RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Pulled the Norcold out of its hole this a/m and, after taking the doors off, the new owner took it out the entry door. The fit was very tight but it made it without needing to remove the cooling unit. I dismounted the passenger seat and took the door arm off so the door would open all the way. Glad I removed the seat, it wouldn't have fit if I hadn't.
I listed the Norcold on Craigs List on fri and sold it this a/m. The guy needed a fridg to replace the failed one in his old class C MH. He's living in it on 10 ac in SW Mo while he builds his house. He has no a/c power to the lot.

I spent the rest of the day removing insulation and infrastructure in order to lower the floor in the compartment to accept the Samsung.
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #86

We removed our Norcold Sunday. I took the passenger seat out and removed the awning arm so that I could open the door all the way. We did remove the cooling unit. Although there were four of us, it was nice to get the cooling unit out of our way. Norcold went out the door smoothly. I had to take the heater out because I needed the height but now the Samsung can roll into its spot. Only approximately 33 days to go. Of note, we noticed a burn spot on the ceiling where an exhaust pipe from the Norcold was.
lekhuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekhuset View Post
Of note, we noticed a burn spot on the ceiling where an exhaust pipe from the Norcold was.
Now there is a reason to replace the Norcold. This should be a warning to anyone that still has one and has not done the recall.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Now there is a reason to replace the Norcold. This should be a warning to anyone that still has one and has not done the recall.
Ours had a discoloration on the ceiling and the insulation padding on the wall next to the flue. I suspect that extending the flue any higher would result in putting out the flame while driving.
Funny thing, I got calls from two repair shops about it. They called me, but acted like they had no interest in buying it. I only asked $300 for it because my interest was in moving it not getting rich off it. In the end I would have had to junk it if I hadn't sold it. I don't have a place to keep it. The fellow who bought it is building a house on 10 ac and intends to stay off-grid. He doesn't intend to have power lines run onto his property. No he's not Amish!! These Norcold 1200 refers are getting popular with folks doing this apparently. There are aother gas units out there but he says they are really expensive and the RV boxes are the cheaper way to go.
Well, back to modifying the new hole for the Samsung!!
Ron
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #89

Our Norcold was taken to the dump. I did remove the maple door fronts which are cabinet doors. I have additional projects in mind so our storage unit is now a little fuller. Would like to remove the propane lines inside where the fridge and furnace were but I suspect it is the same line as the water heater uses. Any ideas on that?
Swede
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I must have bad luck at sales. I put our Norcold on Craigslist and here for sale. The cooling unit is a factory replacement only a year or so old and the circuit board a Dinosaur same age. Got three responses all trying to install it in a RV that is not big enough. The price is about half for the whole thing that it would cost for the two parts.

Oh well I will wait. Cleaned out a corner in the garage to store it until we get back from snowbirding south.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #91

Our Norcold was taken to the dump. I did remove the maple door fronts which are cabinet doors. I have additional projects in mind so our storage unit is now a little fuller. Would like to remove the propane lines inside where the fridge and furnace were but I suspect it is the same line as the water heater uses. Any ideas on that?
Swede
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #92
JDT

My water heater and other furnace is on the opposite side of the coach from the fridge. I left the furnace in place beneath the Samsung but did have to remove the Norcold supply line and cap it off. My fridge and furnace sits almost directly over my propane tank. They T'ed the piping right above the tank with one line going to the fridge and the other going to the other side of the coach. Would have been easy to take out the line I did not need and cap it.

Not sure if this helps as it all depends on how they did the gas plumbing and yours may be totally different.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #93

Yes, our propane tank and front furnace is on passenger side. Our fridge, removed back furnace and water heater are on the driver side. The water heater is in the back. I have looked but can't see a tee for the fridge and back furnace.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #94

Monaco Owners Club
Gettin ready to lower the floor in the MH to proper height for the Samsung RF197. The height with hinges is listed as 69 3/4 in. How much extra overhead should I leave for clearance etc? I don't have the furnace under the refer because I have AquaHot so I can go all the way to the floor but keeping the little drawer down there would be nice. I also need to build the platform to place it on to roll it in and out. I'm planning on using a movers dolly as the base and building on top of it. Anybody done that? Pulled the copper propane line and will now reroute the black pipe propane line back to the lower compartment and cap it. Gonna use it for the BBQ later. I've go a ton of propane and with only the stovetop using it I'll trade th coach in before I use it all!!
Ron
Old 10-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #95

Do any of you with the Samsung 197 know if the electrical plug will reach if I put my plug-in at the top of the hole?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
I would say no it will not reach. You want slack in order to pull Samsung out of hole anyway. An extension cord would work.
I moved my plug to inside rear door opening and used extension cord with right angle plug in order to have easy plug/unplug access from outside. Others have moved it to under shelf with access from inside. I felt that would interfere more with air flow in my case.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #97

Great, thanks. I am moving the outlets. In a way I am happy I have time to prepare but we fulltime so we are getting by on a 3 cubic ft fridge from Costco.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #98

Monaco Owners Club
Next question. Does the Samsung need a drain tube?
Ron