Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #71
JDT

Bob, now I get it. Thanks for making me a bit smarter today. I had not thought about leaving the inverter on full time so there is no interuption in power when I unplug from shore power. My assumption (there I go again) was that would be a bad thing.

I will be interested in how you add another inverter which I assume would be a pure sine wave type. You need to do another post when you do it. Thanks again.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Bob - Thanks for the great write-up and the photos - Gave me the courage to go ahead with the project. My old Norcold was still in pretty good shape, so I posted it on Craigs List and within a week I sold it to a rancher who lives off the grid whose old Norcold had died. New RF 197 is on the way from Direct Buy - I'll have less than $100 invested after selling, so it was an easy decision.
I'm lucky in that my Norcold was in the super-slide in my HR and the space under it is empty with a snap on access door on the front - So I think I can just remove the Norcold floor and the front wood pieces under it and just roll in the Samsung on the floor of the slide.
One Question - Does anyone know how thick the floor of the slide is on the Monacos? I don't want to run any securing bolts through it.
Thanks in Advance - The wife and I are really looking forward to the upgrade!!
azstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #73
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Paz,

There are no coils on the back of the Samsung and air does not need to flow up across the back. The coils are on the left and right side underneath the surface. There is a small, square heat exchanger at the bottom of the Samsung with a fan mounted on the surface. Air is pulled in from the bottom front of the Samsung and forced across that heat exchanger. In my opinion, removing the panel and leaving it off will not adversely affect the performance of the Samsung. If you feel better leaving it on just make sure you can get it off for service.

Bob
Bob, thanks for the reply.

I thought the back cover may be needed to direct the air flow over the heat exchanger; but you're probably right - there are enough holes in the bottom pan of the fridge and even vents in the cover itself, so the cover probably does little, if anything, to direct the air flow.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #74
JDT

Bob, you got me to thinking about how my electrical system works so I went out and got the owner's manual. I read through the house electric chapter and think I have a better understanding of it works now. I had read it before but way too long ago.

I read about the inverter including the manual on my Magnum ME2012 inverter/charger. I checked my settings on the remote control. Since I didn't pay enough money and get a higher end coach that had the AGS I got the cheap version of the monitor which only has shore, setup and tech buttons. I have the shore set to 50 amps.

Under setup I only have 3 selections: search, battery size and battery type. According to the book search is used to set the search watts at which the inverter will come out of "sleep" mode. Mine is set at 5 watts<. The options are 10, 15, 20, 30, 50 and disabled. Not sure what this means but do I have it set right? On battery size I have it set to 400<. Is that number set by adding the amp hours of the individual batteries. I have the original Workaholic batteries still in it but will buy new ones before next year's travel season. The battery type is set to flooded, of course.

Not sure it factors in but I do have the 50 amp Smart EMS system.

Sorry if this off topic a bit but I want to make sure I'm set up to handle the fridge. We have only used the inverter on rare occasions in the 6 years we have owned our HR. Want to make sure I'm doing it right. Don't want or need any problems running the new fridge. Our first trip since installing it is a week from Monday and can't wait to see how it goes.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Bob, now I get it. Thanks for making me a bit smarter today. I had not thought about leaving the inverter on full time so there is no interuption in power when I unplug from shore power. My assumption (there I go again) was that would be a bad thing.

I will be interested in how you add another inverter which I assume would be a pure sine wave type. You need to do another post when you do it. Thanks again.
Jim,

Do you have your present inverter in the last rear compartment on the street side? That is where mine is and my plan is to add the second inverter and maybe two more 6 volt batteries to that compartment. I will disconnect the 110 AC wire from the frig only circuit breaker in the breaker panel and route it to the compartment with the new inverter. That wire will connect to the output of the new inverter and is already under the Samsung as the old non-inverter outlet. It does not go anywhere else. I will route the output of the circuit breaker that was disconnected to the same compartment and it will be the input power for the new inverter. I also plan to tie all the batteries together so the AGS will sense the voltage on the new batteries. Otherwise the Samsung could pull down the new batteries and the AGS would not start.

Jim, PM me your email address and I will send you a PDF file that shows the AC outlet wiring.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:53 AM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azstork View Post
Bob - Thanks for the great write-up and the photos - Gave me the courage to go ahead with the project. My old Norcold was still in pretty good shape, so I posted it on Craigs List and within a week I sold it to a rancher who lives off the grid whose old Norcold had died. New RF 197 is on the way from Direct Buy - I'll have less than $100 invested after selling, so it was an easy decision.
I'm lucky in that my Norcold was in the super-slide in my HR and the space under it is empty with a snap on access door on the front - So I think I can just remove the Norcold floor and the front wood pieces under it and just roll in the Samsung on the floor of the slide.
One Question - Does anyone know how thick the floor of the slide is on the Monacos? I don't want to run any securing bolts through it.
Thanks in Advance - The wife and I are really looking forward to the upgrade!!
azstork,

Thanks for the kind words and good luck on your Samsung project. Glad we could be an inspiration. I am not sure of the floor thickness on the slide but suspect it is not as thick as the main floor.

Bob
Old 10-02-2011, 06:06 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Bob, you got me to thinking about how my electrical system works so I went out and got the owner's manual. I read through the house electric chapter and think I have a better understanding of it works now. I had read it before but way too long ago.

I read about the inverter including the manual on my Magnum ME2012 inverter/charger. I checked my settings on the remote control. Since I didn't pay enough money and get a higher end coach that had the AGS I got the cheap version of the monitor which only has shore, setup and tech buttons. I have the shore set to 50 amps.

Under setup I only have 3 selections: search, battery size and battery type. According to the book search is used to set the search watts at which the inverter will come out of "sleep" mode. Mine is set at 5 watts<. The options are 10, 15, 20, 30, 50 and disabled. Not sure what this means but do I have it set right? On battery size I have it set to 400<. Is that number set by adding the amp hours of the individual batteries. I have the original Workaholic batteries still in it but will buy new ones before next year's travel season. The battery type is set to flooded, of course.

Not sure it factors in but I do have the 50 amp Smart EMS system.

Sorry if this off topic a bit but I want to make sure I'm set up to handle the fridge. We have only used the inverter on rare occasions in the 6 years we have owned our HR. Want to make sure I'm doing it right. Don't want or need any problems running the new fridge. Our first trip since installing it is a week from Monday and can't wait to see how it goes.
Jim,

I am not sure what the Search watts means either but think it has to do with hysteresis on the inverter kick on kick off. In other words, if the inverter has been on and just turned off, how soon will it come back on. You could get into a situation where it would kick on and off and back on to soon because the batteries have a high drain or are bad. I do know that my inverter has the same settings as yours and works fine. Guess I need to get up off my duff and research that. You should have no trouble running the Samsung on the inverter unless your batteries are bad. Just turn the generator on if you do. As for the AGS, a lot of folks who did not have the AGS have installed the one made by Onan and rave about it. If I did not already have an AGS that is what I would do.

Good luck on the trip,

Bob
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bob,
I looked up Search Watts at Magmum. Here is what it says in their new revision to the manual for the ME series. Searching - conserving power and waiting for a load
to be turned on that meets or exceeds the search watts parameter (5 watts is the inverter
default setting). There is a standby power conservation mode on the inverter if it does not sense a AC load it will shut down inverting once a load exceeding the search watts setting is sensed the inverter will switch back on. BTW if you don't the new revised manual for the ME I would recommend you get it. It has a lot more information than the old one. Here is the link http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literatu...%20Series).pdf
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
Bob,
I looked up Search Watts at Magmum. Here is what it says in their new revision to the manual for the ME series. Searching - conserving power and waiting for a load
to be turned on that meets or exceeds the search watts parameter (5 watts is the inverter
default setting). There is a standby power conservation mode on the inverter if it does not sense a AC load it will shut down inverting once a load exceeding the search watts setting is sensed the inverter will switch back on. BTW if you don't the new revised manual for the ME I would recommend you get it. It has a lot more information than the old one. Here is the link http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literatu...%20Series).pdf

Thanks Dave, I downloaded the new manual.

Bob
Old 10-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I complement all you guys for a fantastic thread. There have been numerous posts relating to the pitfalls and the do's and dont's for this DIY project. Now if someone with the skills could just go through and put the threads in order from deciding which and where to buy the residential refer to measuring how quickly it hardened the ice cream somebody could be wealthy and I could get a fee for suggesting it.

Thanks to all the contributors.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
JDT -- You don`t need to add another inverter -- Your stock inverter will do the job -- Why you people are spending more money, & making such a big project out of this beats me -- It`s not rocket science -- I`ve had mine for almost a year, & in the middle of a trip now, & no problems with my cheapo install -- The slide floor is not really thick enough to screw down into, but you could use bolts like they use to fasten the couches, & come up under the slide -- My frig is in the slide, & I built the floor up with 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood, to make it even with the bottom cabinet rail -- Mine had a drawer under the RV frig --I removed the drawer to make room for the 197, but left the cabinet bottom rail -- I cut the drawer front down, & made a "shelf" to install lag screws thru the brackets where the leveling screws would be -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
JDT -- You don`t need to add another inverter -- Your stock inverter will do the job -- Why you people are spending more money, & making such a big project out of this beats me -- It`s not rocket science -- I`ve had mine for almost a year, & in the middle of a trip now, & no problems with my cheapo install -- The slide floor is not really thick enough to screw down into, but you could use bolts like they use to fasten the couches, & come up under the slide -- My frig is in the slide, & I built the floor up with 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood, to make it even with the bottom cabinet rail -- Bill Willard
Bill,

You are correct that the stock inverter and batteries will run the Samsung just fine. I have not made the final decision on installing a second inverter yet. The main reason I was considering that path was to get the Samsung on a private outlet and not have to worry about hair dryers and electric heaters. My interim solution is to install two 110 VAC outlets in the bath area that connect directly to the 20 amp outlet on the pedestal. I don't want to worry about switching the Samsung from one outlet to another and prefer to have it on inverter power 24/7. Also, I have a disease that requires me to have at least two projects planned or underway at all times!

Bob
Old 10-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
For got Pics--
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	14424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	14425  

William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
Well after wife read this thread she want's a samsung refer ,so ordered one today. Should have it in a couple weeks. The 1200 norcold has worked good but she says she wants a house refer.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote