RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #169
Senior Member
 
nodine's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
A question for Don (Dutch Start Don)

It has been almost a year now. Are you still satisfied with your lock design? Have you made modifications or any other changes to the design? I like your idea here, but would like to know if it is still working for you.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

Dutch Star Don is the former Diplomat Don. He changed his screen name to Dutch Star Don because he traded in his Diplomat for a Dutch Star. He installed the Samsung in the Diplomat. You could PM him and ask how the latch worked out while they were still in the Diplomat. Don is a very nice and helpful fellow and will be glad to answer your questions. He may or may not see this thread since he hangs out with the Newmar group now.

Bob
__________________
Bob and Pam
2006 Diplomat 40PDQ
2020 Chevy Sonic
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #170
Senior Member
 
Bob&AnnaMari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 950
Thanks Bob. Will do the PM.
Bob&AnnaMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #171
Senior Member
 
Bob&AnnaMari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 950
I should have followed up on this earlier.

I did PM "Dutch Star Don" about his Samsung lock and he said that on his last trip (just before trading in his Diplomat) he had a problem when they loaded the freezer and the weight pushed all three doors open. He did not have time to trouble shoot the problem since he was ready to trade in his Diplomat on the Dutch Star. So, I think I will follow the straps mentioned in this original post.

As an aside, I asked Don if changing the refer to a residential unit had any impact on resale. He said he didn't think so since his Diplomat sold within a week after he traded it in. That sounds good to me.

My Norcold is in the garage and the refer floor and drawer frames in the RV are out. Now the rebuilding begins. I would have never had the courage to make this change without this thread. I am excited!
__________________
2003 Beaver Patriot
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Bob&AnnaMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #172
Senior Member
 
nodine's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
I should have followed up on this earlier.

I did PM "Dutch Star Don" about his Samsung lock and he said that on his last trip (just before trading in his Diplomat) he had a problem when they loaded the freezer and the weight pushed all three doors open. He did not have time to trouble shoot the problem since he was ready to trade in his Diplomat on the Dutch Star. So, I think I will follow the straps mentioned in this original post.

As an aside, I asked Don if changing the refer to a residential unit had any impact on resale. He said he didn't think so since his Diplomat sold within a week after he traded it in. That sounds good to me.

My Norcold is in the garage and the refer floor and drawer frames in the RV are out. Now the rebuilding begins. I would have never had the courage to make this change without this thread. I am excited!
Good luck Bob, sounds like you are well on your way.

Bob
__________________
Bob and Pam
2006 Diplomat 40PDQ
2020 Chevy Sonic
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #173
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Apex, NCc
Posts: 7
I did my Samsung about a year ago. LOVE IT!!! Gets cold fast, Stays cold. Almost too good to be true. I run it on the inverter on the road with no problems. If it is a long drive, Ill run the generator and charge up the batts one in a while for good measure. Still using a couple of bungie cords to hold it closed on the road because I am afraid to drill on the door facings. Not that inconvienient to me. Mine is in a Damon Escaper.
Omniverous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #174
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 15
We just got back from our first trip after installing our Samsung. I followed nodine's recipe almost to the letter, and all went well. The wife loves the new refer after dealing with the Nocold for a while.

The tip that saved me the most time was using a floor jack to get the old floor out. I would have hacked it up. Because of this idea, I was able to re-use the floor at the lower level. Better fit than I would have gotten, and much less work.

One thing I did do was reach in through the roof vent and put some lumber between the back of the Samsung and the roof of the compartment. I then forced some wedges in to make it as tight as I could. Then I put construction adhesive all over everything up there so it couldn't move. It's now rock solid. I still put the straps across the front for a belt and suspenders kind of thing.

Thanks nodine!
__________________
Eric and Sandi
2006 Mountain Aire 4309
SailEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:15 AM   #175
Senior Member
 
nodine's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailEric View Post
We just got back from our first trip after installing our Samsung. I followed nodine's recipe almost to the letter, and all went well. The wife loves the new refer after dealing with the Nocold for a while.

The tip that saved me the most time was using a floor jack to get the old floor out. I would have hacked it up. Because of this idea, I was able to re-use the floor at the lower level. Better fit than I would have gotten, and much less work.

One thing I did do was reach in through the roof vent and put some lumber between the back of the Samsung and the roof of the compartment. I then forced some wedges in to make it as tight as I could. Then I put construction adhesive all over everything up there so it couldn't move. It's now rock solid. I still put the straps across the front for a belt and suspenders kind of thing.

Thanks nodine!
Eric and Sandi,

I was not aware that non-Monaco owners are assisted by the information in this thread. Glad to be of help and congratulations on your new Samsung.

Bob
__________________
Bob and Pam
2006 Diplomat 40PDQ
2020 Chevy Sonic
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #176
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Apex, NCc
Posts: 7
Has anyone tinkered with dedicated inverters. I am kind of battery conscious and would like to put the Samsung on its own inverter and battery with an automatic switchover kind of arrangement. Im told that the Samsung is MSW certified and only need about 300 watts run power and about 1100 watts for a defrost burst. Small dedicated inverters are cheap and efficient. I have dedicated inverters for the front and rear tvs already and they work great. That would let me run the reefer on the road almost indefinitely. IDEAS?
Omniverous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #177
Senior Member
 
HD4Mark's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Marathon, Florida
Posts: 2,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniverous View Post
Has anyone tinkered with dedicated inverters. I am kind of battery conscious and would like to put the Samsung on its own inverter and battery with an automatic switchover kind of arrangement. Im told that the Samsung is MSW certified and only need about 300 watts run power and about 1100 watts for a defrost burst. Small dedicated inverters are cheap and efficient. I have dedicated inverters for the front and rear tvs already and they work great. That would let me run the reefer on the road almost indefinitely. IDEAS?
I think it would work with an automatic transfer switch using shore power for the first choice then your dedicated inverter second. A couple of batteries would be nice with a solenoid to isolate the other batteries on board so the inverter could not draw on them when the engine is not running. All of this stuff could start to make it more expensive that it initially looks.
__________________
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #178
Senior Member
 
ivan_drago's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 190
This is extremely insightful reading. This "old" post is still relevant today, as the RF18 is the way to go now and most of us have older coaches. I'm in the process of changing my 1200 out for a Samsung RF18 as I too have the stock Magnum 2000W MSW inverter. I do dry camp (boondock) as much as I stay at a campground, but I don't mind running my ONAN.

My 2005 Knight has the furnace below the norcold. Measure twice, Cut once.
__________________
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ
2006 Duramax toad
2017 Yukon XL 4x4
ivan_drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #179
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 18
Smile

Just changed out the never cold for a Samsung RF18 following post almost to the letter. Took my son and I two very long days, but since we are on the road, I opted to do some of the "cleanup/detail" work when we get home. Nodine did a great job in detailing most of what needs to be done and how to do it. Particularly for Monaco 40's.

The people on this forum never cease to amaze me as to their knowledge and willingness to share. A GREAT bunch of people.

We tried to buy the Sam from Home Depot, but they screwed up the order irrepairably. They just could not get the delivery instructions correct.
Went to a local appliance dealer who had it in stock for 50.00 more than Home Depot's price. Even better, they could deliver the next day with no problem. Message here is, try the local appliance dealer if you're thinking about the swap. We need to keep these folks in business and every little bit helps.

Again, MANY, MANY thanks to Nodine and the other contributers on this forum.

Gary & Deb
__________________
Gary & Deb & Double Beagles
06 HR Ambassador PDQ 40, ISC 330, Blue OX, 2000 Bug Toad
Bristol30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #180
Senior Member
 
jeepsrule's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 371
I've purchased the new model RF18HFENBSP which is the 33" wide counter depth French door model like yours. I'm contemplating removing the furnace and putting the fridge right on the floor to lower the fridge height. Do you foresee any problems with this?
__________________
2005 Diplomat 40PDQ, Jeep Cherokee Toad
Randy, Pam & Rascal (150lb Rottweiler in a Jack Russell Terrier body)
jeepsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #181
Senior Member
 
jeepsrule's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 371
Diplomat Don used a dedicated inverter for his fridge replacement, I believe. Search for his posts on the Samsung RF197.

I understand that Don's new handle is DutchStar Don
__________________
2005 Diplomat 40PDQ, Jeep Cherokee Toad
Randy, Pam & Rascal (150lb Rottweiler in a Jack Russell Terrier body)
jeepsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #182
Senior Member
 
zmotorsports's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrule View Post
I've purchased the new model RF18HFENBSP which is the 33" wide counter depth French door model like yours. I'm contemplating removing the furnace and putting the fridge right on the floor to lower the fridge height. Do you foresee any problems with this?
Just out of curiosity, if you remove the furnace where are you thinking of placing it? Is there a compartment next to the refrigerator hole that you would install it?

Mike.
__________________
Mike & Chrystal/ 2011 Jeep JKUR
FMCA # F315002
Our 2003 Monaco Dynasty Mods/Repairs Thread
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sani-Con project for 2006 Diplomat nodine Monaco Owner's Forum 13 07-15-2008 07:47 PM
Two questions about my 2006 Diplomat? nodine Monaco Owner's Forum 8 12-23-2007 02:36 PM
2006 Adventurer tranny question Batwings Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 4 03-08-2006 04:13 AM
New Winnebago Lineup for 2006!! FrontRangeRVer Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 1 08-03-2005 04:36 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.