019, 06:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Did you have a furnace under your fridge??
Yes I have the furnace under the fridge same as yours. I had to lower the platform down a little to make the residential fit.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install