Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Bob,
Great post. I especially like the mooring fender locks idea. We were wondering what to use to keep the doors closed and they look like they not only will keep the doors closed but also provide one more safeguard to keep the fridge in place. Once parked with the straps removed the locks must be hardly noticeable.

Had to laugh at the photo of all of the Samsung parts piled up on the bed. Looked very familiar.

It sure will be nice to have a fridge we can actually depend on to keep food cold. Not to mention much larger and a real ice maker.

Nice job
Thanks Mark, we live in a small house so the motorhome bedroom was the best place to store them. We just finished with the travel straps on Friday and none to soon. We will be taking a trip in a week and will see how the new Samsung works out. I have already put my favorite ice cream out in the motorhome but would never have done that with the Norcold. Always waited until the day we were leaving with the Norcold.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Great job Bob. Have seen many postings of the change out by others. Sure is nice to have one done by an Engineer who provides all the details necessary, and fantastic pictures. Thanks so much,

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #17

Great job outline!!

I have two questions:

1) Do you ever come to Arizona?

2) How much for you to do mine??!!!

Great job !!!

Cory P.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #18

Well Bob it is now 12.39 in Knoxville. I just got done watching the slideshow and reading your input all I can say Bravo I know it has already been said but it deserves being said again. You did a GREAT job and it looks VERY nice. I am sure you and the little woman will enjoy many hours of nice cold "STUFF".

Thank You so much for doing this......
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bob......Nice picture story....Your photos really helped me to picture what I need to do to mine. The pictures of the levelers and wheels really gave me what I needed to see to possibly fit mine in the tighter space.

I was thinking about what might work for supporting the top to prevent any type of tip out. I thought about how dishwashers are secured at the top. With the space you have at the top on yours, could you slide an "L" bracket up behind the upper finished frame and secure it to a bolt in one of the hinges? Just a thought.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Bob......Nice picture story....Your photos really helped me to picture what I need to do to mine. The pictures of the levelers and wheels really gave me what I needed to see to possibly fit mine in the tighter space.

I was thinking about what might work for supporting the top to prevent any type of tip out. I thought about how dishwashers are secured at the top. With the space you have at the top on yours, could you slide an "L" bracket up behind the upper finished frame and secure it to a bolt in one of the hinges? Just a thought.
Thanks to all for the complements. Don, I thought about making a special bracket attached to the top hinges but did not. It is doable but would show and might need some work to make it pleasant to the eye. You might want to entertain the Rick T method of going in through the roof vent.

Bob
Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I do like the black.....after you told me you were putting in the black one, I started looking at mine more closely. Everything I have is trimmed in black. There really isn't that much stainless steel. My wife still doesn't think we need a new refer, even though she never packs it and doesn't know what a pain it is to place everything just right. We've discussed the replacement, but we are about to do a remodel on our house kitchen and her mind/imagination is stuck in stainless steel mode. Boy is she going to be surprised! :-)
Old 09-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I do like the black.....after you told me you were putting in the black one, I started looking at mine more closely. Everything I have is trimmed in black. There really isn't that much stainless steel. My wife still doesn't think we need a new refer, even though she never packs it and doesn't know what a pain it is to place everything just right. We've discussed the replacement, but we are about to do a remodel on our house kitchen and her mind/imagination is stuck in stainless steel mode. Boy is she going to be surprised! :-)
Don,

Here are my thoughts on the custom bracket. I tried to attach a PDF file and hope this works. If not will try something else. It is just a hand drawn sketch but hopefully will get the thought across. You need to make a left hand and a right hand bracket. It may take some doing to get the deminsions correct but with your skill I feel confident you will manage. There is a plastic spacer under each hinge that can be removed to allow space for the bracket. You may have to trim away a little of the plastic cover over the hinge for the bracket.

I see the sketch is turned the wrong way but just rotate it 90 degrees clockwise.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Samsung bracket sketch.pdf (54.7 KB, 559 views)
Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Now where's that cute little "clapping-hands symbol" picture? Sure is an appropriate time to use it here. Well-done, sir. I'd nominate this thread as the best one yet.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Nodine -- What 110 circuit are you going to use while on shore power, the one from the inverter , or the refer circuit -- If you`re going to switch circuits, how are you going to do this ? -- When you cut power to the frig, & the compressor is running, you have to wait 5 minutes before turning power back on to keep from short cycling the compressor -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
JDT

Bob, thanks as this will be a big help when Lowe's delivers our new one on Friday. I have most things ready, including the platform above the furnace and a mobile platform which as at the same level as the mounting platform. My problem is going to be dealing with the limited height which is about 71". Because of that I want to make sure I understand how you did yours, and I think I do. May have questions later.

I am mounting mine above my furnace also a will barely have enough room. My friend has an 04 Endeavor and just finished putting his in this week. He finally decided to take out his furnace so his sits on the floor. He had no choice really as it would not fit otherwise and he could not find a suitable fridge in a shorter size. Just a note, Monaco did add 3" ceiling height in 06 but they also did in 05 also. My ceiling is 3" higher than my friends but yours is 6" making things a lot easier for those with an 06 or later. Why Monaco did the ceiling height change in two 3" increments is beyond me.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
JDT......I'm pretty sure that yours will be the same as mine, unless they did the heater differently. My heater sits on a platform that is about 1.5" tall. The platform can't be changed because the external heater door on the outside of the coach is permanently located.

On mine, the measurement from the ceiling to the top of the heater is approximately 70.75". If you put a floor in on top of the heater, there won't be enough room. On mine I need .75" at the top so the doors won't hit my ceiling light. If I do mine, I will weld up a metal frame that will sit about a 1/4" lower than the heater top and then use 1/4" aluminum as the floor, cutting out the area where the heater is located. Once I have the refer in hand, I think I might be able to remove the wheels and replace them with metal skids (picture 1" wide skis) that will slide in on the metal floor and then through bolt the skids to the floor. This will still leave me about an inch of air space between the bottom of the refer and the heater. The skids would mount through the wheel holes with some welded brackets.

This is the only way I can see to get that unit in the opening in our coaches. Hope this helps. I'm really ready to do this. I enjoy projects like this. The only thing I'm not looking forward to his getting the new refer in the coach. My motor home sits alongside of my house and there isn't room to R&R the refers without moving the coach out of the backyard. The frontyard is on a hill. I'll probably have to take it down to the local supermarket and do the swap and then come home and make the base.

Bob's installation really helped me see what I needed to do. I also like the black trim he used around the opening. I wish I had his space to work with. I'm also having issues with the color. I'm really leaning toward the black. I might put up a sheet of tar paper and see what that looks like.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #27

We really appreciate all the great information on the Samsung. We are getting closer to the decision to put one in. We are really concerned about the height. Has anyone put one in an 04 Camelot yet? We have the heater below the refrigerator.
lekhuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The black nylon straps and latches can be purchased at most boating supply places or hobby supplies rather than robbing them from a life jacket. I've gotten them there some time ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote