RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2015, 05:04 AM   #183

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Just out of curiosity, if you remove the furnace where are you thinking of placing it? Is there a compartment next to the refrigerator hole that you would install it?

Mike.
Mike, not Randy but maybe I can shed some light on the subject. Randy's 2005 Diplomat most likely has two propane furnaces and he plans to just do without the one under the frig. A few have installed the Samsung by removing the furnace. The comments I have seen rationalize the decision by noting they seldom camp in cold weather or they snowbird to warmer climates. We know a few folks that prefer to use portable electric heaters and/or the heat pumps when heat is necessary. Monaco increased the height of the ceiling on the Diplomat in 2006 making it possible to lower the frig floor closer to the furnace and install the Samsung leaving the furnace in place. On Diplomats prior to 2006, leaving the furnace in place took some effort.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #184

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Mike, not Randy but maybe I can shed some light on the subject. Randy's 2005 Diplomat most likely has two propane furnaces and he plans to just do without the one under the frig. A few have installed the Samsung by removing the furnace. The comments I have seen rationalize the decision by noting they seldom camp in cold weather or they snowbird to warmer climates. We know a few folks that prefer to use portable electric heaters and/or the heat pumps when heat is necessary. Monaco increased the height of the ceiling on the Diplomat in 2006 making it possible to lower the frig floor closer to the furnace and install the Samsung leaving the furnace in place. On Diplomats prior to 2006, leaving the furnace in place took some effort.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I was curious about that. I have Aqua-Hot in ours so I don't have the furnace to contend with but I was curious about the comment concerning removing the furnace.

I pulled my Norcold out of our Dynasty today. Our Samsung RF18 is due to arrive in a couple of days. My only concern is the drain and vent pipe from the shower runs along the back of the refrigerator compartment. I think I can shift the fridge to the front an extra .5"-.75" and miss it. We were going to wait until next year to do it but over the past couple of trips with the refrigerator not being what it once was I made the executive decision to do it before our next trip in two weeks. Wife is excited to have a bit more space.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:13 AM   #185

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Bob, I was curious about that. I have Aqua-Hot in ours so I don't have the furnace to contend with but I was curious about the comment concerning removing the furnace.

I pulled my Norcold out of our Dynasty today. Our Samsung RF18 is due to arrive in a couple of days. My only concern is the drain and vent pipe from the shower runs along the back of the refrigerator compartment. I think I can shift the fridge to the front an extra .5"-.75" and miss it. We were going to wait until next year to do it but over the past couple of trips with the refrigerator not being what it once was I made the executive decision to do it before our next trip in two weeks. Wife is excited to have a bit more space.

Mike.
Mike,

Your wife will think you are a genius, and of courses you are

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #186

Quote:

Mike.
Mike,
When I put my RF197 in I spaced the back of the frig 2" away from the inside back wall of the coach (03 Dyn Chancellor) in part due to a maze of wiring and other stuff I can't even remember. You can see the whole thing in the thread I posted. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/yet-...nt-170536.html).

I suggest reading through Bob N's install posting as I followed it closely for my install. Then take a look at what I did since my cabinetry setup is likely closer to yours. If anything you should have more space with a triple slide. Let me know if you have questions.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #187

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
Mike,
When I put my RF197 in I spaced the back of the frig 2" away from the inside back wall of the coach (03 Dyn Chancellor) in part due to a maze of wiring and other stuff I can't even remember. You can see the whole thing in the thread I posted. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/yet-...nt-170536.html).

I suggest reading through Bob N's install posting as I followed it closely for my install. Then take a look at what I did since my cabinetry setup is likely closer to yours. If anything you should have more space with a triple slide. Let me know if you have questions.
Thanks Rick, I appreciate that.

As far as depth into the cabinet I think I should be fine with the 24" depth from the Norcold to place my Samsung. The wiring is going up the wall between the shower and the refrigerator which is actuall the wall at the rear of the coach. I should have approx. 3.5" from the outside wall of the coach to the back of the new fridge. Unfortnutaely the shower drain and vent pipe also occupies the space between the shower and the fridge as well as up the exterior wall.

I think by shifting the refrigerator towards the front of the coach, right if looking at the fridge opening I should barely have enough to clear the drain pipe and not have to do anything with it.

Mike.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #188

Hey Guys.
What inverter are you using for the fridge?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by routemaster View Post
Hey Guys.
I use the stock Trace Inverter on my 03 Dynasty for the fridge (2kW I think). The Samsung RF197 is quite efficient power wise.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #190

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Guys.
I have a 2.5kW in my coach and it should be more than adequate for the small amount of power that the Samsung RF18 draws.

I haven't decided whether or not I am going to add a couple more batteries or not. I don't think it will be necessary but I am going to finish out the season and then make a decision whether or not next spring when I replace my house batteries.

Mike.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #191

Quote:
I have a 2.5kW in my coach and it should be more than adequate for the small amount of power that the Samsung RF18 draws.

I haven't decided whether or not I am going to add a couple more batteries or not. I don't think it will be necessary but I am going to finish out the season and then make a decision whether or not next spring when I replace my house batteries.

Mike.
When I replaced my house batteries, I went from the Golf-cart size up to taller ones with a slightly bigger footprint. If your coach is like mine, the Chassis batteries are behind the engine so there's adequate room for taller batteries in the battery bay.

Mods to the tray to accommodate the larger footprint were not difficult. The golf cart size batteries have a footprint of 10 1/4" x 7 1/8". The "305" size I used have a 11 7/8" x 7 1/8" footprint so I needed to make the tray a little deeper. Battery height went up 3 3/8" from 11 1/4" to 14 5/8". I used the US 305 with 300 AH capacity. Maybe next time I'll go to L16's with same footprint and another 2 1/8" if I have the clearance; that'll bring me up to 380 AH batts.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #192

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
When I replaced my house batteries, I went from the Golf-cart size up to taller ones with a slightly bigger footprint. If your coach is like mine, the Chassis batteries are behind the engine so there's adequate room for taller batteries in the battery bay.

Mods to the tray to accommodate the larger footprint were not difficult. The golf cart size batteries have a footprint of 10 1/4" x 7 1/8". The "305" size I used have a 11 7/8" x 7 1/8" footprint so I needed to make the tray a little deeper. Battery height went up 3 3/8" from 11 1/4" to 14 5/8". I used the US 305 with 300 AH capacity. Maybe next time I'll go to L16's with same footprint and another 2 1/8" if I have the clearance; that'll bring me up to 380 AH batts.
Are you talking 300AH's per two 6-volt battery? That should give a total of 600 amp hours per total bank of four batteries. That would be awesome. The batteries I am currently using are 227 amp hours per 6-volt battery, giving me a total right around 450AH's for my house battery bank. By adding two additional 6-volt batteries of the same size I have now was going to net me around 680AH's but if I could get to around 600-ish and only still have four batteries that would be great. Even if I had to slightly modify my existing tray that would be no big deal. I have plenty of height in my battery compartment because I was thinking of building another smaller tray to hold two above the other four.

Mike.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #193

Hey guys.
I want to go and buy a inverter for my 197 what one should I buy? I would like to dedicate it just for the fridge.
Thanks Den.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #194

Quote:
Are you talking 300AH's per two 6-volt battery? That should give a total of 600 amp hours per total bank of four batteries. That would be awesome. The batteries I am currently using are 227 amp hours per 6-volt battery, giving me a total right around 450AH's for my house battery bank. By adding two additional 6-volt batteries of the same size I have now was going to net me around 680AH's but if I could get to around 600-ish and only still have four batteries that would be great. Even if I had to slightly modify my existing tray that would be no big deal. I have plenty of height in my battery compartment because I was thinking of building another smaller tray to hold two above the other four.

Mike.
Mike, Last time I bought US Battery US305's I looked up the rating; it's 310AH, so the four battery series parallel combo would be 620AH. (see U.S. Battery | Leader in Deep Cycle Batteries | 6-Volt Batteries | U.S. Battery). Next go round I think I'll go for their L16 at 385 AH per battery for total of 770 from the combo.

If your tray is like mine it is bolted to rails in the compartment and can be moved about 1 1/2" outward and still clear the door closing. I did that, then bent the rear edge of the tray flat and had a small piece of angle iron welded to extend the depth. Tray is plenty wide for the new footprint; you just have to remove the angles at sides of the batteries.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #195

Quote:
Hey guys.
I want to go and buy a inverter for my 197 what one should I buy? I would like to dedicate it just for the fridge.
Thanks Den.
I can't recommend a brand but make sure you size it for anticipated kW loads and install battery bank sized to handle current draw. What else beside the refrig, are you planning to run on AC?... TV? DVR? Computer, etc... The rule of thumb is every 1 amp at 120vac will require 10 amp at 12vDC from the batteries; and then inverters have parasitic draw, e.g. no load current. Also, does your trailer have a genset? You'll need something to charge batteries; genset or solar panel array.

If you only want the inverter to power the refrig, I recall one owner who installed an RF 197 in his coach, put in a dedicated inverter. I don't know which thread, which brand MH he has however I do recall it mentioned some time ago. You may be able to find out by some searching here.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #196

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Mike, Last time I bought US Battery US305's I looked up the rating; it's 310AH, so the four battery series parallel combo would be 620AH. (see U.S. Battery | Leader in Deep Cycle Batteries | 6-Volt Batteries | U.S. Battery). Next go round I think I'll go for their L16 at 385 AH per battery for total of 770 from the combo.

If your tray is like mine it is bolted to rails in the compartment and can be moved about 1 1/2" outward and still clear the door closing. I did that, then bent the rear edge of the tray flat and had a small piece of angle iron welded to extend the depth. Tray is plenty wide for the new footprint; you just have to remove the angles at sides of the batteries.
Thanks for the info Rick. Next spring when the time comes to order batteries I will have a better idea of my usage and will possibly look into those if I feel they are needed.

Mike.