Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Thanks fishdoc. I do remember hearing about the power unit on top. I wonder does it stick up more than the hinges. If not shouldn't be a huge deal. Yes the F&P is better sized but it's almost twice the cost. I really don't need 18cf since I'm not a full timer. The 12cf that the norcold has is adequate. But there are no other I've found that fit reasonably well that are cheaper. I did find I think a whirlpool that is close on all sizes but is 5" narrow. 5" is really too small for any kind of racks or anything so you'd be simply closing the hole up.

I did find a guy that rebuilds these that would give me a couple hundred bucks for the norcold. Every little bit helps.

Chad
Chad, measure carefully. I put an RF18 in my 2000 Dynasty. Had to relocate the furnace directly onto the floor to get adequate height clearance. (Suburban is a ZERO clearance furnace--it is approved to sit directly on a wood floor). Still it just barely fit--1/8" to spare in height. Not sure of the exact dimensions, but the RF18 was at least 1" taller than the 217.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post

Here's a link that gives accurate dimensions: http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...HFENBSR_F6.pdf

70 13/16" from bottom of roller to top of electronics box that sits on top of the refrigerator case.

70 1/8" from bottom of roller to top of control panel on the top front edge of the refrigerator.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

I wonder does it stick up more than the hinges. If not shouldn't be a huge deal. Yes the F&P is better sized but it's almost twice the cost. I really don't need 18cf since I'm not a full timer.
Yes, the box on the top center rear sticks up 2" above the refrigerator case.

The control panel on the front sticks up 1 1/2" above the top of the case.

I was told by the techs at Alliance RV Service in Wildwood, FL that the Samsung IS warranted for use with a modified sine wave inverter. To the best of their knowledge, Samsung is the only manufacturer to do so.

You're right, the Fisher & Paykel is shorter than the Samsung; about 1 1/2" shorter is my recollection. That dimension is from my memory and you should check that before you do anything that can't be easily undone.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-12-2016, 04:47 AM   #18

After doing a little measuring I'm like most others, it will be tight. Mine has about 4 inches between the refrigerator bottom and top of the furnace. I will have to do a little more checking to see what brand of furnace I have and how much clearance it can have. I will have to drop a little as I have about 70" where it at now. There's a flourescent light above where the door will swing open and that limits me to about 70". I may swing back by Lowes and double check the smaller refrigerator that I looked at before. It's closer to size and I think only about 65" tall. Big problem is its only about 27" wide which leaves the additional 5" or so gap to fill. Also would require a smaller true sine wave inverter to power just the refrigerator.

Oh the choices and what to do. Thanks to all for their responses.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Another pleased Samsung RF18 owner here. As others have already mentioned, the control box on the top is the biggest difference from earlier model Samsung's so that must be accounted for.

As for the freezer on the bottom, this is the first unit we have ever owned with the bottom freezer and the wife absolutely loves it. I actually see us installing one in our home when the situation arises.

The installation in my 2003 Dynasty can be seen by clicking the link to my coach thread in my signature. I am far from a carpenter and the installation was a bit more involved that I had originally though due to some wire loom and vent placement issues but I was able to get through it. My original intention was to make the installation look like it came from the factory with a residential fridge rather than having an installation that look like an afterthought. I think it turned out well and we have gotten many compliments to those who has seen the installation.

I much prefer to work with metal than wood.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Another pleased Samsung RF18 owner here. As others have already mentioned, the control box on the top is the biggest difference from earlier model Samsung's so that must be accounted for.

As for the freezer on the bottom, this is the first unit we have ever owned with the bottom freezer and the wife absolutely loves it. I actually see us installing one in our home when the situation arises.

The installation in my 2003 Dynasty can be seen by clicking the link to my coach thread in my signature. I am far from a carpenter and the installation was a bit more involved that I had originally though due to some wire loom and vent placement issues but I was able to get through it. My original intention was to make the installation look like it came from the factory with a residential fridge rather than having an installation that look like an afterthought. I think it turned out well and we have gotten many compliments to those who has seen the installation.

I much prefer to work with metal than wood.

Mike.
Mike, I agree 100% on looking like factory installed. I wouldn't want any other way. I'm just opposite, I'm a carpenter/contractor by trade and am better with wood than metal. I'll decide here soon which route to go and see what I can do. Thanks for replying.

Chad
Old 04-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Mike, I agree 100% on looking like factory installed. I wouldn't want any other way. I'm just opposite, I'm a carpenter/contractor by trade and am better with wood than metal. I'll decide here soon which route to go and see what I can do. Thanks for replying.

Chad
Good luck and keep us posted, with lots of pictures.

