RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #127

Monaco Owners Club
Bob, I don't need to replace my fridge, but appreciate the idea of how you strap it for travel. I bought our unit used, and the second time out, the right fridge door fell off; the bottom of the door extruded plastic frame was split and allowed the hinge pin to fall out. I'm sure it was the result of the door opening during travel. I managed to repair the door, but have ever since been paranoid about the door opening during travel. I like your solution and very much appreciate the time and effort you took to pass this info along. I'm going to strap mine down using the same technique.
Thanks!
late starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #128

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by late starter View Post
Bob, I don't need to replace my fridge, but appreciate the idea of how you strap it for travel. I bought our unit used, and the second time out, the right fridge door fell off; the bottom of the door extruded plastic frame was split and allowed the hinge pin to fall out. I'm sure it was the result of the door opening during travel. I managed to repair the door, but have ever since been paranoid about the door opening during travel. I like your solution and very much appreciate the time and effort you took to pass this info along. I'm going to strap mine down using the same technique.
Thanks!
You are quite welcome Roger. Glad to help.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #129

Recieved my rf-197 from Lowes today (5/7/12), I had ordered it on 3/4/12 so I was begining to wonder if I was really gonna get it. Lowes delivery service disassembled/assembled/wrangled it in for me with no upfront discussion about tip (of course I did tip). Total price was 1199. includes 7% tax, not that I guess that matters if they can't order it anymore. Thanks to everyone that has posted on how to go about installing. Now my big dilema is do I finish changing the shocks or start a new project.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #130

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Finish the shocks so you won't be distracted with too many projects. Take one last look at the techniques that others have used and maybe later show us some new ideas that you come up with.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #131

taking off the cooling unit - it appears one has to cut a pipe leading into the inside cooling fins. If so; what's in the cooling unit: glycol? or some type of gas or what? I,too, have the Norcold laying on its side inside the coach and want to take out thru the exit door but removing the cooling postion sure would be a plus. thanks
curtismb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #132

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtismb View Post
taking off the cooling unit - it appears one has to cut a pipe leading into the inside cooling fins. If so; what's in the cooling unit: glycol? or some type of gas or what? I,too, have the Norcold laying on its side inside the coach and want to take out thru the exit door but removing the cooling postion sure would be a plus. thanks
The cooling unit is filled with ammonia. You should be able to remove it without cutting since it can be replaced in one piece. Try a search for Amish cooling unit here Someone posted a how to video on installation that might help.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #133

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtismb View Post
You do not have to cut any of the coolant piping and the cooling uint is removed as a single unit.

Bob
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #134
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
curtismb....Have you tried taking it out with the cooling unit on? I used photos that Drifter posted to get mine out. I unscrewed the door arm from the top of the door frame and swung the door wide open. I have a manual door awning so I removed the front arm. This gave me a 26" opening. I removed the passenger's seat and used the cardboard from the refer box to protect the dash. Two make it easy, we used three people to lift the Norcold out the front door. The Samsung was much lighter.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #135

Samsung install

Hi Bob.
I am brand new to this site.
I found your write up on installing the fridge to be first class job. I have a Samsung coming on the 10th.
Questions.
Where did you buy the travelling straps from.
Was your cabinet depth deeper than 24ins, also did you leave the back panel off the fridge for more venting and did you leave the 2ins or less at the back?
Den.
routemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #136

Ok Bob found the Fender locks see what you did there.
Den.
routemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #137

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by routemaster View Post
Ok Bob found the Fender locks see what you did there.
Den.
Den,

I did leave the bottom panel off the Samsung and it has worked great for 2 years now. If you don't want to leave the panel off then just leave the screws out on the left end as you face the Samsung from the rear. That way you should be able to remove the panel from the outside vent.

Yes I have about 2 inches of space between the rear of the Samsung and the outside wall.j

Bob
Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
To get the old Norcold out, first take off all the doors and hinges and remove the bins. Remove the black plastic buttons covering the screws on the black trim at the top and bottom. See photos. Remove all the screws.
Next go outside and disconnect all the wires, gas line, water line, and unplug the AC cords from the outlets. Be sure to locate and turn off the ice maker water supply before you start. Locate and remove the screws attaching the sheet metal bottom to the wood floor.

Construct a dolly that is the correct height to allow the lip at the bottom of the Norcold to slide out on the dolly top surface. From the outside vent push on the back of the Norcold to extend it about an inch into the motorhome. Back inside the coach slide the dolly under the lip and pull the Norcold out onto the dolly. After the Norcold is on the dolly carefully roll it out to where there is enough room to work. Slide the Norcold until the lip drops down on the front edge of the dolly.

At this point you will need help. Remove the passenger seat and hand rails. Unscrew the door retaining arm at the top of the door frame and move the door all the way open. Using a bungee cord secure the door to the coach mirror. It is not necessary to remove the cooling unit from the Norcold but does make the job of getting it out the door easier. Because I did not plan to use the Norcold or want to be a party to someone else’s motorhome fire, I took the cooling unit off. The cooling unit weighs about 70 pounds and it takes less effort to move the Norcold in two pieces.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1028184...kingOutNorcold
Hi Bob, It seems only a few weeks since we talked about this very issue back in WY... Sure enough it finally happened to me. Walked into the coach today and the smell of ammonia is unbelievably strong... started to take the unit apart following your instructions and pictures. Hopefully the NH3 smell will not do me in before I get it all the way out.

... back to the "project"... I hope you have the time for some phone consulting. I'll probably need your advice.

.. Rick Pasetto
Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #139

Samsung

I know it is not a motor home but I installed the Samsung in my Everest just waiting to get some trim to go around it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	43057  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #140
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I thought I would post a photo of my door lock again. I know my prototype photo didn't go over well. This is my finished product. It's not necessarily pretty, but works great. I already made a second one for my sister.

It locks all three doors with one piece. While travelling, you can slide it right or left and open either door. If you want ice, you need to open one door and slide it off. When parked, it goes in a cabinet. Has worked GREAT on two trips now. It doesn't interfere with the seals and has felt on the back so it doesn't scratch the door.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote