Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #1

Samsung residential refrigerator

In case anyone may be interested. Lowes hardware has the Samsung rf18 refrigerator that many folks are using for a residential refrigerator swap on sale for $998 stainless steel. From what I've looked this is a very good price. I would really like to install one at this price. Anyone know where to sell a used norcold 1200 that works great with icemaker? That would help offset the cost of the Samsung. I think sale runs through April 19th.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Go for it!!

I understand your desire to make things even out, $$-wise. But in my humble opinion, once you start using the Samsung, you'll not want to foist that old dinosaur on even your worst enemy.

But then, I may be just a bit prejudiced . Best move rv-wise I ever made!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #3

Chad, have you been told that the 18 is slightly larger than the 17, thus posing a problem for installation ?
Frank
Old 04-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdoc View Post
Chad, have you been told that the 18 is slightly larger than the 17, thus posing a problem for installation ?
Frank
Frank, no I haven't heard that it was larger. I thought I had read it would still fit. I rough checked the measurements and thought it was good. It will be very tight on the ceiling but I'm pretty sure it would fit. What specifically is different than the 197 it replaced? Thanks for letting me know.

Chad
Old 04-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Funny, while I was logging in today a Plessers.com add popped up. That frig is $995 no tax and free shipping.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There is a lot of thread on the frig installation. I think on some rigs it's pretty easy to change out, and some it's quite involved. Most people say it will run on a modified sine wave inverter. Battery capacity needs to be addressed, if you dry camp.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I've read many posts from different coach owners on installation. The biggest issue with the install of the Samsung is the height of the opening.

Some coaches need no modification.

Other have a small drawer under their current refrigerator and need to remove and lower the support shelf slightly. They either remove the drawer completely or shorten the drawer.

The biggest issue is if you have a furnace under your refrigerator like I have. I've read posts where people removed the furnace completely to install the Samsung, however, there are several posts where people where successful in removing the support shelf and installing a metal frame lower then the original shelf just above the furnace. The furnace does require a minimum amount of clearance for ventilation a barrier for heat.

This is the main reason why I haven't bitten the bullet on trying to replace my Norcold. We do boondock, sometimes in colder weather and use the furnace. May not be as big of a difference if you don't do that. I have enough solar charging to probably keep my batteries up while boondocking or at least reducing overall generator usage.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,

I'm not familiar with your floor plan, but my frig is in the hallway, not in a slide. I have limited room in front of the frig as my hallway is fixed and not in a slide. I don't have the furnace issue under the frig as you and many do. The old frig is still working fine, so I haven't had to cross this bridge yet, but have done the research.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:08 AM   #9

Chad, this power unit was added to the 18 on top..My guy in San Antonio doesn't like to use the 18 for this reason. He is rec Fisher and Pakel. I prefer Samsung..He can "charge" more using F&P, much more..+ I like Samsung layout better. Just checking whether 18 is posing problems not encountered with previous model.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdoc View Post

Chad, this power unit was added to the 18 on top..My guy in San Antonio doesn't like to use the 18 for this reason. He is rec Fisher and Pakel. I prefer Samsung..He can "charge" more using F&P, much more..+ I like Samsung layout better. Just checking whether 18 is posing problems not encountered with previous model.
Thanks fishdoc. I do remember hearing about the power unit on top. I wonder does it stick up more than the hinges. If not shouldn't be a huge deal. Yes the F&P is better sized but it's almost twice the cost. I really don't need 18cf since I'm not a full timer. The 12cf that the norcold has is adequate. But there are no other I've found that fit reasonably well that are cheaper. I did find I think a whirlpool that is close on all sizes but is 5" narrow. 5" is really too small for any kind of racks or anything so you'd be simply closing the hole up.

I did find a guy that rebuilds these that would give me a couple hundred bucks for the norcold. Every little bit helps.

Chad
Old 04-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The RF18 Samsung has the freezer on the bottom. Is there a replacement for the Norcold 1200 that has the freezer in the top?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Joe and Annette,
Have you ever used a bottom freezer? We have had top, bottom and side by side in motorhomes and prefer a bottom freezer. It holds big stuff better due to its rectangular size. The only down side is the ice access ( bending down) on the smaller less expensive units like the RF18.
Most top freezer refrigerators have single doors, top and bottom, not french doors. That makes for problems when the floor plan of the motor home has a narrow passageway at the frig location. Dimension wise there are several that would perhaps fit.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #13

Post the Nevercold in the classified section of IRV2. Someone who does a lot of boondocking and wants to be able to use propane with the fridge will probably buy it!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a Samsung RF18 installed by a service center that installs about one a week at their facility. They warrantee the installation because Samsung will not void the warranty due to use of a modified sine wave inverter. They gave me the impression that other manufacturers will void the warranty unless you use a full sine wave inverter.

Here's a link that gives accurate dimensions: http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...HFENBSR_F6.pdf

Here's a photo of the top of the RF18 that shows the electronics box on the back, top, center of the refrigerator. It sticks up 2" above the case of the refrigerator.

The service center moved the refrigerator in through the driver's side window. It weighs 253.5 pounds.

We all expected that the a/c outlet for the icemaker would be connected to an inverted circuit. It wasn't.

Take care,
Stu

Tags
refrigerator