Mike.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #22

Got down by Lowes again this afternoon to look a little more. I found a frigidaire that's very close to the size of the norcold. Only difference is its about 2 1/2" narrower but wouldn't be a big deal. Problem is all the reviews pretty much say it's a horrible piece of junk. I thought maybe I should steer clear of it since it wouldn't be easy to replace or work on.

I thought I read some had used a whirlpool as a replacement. Anyone know of an alternative other than samsung and F&P to use. Just curious what if any other options there are. I guess there are no other and that's why everyone uses the Samsung. Thanks

Chad
Old 04-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #23

Well I think I found the whirlpool that others have used. It's a wrt316. It's 16cf and all the reviews are great. A couple reviews actually state they are installed in an RV. For my purpose it's more than adequate size. The depth and height are almost perfect. The width is about 5" more narrow than the opening. That should leave me enough room to install a pullout pantry rack for some can goods and such. I may even make a storage rack toward bottom to install the sink covers and still pantry at top.

I will call whirlpool tomorrow to see what they say about modified sine wave inverter. I got a feeling I may have to install a small true sine wave inverter just for it. I remember reading about someone doing that in their coach. If anyone has a recommendation for a small true sine inverter just for the refer I'd appreciate it very much.

Chad
Old 04-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Well I think I found the whirlpool that others have used. It's a wrt316. It's 16cf and all the reviews are great. A couple reviews actually state they are installed in an RV. For my purpose it's more than adequate size. The depth and height are almost perfect. The width is about 5" more narrow than the opening. That should leave me enough room to install a pullout pantry rack for some can goods and such. I may even make a storage rack toward bottom to install the sink covers and still pantry at top.

I will call whirlpool tomorrow to see what they say about modified sine wave inverter. I got a feeling I may have to install a small true sine wave inverter just for it. I remember reading about someone doing that in their coach. If anyone has a recommendation for a small true sine inverter just for the refer I'd appreciate it very much.

Chad
Chad, however much I may think the Samsung RF18 is a challenging installation, particularly in older coaches like my 2000 Dynasty, the entire "Twin Cooling" concept is at least a decade overdue...perhaps TWO decades. Setting fridge and freezer temps TOTALLY independently is a huge advantage in fridge design. Years before I considered owning a motor home, I bought the "big brother" to the RF18 for my S&B home. WONDERFUL FRIDGE!!!! And my opinion is exactly that--an opinion--but I have always liked the bottom freezer design.

Good luck with your installation.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:49 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Chad, however much I may think the Samsung RF18 is a challenging installation, particularly in older coaches like my 2000 Dynasty, the entire "Twin Cooling" concept is at least a decade overdue...perhaps TWO decades. Setting fridge and freezer temps TOTALLY independently is a huge advantage in fridge design. Years before I considered owning a motor home, I bought the "big brother" to the RF18 for my S&B home. WONDERFUL FRIDGE!!!! And my opinion is exactly that--an opinion--but I have always liked the bottom freezer design.

Good luck with your installation.
I agree with Van, the twin cooling design concept is very nice and operates as designed on the Samsung RF18. Glad I went with that refrigerator.

Mike.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Chad
Is the Whirlpool a French door bottom freezer? I have the same issue my Dometic side X side is above the furnace. The width and depth are fine for the RF18 the height the issue. Even lower the floor down as close as possible to the furnace I'm unsure the RF18 will fit until the Domestic is removed.
Thanks,
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Is the Whirlpool a French door bottom freezer? I have the same issue my Dometic side X side is above the furnace. The width and depth are fine for the RF18 the height the issue. Even lower the floor down as close as possible to the furnace I'm unsure the RF18 will fit until the Domestic is removed.
Thanks,
chboone, the whirlpool I'm looking at is what I call a traditional fridge. It has two doors. Top freezer is one door and bottom one door is fridge. It's not a new fancy style like French door or reverse freezer or anything. Just like fridges were many years ago. It is stainless steel or black or white. My norcold is stainless so that's what I'll replace it with. The height of the whirlpool is almost dead on the same as the norcold. I'll have to get my norcold out to see exact opening but it's very close to same. Only difference is its a little narrower than the norcold hole. For me that works great. I have no pantry now and I can add a small pantry for can goods and such. It's on sale right now for around $650 at several places. I think another benefit is the whirlpool has the handles integrated into the door. They do not stick out like most do, which helps keep the aisle clear for more walking space. Hope this helps you.

Chad
Old 04-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
chboone, the whirlpool I'm looking at is what I call a traditional fridge. It has two doors. Top freezer is one door and bottom one door is fridge.
Hi Chad,

As you consider your Norcold replacement, be sure to consider the door swing with slideouts in or out. I know that with my installation, I would NOT have been able to open a single door refrigerator far enough to give useful access while the slideouts were in.

Take care,
Stu

Tags
refrigerator