Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #1

Question Samsung RF197 install question

Would like to change my Norcold 1200 with Samsung RF197 refrigerator not sure if my 2003 Monaco Diplomat has enough space due the furnace that is below. Is there anyone that has had a Samsung RF197 installed in their 2003 Monaco Diplomat coach
aidachry2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #2

Well here is a fantastic writeup on a 2006 Diplomat. This has become the "default" go to place for installing Samsungs in RVs. See if what Bob had to tackle is similar to your layout.

Also, I hope you have your Samsung on order or in your garage. They are quickly becoming scarce. Apparently Samsung is done with this model.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #3

Bob's write-up is indeed one of the best available. However, I THINK that your coach will have a lower ceiling height than his, and your installation may be a bit more complicated. It is, however, still doable. I am about to tackle the job in a 2000 Dynasty, and it has a lower ceiling height than Bob's. I have seen his installation in person, and it is very well done, but you are likely to have to find a few more inches of vertical height for the installation.

I can tell you that on my coach, there is a furnace below the Norcold. I am fortunate that my furnace is a Suburban. It has only two small openings in the coach wall for intake and exhaust of combustion air. It is also mounted on 2x4's on edge, and can be easily lowered. If you have an Atwood furnace (rectangular access hatch on outside of coach), it would be very difficult to lower your furnace, but the RF197 can still be installed. Diplomat Don's installation (search this forum) dealt with the height problem. Look to see how he did it.

Yes, I just ordered an RF197 in stainless steel. I had originally ordered one in the "platinum" finish, and AJ Madison canceled the order, saying the model was discontinued. I am not sure if the entire RF197 line is being discontinued, or just the platinum finish, but it does appear they are becoming more difficult to find.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36 pulling one Harley
Southeastern NC
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #4

I used the Fisher and Paykel model RF170ADX4. Three door with bottom freezer. Installed it in my 2007 Holiday Rambler with the furnace underneath. My friend and I had the old one out and new one installed in about 4 hours. Runs off the stock inverter with no problems. Very easy with little cutting of the header to allow for the hinges. I can send pics of install if needed.
Terrypts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrypts View Post
I used the Fisher and Paykel model RF170ADX4. Three door with bottom freezer. Installed it in my 2007 Holiday Rambler with the furnace underneath. My friend and I had the old one out and new one installed in about 4 hours. Runs off the stock inverter with no problems. Very easy with little cutting of the header to allow for the hinges. I can send pics of install if needed.
Terry, it might be a good idea to start another thread entitled "Fisher-Paykel Residential Fridge Installation" or something similar. Folks here are looking more and more at different residential fridge installations. I'm sure someone would appreciate seeing photos and details of your installation.

Southeastern NC
Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #6

Being a newbie to the RV world I learned so much from this forum...Thanks to all that replied to my post...unfortunately we will not be able to use the Samsung RF197 do to space limitation, the only way is to remove the furnace unit. Will look at the Fisher Paykel unit
aidachry2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Terry, it might be a good idea to start another thread entitled "Fisher-Paykel Residential Fridge Installation" or something similar. Folks here are looking more and more at different residential fridge installations. I'm sure someone would appreciate seeing photos and details of your installation.

Southeastern NC

Good idea! As the Samsungs become more difficult to find, the alternatives will become more popular. There are plenty of other counter-depth reefers ... especially if you don't care whether they are guaranteed to run on MSW inverters.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidachry2003 View Post
Being a newbie to the RV world I learned so much from this forum...Thanks to all that replied to my post...unfortunately we will not be able to use the Samsung RF197 do to space limitation, the only way is to remove the furnace unit. Will look at the Fisher Paykel unit
Go to the AJMADISON website and select the type of reefer you want, on the next page select "counter depth" and you'll get a bunch of reefers ... sort thru by dimensions. I'm not necessarily recommending AJMADISON (since I haven't made a purchase), but they are probably as good as anybody ... and they have a great website.

Refrigerators and Freezers | AJ Madison

Keep in mind, when measuring for your new reefer, the doors must clear other "stuff" when you open them! For instance, you may prefer a side-by side vs. a french-door. Remember, the doors must open far enough to allow the crisper drawers to be removed.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidachry2003 View Post
I think if you look at the installation of the RF197 by Diplomat Don, it IS doable. Even if you have the Atwood furnace, it is doable. If you have the Suburban furnace, it is VERY doable, even with the low ceiling height. I'm not trying to push you in the RF197 direction. Just pointing out that the installation is not a "bolt-in", but it is possible.

Southeastern NC
Old 08-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:
I think if you look at the installation of the RF197 by Diplomat Don, it IS doable. Even if you have the Atwood furnace, it is doable. If you have the Suburban furnace, it is VERY doable, even with the low ceiling height. I'm not trying to push you in the RF197 direction. Just pointing out that the installation is not a "bolt-in", but it is possible.

Southeastern NC
That may certainly be the case but there is no point in expending a lot of time researching an RF197 install if the RF197 is not available (discontinued with little remaining stock).
Old 08-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Southeastern NC
Van and et al,

Here is a link to Don's installation:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sams...er-159692.html

He is now Dutch-Star-Don.

Think what a nice benefit to the RV community it would be if Samsung came out with a 5 inch shorter version of the RF197.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install