RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #197

Monaco Owners Club
What I just replaced my factory, previous owner abused, L16's with. I have a residential fridge from the factory and also have 3 225W high efficiency solar panels on the roof.
870 Amp Hour total...I have 4 (at 435 AH each) WOW they are heavy and no roll out tray at 500 LBS total.

L16H-AC | Trojan Battery Company

I was able to find them for $311 Each from a large golf cart battery dealer.

NICE work Mike !
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #198

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
What I just replaced my factory, previous owner abused, L16's with. I have a residential fridge from the factory and also have 3 225W high efficiency solar panels on the roof.
870 Amp Hour total...I have 4 (at 435 AH each) WOW they are heavy and no roll out tray at 500 LBS total.

L16H-AC | Trojan Battery Company

I was able to find them for $311 Each from a large golf cart battery dealer.

NICE work Mike !
Thanks Craig, I appreciate that.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #199

Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by routemaster View Post
Hey Guys.
What inverter are you using for the fridge?
I went high tech. Coach inverter and shore power/AC when parked and I have a 1200 watt Kreiger inverter that runs off of the engine batteries when driving. Switches over to coach when I shut down the engine. That keeps the two elect. systems isolated and doesn't drain the coach batts when driving. The RF197 is not picky nor power hungry.
Omniverous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #200

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniverous View Post
I went high tech. Coach inverter and shore power/AC when parked and I have a 1200 watt Kreiger inverter that runs off of the engine batteries when driving. Switches over to coach when I shut down the engine. That keeps the two elect. systems isolated and doesn't drain the coach batts when driving. The RF197 is not picky nor power hungry.
If you have an isolator or charge relay your house batteries should also be charging (or being maintained rather) while driving down the road along with your chassis batteries. So as your inverter is supplying the small amount of power to your refrigerator from your house batteries, your alternator is replenishing that power to the house bank at the same time.

Most modern RV's that I have worked on over the past couple of decades have a charging feature for the house batteries as well as the chassis batteries fed from the engine's alternator.

Now charging the chassis batteries from shore power is a different scenario as this is not as common from manufacturers. Although easily remedied.

Mike.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #201

Monaco Owners Club
Not to hijack the thread but here is a picture of our new Samsung in its new home.

I believe all that is left to do is a trim down the left side and the bottom trim along with the kick panel on the fridge. Oh, and a major cleaning.

I have many more detailed pictures in my coach mod/repair thread if anyone is interested.

Mike.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #202

@zmotorsports, Looks great, Mike. Great job on the install! I looked thru your 'mods' thread; you had it tougher than I, mainly because of the drain/vent pipe and the wiring on the floor for which you had to make a raised platform. (I was able to move my wiring sufficiently out of the way since none were run thru the floor's middle.)

You may want to consider a way to keep the doors securely closed when going down the road. You may have run across some of these methods in the various threads on this already. However, it's not recommended to drill into the doors or cabinet of this model because of some lines running close to the surface.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #203

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
@zmotorsports, Looks great, Mike. Great job on the install! I looked thru your 'mods' thread; you had it tougher than I, mainly because of the drain/vent pipe and the wiring on the floor for which you had to make a raised platform. (I was able to move my wiring sufficiently out of the way since none were run thru the floor's middle.)

You may want to consider a way to keep the doors securely closed when going down the road. You may have run across some of these methods in the various threads on this already. However, it's not recommended to drill into the doors or cabinet of this model because of some lines running close to the surface.
Thanks Rick. Yep, door latch/latches are on the agenda. I just haven't gotten that far yet. Also on the agenda are some internal restraints to hold items in place while bouncing down the road.

If I don't have time before the next trip to fabricate a latch system I will simply use some velcro straps temporarily.

Mike.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #204

I just did the Samsung 18 install a few weeks ago, the freezer door does not open when traveling, a velcro strap keeps the two upper doors closed, as far as inside the shelf liner material At Walmart, its a perforated thin foam material, line the shelves with it, nothing moves
RonD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Thanks Rick. Yep, door latch/latches are on the agenda. I just haven't gotten that far yet. Also on the agenda are some internal restraints to hold items in place while bouncing down the road.

If I don't have time before the next trip to fabricate a latch system I will simply use some velcro straps temporarily.

Mike.

I used a different approach than straps. There's an oven door safety latch available from Home depot and others which'll hold doors positively shut. It's steel (covered in plastic) so it's a bit sturdier than those plastic RV refrigerator locks.

My wife put in some spring-type curtain rods to hold stuff; they can be positioned wherever needed. Keeping the fridge filled with food helps make sure nothing moves. I prefer the latter.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #206

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I used a different approach than straps. There's an oven door safety latch available from Home depot and others which'll hold doors positively shut. It's steel (covered in plastic) so it's a bit sturdier than those plastic RV refrigerator locks.

My wife put in some spring-type curtain rods to hold stuff; they can be positioned wherever needed. Keeping the fridge filled with food helps make sure nothing moves. I prefer the latter.
Rick, if you don't mind could you shoot me a picture of the oven door latch that you used and/or a part #?

I am going to fabricate some spring rods but I am going to follow Van's lead and use some .5" aluminum rod and Delrin which will lock into some aluminum strips along the inside of the fridge.

I finished up the installation and all of the trim tonight so tomorrow I think I am going to start on the retainer rods.

Mike.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:46 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Rick, if you don't mind could you shoot me a picture of the oven door latch that you used and/or a part #?

I am going to fabricate some spring rods but I am going to follow Van's lead and use some .5" aluminum rod and Delrin which will lock into some aluminum strips along the inside of the fridge.

I finished up the installation and all of the trim tonight so tomorrow I think I am going to start on the retainer rods.

Mike.

Here's the door retainer:

It's called the "Oven Lock" made by Safety 1st, a manufacturer of child safety products; at Home Depot (Safety 1st Appliance Oven Decor Door Lock-HS146 - The Home Depot)

You can see the whole deal in my thread... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/yet-...-170536-3.html
Old 09-05-2015, 06:22 AM   #208

Monaco Owners Club
Very nice Mike and I have seen Rick's install and it is top rate. So is Rick by the way.

It is nice to see this thread still alive after all these years.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #209

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Here's the door retainer:

It's called the "Oven Lock" made by Safety 1st, a manufacturer of child safety products; at Home Depot (Safety 1st Appliance Oven Decor Door Lock-HS146 - The Home Depot)

You can see the whole deal in my thread... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/yet-...-170536-3.html
Thanks Rick. I will check into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Very nice Mike and I have seen Rick's install and it is top rate. So is Rick by the way.

It is nice to see this thread still alive after all these years.

Bob
Thank you Bob. Sorry to hijack your thread. It was very informative and greatly detailed. Glad I stumbled across it.

Mike.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #210

@zmotorsports, You missed the Monaco International Rally this past summer in WI. A few attendees recognized Bob as the one who 'wrote the book' on installing RF197s in Monacos. He is quite the celebrity.