RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #29
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Don you got my attention when you said you may have to make the fridge sway in the grocery parking lot and then take the coach home to complete the installation.

Hope you are aware the new fridge should remain in a vertical position.

Laying a fridge down can cause big problems with it, even if done on a short trip. Tilting it for entry into the coach should not be a problem, but don't lay it down for travel.

Just a heads up in case you didn't already know.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,
Excellent post !! very detailed. You have the exact coach as me. Now that you have figured out the correct method of installing a Samsung.... when can I bring mine over to you? Thank you for posting.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Rex.....Several have said that if you have to lay it over, you need to let it stand upright for at least 24 for hours to get the oil back into the compressor. Ihave an area where my recliner sits that I can stand the refer up. I'm really thinking about removing the large picture window where my recliner resides because the window goes down to about 4" from the floor. I just don't know how well the window is sealed to the coach. I don't want to damage the window and not be able to replace it. It would sure make the project easier.

I just retired last month and I'm already looking for projects. The refer is something I want to do, but my back is not looking forward to the swap. May have to make the son-in-laws do a little work. I was soooo bored this week that I called Source to get the new engine fan, but they were out of stock. I may have to go back to work if I don't find some less expensive projects.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #32
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Don if your window was installed like mine, there isnít much between it and the coach sidewall. There should have been some butyl tape but there was none on mine.

If you pull it, have someone on the outside holding it while you remove the screws from the frame inside, otherwise the window may just fall out.

You can use putty tape if when reinstalling it if you canít find butyl.

Hey congrats on the retirement. Just give it some time and you will soon be busier that when working. Yes projects help but now you have lots of time to plan and think them out.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Nodine -- What 110 circuit are you going to use while on shore power, the one from the inverter , or the refer circuit -- If you`re going to switch circuits, how are you going to do this ? -- When you cut power to the frig, & the compressor is running, you have to wait 5 minutes before turning power back on to keep from short cycling the compressor -- Bill Willard
Bill,

I run the Samsung plugged into the inverter outlet and leave the inverter and the AGS on 24/7. If the little wife cuts the grass, which she does every week, she unplugges the motorhome from the 50 amp service on the house. Can't afford to take chances if the Samsung is filled with food, so leave the AGS on also.

My comment about the outlet that is not from the inverter may have been confusing. I do not have anything currently connected to that outlet. If the inverter has a failure and I need to remove it, the other outlet will come in handy to keep the Samsung powered. Even if there is no shore power, that outlet can power the Samsung via the genset while I make inverter repairs.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Bob, thanks as this will be a big help when Lowe's delivers our new one on Friday. I have most things ready, including the platform above the furnace and a mobile platform which as at the same level as the mounting platform. My problem is going to be dealing with the limited height which is about 71". Because of that I want to make sure I understand how you did yours, and I think I do. May have questions later.

I am mounting mine above my furnace also a will barely have enough room. My friend has an 04 Endeavor and just finished putting his in this week. He finally decided to take out his furnace so his sits on the floor. He had no choice really as it would not fit otherwise and he could not find a suitable fridge in a shorter size. Just a note, Monaco did add 3" ceiling height in 06 but they also did in 05 also. My ceiling is 3" higher than my friends but yours is 6" making things a lot easier for those with an 06 or later. Why Monaco did the ceiling height change in two 3" increments is beyond me.
Jim,

Ask all the questions you desire. If you prefer, you can ask via privite message. If you can find time, take a few photos of your work because there are many who have less height than our 2006 Diplomat. Your work could help them.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutensteve View Post
Bob,
Excellent post !! very detailed. You have the exact coach as me. Now that you have figured out the correct method of installing a Samsung.... when can I bring mine over to you? Thank you for posting.
Thanks. If you come this way, I will certainly help you, and don't mind questions either.

Bob
Old 09-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #36
JDT

Don, give yourself some time to decompress from the everyday routine of working. Projects like this are good. I retired from a high stress job of managing a division with 195 employees and it took me a good year to settle into a new routine. I do work some (about 40 hours a month) building furniture in my home shop for my son-in-law, which I thoroughly enjoy. I tell my friends and church I will do anything for them, just don't put me in charge.

I am fortunate that I have a lot of space to work with as we live on a dead end street. Lowe's is going to bring mine in the coach with the doors removed, of course, and reassemble it as much as I want.

Bob, I'm thinking I will have to have the upper doors and control panel on before they put it on my mobile platform as it will be within and inch or two of the ceiling when sitting on it. Is that right?
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Bob, I'm thinking I will have to have the upper doors and control panel on before they put it on my mobile platform as it will be within and inch or two of the ceiling when sitting on it. Is that right?
I'm not Bob but... With ours I did not have the doors or panel on when we placed it on the dolly. It was so close to the ceiling I had to maneuver each hinge under the ceiling vent to gain enough room to work. Used a palm size ratchet and a small mirror. When the hinges and panel were on we had to be careful not to run it into the florescent light on the ceiling.

I think it would have been much easier to attach everything with it on the floor but heavier to lift onto the dolly. Also consider if you will have enough room to open both doors when it is in place to put the shelves in. I don't think we could have due to the left door not having enough room to to completely open.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Nodine -- My coach has the same inverter, with 2, 20amp circuits -- 1 powers the microwave, the other powers the bath, kitchen, & front tv -- You probably have your frig on the latter curcuit, & can overload it, if you use a toaster, hair dryer, or such, when the frig is running -- When on the road such things would probably not be in use, but when parked, that`s when a problem with over loaded circuit may happen --
In the storage bin, I ran a wire from the microwave circuit to a recpt. & installed a recept from the designated frig circuit, that comes from the breaker panel -- When traveling, I have the frig pluged in the inverter recept, & when I arrive & do my hook-ups, I plug into the frig circuit, making sure I wait at least 5 minutes before making the switch -- I use the microwave circuit while traveling, because we never use the micro while underway --
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig install 006.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	13665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig install 008.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	13666  

William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Nodine -- My coach has the same inverter, with 2, 20amp circuits -- 1 powers the microwave, the other powers the bath, kitchen, & front tv -- You probably have your frig on the latter curcuit, & can overload it, if you use a toaster, hair dryer, or such, when the frig is running -- When on the road such things would probably not be in use, but when parked, that`s when a problem with over loaded circuit may happen --
In the storage bin, I ran a wire from the microwave circuit to a recpt. & installed a recept from the designated frig circuit, that comes from the breaker panel -- When traveling, I have the frig pluged in the inverter recept, & when I arrive & do my hook-ups, I plug into the frig circuit, making sure I wait at least 5 minutes before making the switch -- I use the microwave circuit while traveling, because we never use the micro while underway --
Thanks Bill, I will look into that and may use the microwave circuit for the frig.

Bob
Old 09-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
...Bob, I'm thinking I will have to have the upper doors and control panel on before they put it on my mobile platform as it will be within and inch or two of the ceiling when sitting on it. Is that right?
Jim,

Definitely put all the shelves in and the doors on before setting it up on the dolly.

Bob
Old 09-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
In my case there is only about 25" clearance in front of frig cabinet so the doors could not be put on before lifting into cabinet. I solved the problem by putting Samsung RF197 in cabinet part way without doors leaving it tilted. It was tight but there is enough room on top to install hinges with a ratchet wrench, connect electronics and screw top section down using phillips thumb wheel tool.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #42
JDT

Okay, another question. How do you turn the thing on and off? All I could find in the manual was a store display mode for turning off the cooling only, but not to be used by the customer. I keep my coach plugged to 50 amp when at home but do not want the fridge running all the time. I was hoping it had an on/off button but evidently doesn't.

One solution I thought about is putting a switch on the outlet. There are a few spots on the panel on the right side I could add a 120 volt/15 amp residential type switch. Another is mounting the receptacle close to the vent panel underneath the fridge so I could just unplug it. The inverter circuit breaker on the breaker box will kill the power but it also kills all the other receptacles.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote