Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #155

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Lloyd, it's very possible that neither receptacle is run through the inverter. You will need to find the run going to the refer plug and then reroute it to connect to a circuit that runs through the inverter. That may entail moving other circuits to balance the load.
Deen,
Not sure if that is in my comfort zone.
I even got in trouble doing my slide topper. I removed the wrong screw and the spring unwound with a vengeance! Still trying to figure that project out.
Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #156

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lloyd:
Tomorrow morning (Friday) I have an HVAC repairman coming over to look at the stick house air con that quit last week. Yep, quit working during about the hottest week of the year and now it's raining!
After that I can give you a hand. It's real possible that it won't entail much, but then again.....
Cindy went back to work this morning and I know she'll be really tired for a while.

Deen
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydu View Post
There are 2 receptacles in the rear of the enclosure, one with a refrigerator label stuck to it. Which one is the inverter line? I disconnected my 110V shore power, turned the inverter on but detected NO power from any receptacle. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Electron challenged.
My HR Endeavor has NO reefer receptacle that goes back to the inverter. Shore power and genset only. I think the assumption was that the reefer would be on propane. I don't remember if the water heater has a line to the inverter ... it's about 2 feet from the reefer.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #158

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Lloyd:
Tomorrow morning (Friday) I have an HVAC repairman coming over to look at the stick house air con that quit last week. Yep, quit working during about the hottest week of the year and now it's raining!
After that I can give you a hand. It's real possible that it won't entail much, but then again.....
Cindy went back to work this morning and I know she'll be really tired for a while.

Deen
Glad to hear Cindy is well enough to go back to work. I will be at the rig (@ a friend's house in Ridgefield, WA) for most of the day. I welcome your advice. Call me when you can come out and I will give you the address.
Aloha!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #159

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Glad to hear Cindy is well enough to go back to work. I will be at the rig (@ a friend's house in Ridgefield, WA) for most of the day. I welcome your advice. Call me when you can come out and I will give you the address.
Aloha!
OK, I'll get my GPS out to find it!!
Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #160
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Lloydu.......You say there are two receptacles.....are you talking two outlets in one box or two boxes with two outlets in each box. If you have two boxes, one should be the inverter. If you only have one box, you probably don't have an inverter line wired their.

I know Mr_D is going to give you some help, but here is my suggestion. You should have inverter power to your microwave. I recommend to most people to never run their microwave on the inverter unless you have a powerful pure sine wave with a lot of batteries. I would find the wiring to the inverter, switch it to a shore power/generator circuit and use the microwave inverter circuit to power the refer. Mr_D should be able to help you out with that.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #161

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Lloydu.......You say there are two receptacles.....are you talking two outlets in one box or two boxes with two outlets in each box. If you have two boxes, one should be the inverter. If you only have one box, you probably don't have an inverter line wired their.

I know Mr_D is going to give you some help, but here is my suggestion. You should have inverter power to your microwave. I recommend to most people to never run their microwave on the inverter unless you have a powerful pure sine wave with a lot of batteries. I would find the wiring to the inverter, switch it to a shore power/generator circuit and use the microwave inverter circuit to power the refer. Mr_D should be able to help you out with that.
Guess I'll find out what we can do tomorrow if the repairman gets done with our air con early enough.
We have a Advantium 120 and it is wired to the inverter, a 2000 watt MSW with 4 GC-2 batteries. The only time we run it off the inverter is to warm up a cup of water for tea, otherwise we start the gen if not on shore power. I also know the MSW inverter is not a good one for an Advantium, Newmar should have put in a SW inverter.
Will have to see what inverter/batteries Lloyd has and ask how they use theirs.

Your suggestion is a good one BTW!
Old 09-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #162
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know the MSW inverters on hard on the Sharp microwaves which is what Monaco primarily used. They moan when you run them on the inverter. The Sharp microwaves are notorious for running 59 seconds and stopping. It's an easy fix, but I believe the MSW inverters cause this problem.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #163

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post

Don
There are 2 boxes that look like they have 2 outlets @ but one of them is a dummy in @ box. One box had a refrigerator label on it so I assumed that was the one connected to the inverter, thus the one we attached a lighted switch to.
Thanks for your help.
Lloyd
Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #164

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
My HR Endeavor has NO reefer receptacle that goes back to the inverter. Shore power and genset only. I think the assumption was that the reefer would be on propane. I don't remember if the water heater has a line to the inverter ... it's about 2 feet from the reefer.
Our Winnebago was like that. Only one plug for the fridge and not on the inverter. Right on the side of the cabinet the fridge is in there was a GFCI outlet with the bath wired off it. Why you would need the inverter in the bath I don't know. Seems like a hair dryer would drain the batteries quickly. I simply swapped the feeds making the fridge on the inverter and the GFCI not.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Our Winnebago was like that. Only one plug for the fridge and not on the inverter. Right on the side of the cabinet the fridge is in there was a GFCI outlet with the bath wired off it. Why you would need the inverter in the bath I don't know. Seems like a hair dryer would drain the batteries quickly. I simply swapped the feeds making the fridge on the inverter and the GFCI not.
Some more thoughts:
A: inverter must be inverting to detect it. If you are not sure it is on, better to test with a light bulb than a multimeter. (Learned that from the inverter service guy) It needs a "load" to come out of standby. There are better ways to cook.

B:running hair driers and the microwave for more than a cup of coffee is crazy. Regardless of what kind of inverter. Remember, 1000watts is 100amps at 12VDC. Only 10amps at 120vac (approximate). Hair drier and microwave together will likely test that vaunted overload protection in the inverter. OR fry it. BTW: make sure it is working right, CLEAN, and the cooling fan works and has access to fresh air!

C: not all MSW inverters are created equal. Some make a better approximation of a sine wave than others. Also true for SW inverters. Not to mention all the other specs. Fault detection, minimum operating volts, etc.

D: don't be afraid to change things. I'm convinced that a lot of things I have found are set up for someone to sell the coach. Not to live in it.

E: in electrical terms, no passthrough or switchover is instant. How fast is the switch? Ramp up time for the inverter? (Specs?) In practical terms, that may or may not be an issue. "Fast enough" is good enough. The lesson: You get what you pay for!

F: Extra credit. Borrow an oscilloscope and compare the waveform of your inverter, Your generator, and shore power. (Dont blame me for the headache)

G: SAFETY! Don't cheat yourself. What I have found under the "skin" of my motorhome has scared me. Loose wire nuts, unboxed outlets, wire next to gas lines, etc. If its not right when you find it, leave it right when you leave it.
Omniverous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #166

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Don
There are 2 boxes that look like they have 2 outlets @ but one of them is a dummy in @ box. One box had a refrigerator label on it so I assumed that was the one connected to the inverter, thus the one we attached a lighted switch to.
Thanks for your help.
Lloyd
Best thing would be to get a wiring diagram from the manufacturer. That should tell you where the inverter lines are and, what's the best/ feasible way to run inverter power to the refrig cabinet.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #167

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniverous View Post
Some more thoughts:
A: inverter must be inverting to detect it. If you are not sure it is on, better to test with a light bulb than a multimeter. (Learned that from the inverter service guy) It needs a "load" to come out of standby. There are better ways to cook.
I used a light bulb to find the outlets on the inverter purely by accident. Since I was using a lead light to see what I was doing the easy way was to unplug the MH, turn on the inverter then do an Easter egg hunt to find the outlets. Once in a while even the blind squirrel gets a nut.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #168

A question for Don (Dutch Start Don)

It has been almost a year now. Are you still satisfied with your lock design? Have you made modifications or any other changes to the design? I like your idea here, but would like to know if it is still working for you.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob&AnnaMari is offline   Reply With Quote